cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A B Switch

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
I have two coax inputs to use for my Dish Wally receiver. One input from roof top dish and the other input from outside portable dish. I am wanting to install an A-B switch to these two inputs to make it easier. However, I saw somewhere that since the Dish receiver sends power down the coax, an A-B switch is not recommended.

Does anyone use an A-B switch with a Dish receiver and does it work. What type switch is possible. Thanks
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler
8 REPLIES 8

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
I use a similar A/B switch to do exactly what you want. But the first thing I did to eliminate any issues was to re-run new coax to bypass the original installed old coax. No problems in 4 years. Chuck

Community Alumni
Not applicable
This is an update to what I posted here a few days ago.

I bypassed the A B switch and my signal still drops out so there is something no good in the RV wiring.

My plan is to abandon the RV wiring and install new coax to the the Wally.

Just an FYI

PS I tested 150 feet of Coax and it worked

JimR

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
hpdrver wrote:
Thanks for info. Just ordered the high isolation switch and will follow guidance on how to switch between A and B.

I mentioned 2 by several other 2's and more
HIGH Isolation v/s normal is another of the 2's.. High Isolation is best for most uses. Not sure it even matters for this. (Bit for sure it won't hurt)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for info. Just ordered the high isolation switch and will follow guidance on how to switch between A and B.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
hpdrver wrote:
I have two coax inputs to use for my Dish Wally receiver. One input from roof top dish and the other input from outside portable dish. I am wanting to install an A-B switch to these two inputs to make it easier. However, I saw somewhere that since the Dish receiver sends power down the coax, an A-B switch is not recommended.

Does anyone use an A-B switch with a Dish receiver and does it work. What type switch is possible. Thanks

A/B switches come in two (times at least 2) flavors. for this post I will deal only with one of the two.
Mechanical switches: Work just fine with power to the dish in fact they have a slight advantage over no switch (Will describe)

Electronc (remote controlled) may or much more likely will not work with Power to the dish .

With the mechnical switch

3 Terminals A, B and C(Common)
C goes to the Receiver
A goes to the Roof up "A-Bove"
B to the portable connetion down B-elow.

(Makes it easier to remember)

To hook up outside dish.> First switch to A Thus removing power from the "B" connection Now hook up OPPS I accidently shorted it. NO problem because no power

once connected switch to "B" and aim the dish

Disconnect: First switch to "A" now again if you screw up and short. NO problem.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I have a Pathway X2 on a Wally that goes through an A B Switch and I was getting a signal dropout. I changed from the switch to the Wally directly and no dropout.

But I could have a problem behind the switch so I will bypass the switch this week and connect to the coax that runs through the RV and test it out. My A B Switch is a factory install and is hidden behind a panel with just the A B buttons showing so I am not sure of what type it is.

This is a new install and I am still testing the system i.e. what works what does not how far can I run the coax ect ect.

JimR

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
If you use a high isolation A/B switch like this, you will be fine.

High isolation A/B switch

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
We had a similar issue when we had a DirecTV SWM system and found that unplugging the receiver (in our case, including the SWM power supply) prior to making any A-B switch changes eliminated any problems. Yes, you have to wait for everything to boot up again but no big deal in the big scheme of things.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams