Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Help! Water under the skin, delamination and damage.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Help! Water under the skin, delamination and damage.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh you are in trouble...they did not go to the aluminum frame until 2006...if it is a wood frame....well delam is your least of you worries OMG!!....you got a time bomb!

RachaelArcticFox

Sonoma County, California

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KKELLER14K wrote:

Oh you are in trouble...they did not go to the aluminum frame until 2006...if it is a wood frame....well delam is your least of you worries OMG!!....you got a time bomb!

OH NOOOOOOO! Guess it just keeps getting better (sigh) Thank you for telling me. Such a bummer! Saved up all my pennies for a time bomb. Learning opportunities can be expensive! :-(

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have done this repair on a previous camper. As folks have alluded, it is a big job but it can be done. I have the skills to do it but it is not fun when you want to be camping.

Be careful using silicon... it is not easily removed after put down. I would recommenced a latex caulk of sorts for any interim sealing you plan to do.

Please post pictures of your camper for us to see... it will help the very knowledgeable members better on their replies.

Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DO NOT USE SILICONE ON YOUR CAMPER. Use ProFlex RV sealant, it can be purchased on Amazon.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rachael, I found the name of the repair shop. Curt’s RV Service & Repair in LaGrande, Oregon,
(541) 962-1020
62851 Philynda Loop
La Grande, OR 97850

Lancey

vancouver

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KKELLER14K wrote:

Mid 04 if you want to get technical, all 2005's are aluminum, hence the "silver fox edition" that's what it means!

2005 arctic fox 990 silverfox
2008 Silverado ltz drw duramax 6speed allison

1999 Kodiak k99 / 2008 ford f450 6spd manual. SOLD
2000 citation supreme SOLD
1989 camperette SOLD
1985 okanagan SOLD
1990 northern lite SOLD
1995 northern lite SOLD
1997 Kodiak k99 SOLD

Lancey

vancouver

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RachaelArcticFox wrote:

KKELLER14K wrote:

OH NOOOOOOO! Guess it just keeps getting better (sigh) Thank you for telling me. Such a bummer! Saved up all my pennies for a time bomb. Learning opportunities can be expensive! :-(

Don't listen to him, his info is wrong

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Done a bunch of home remodels myself...If it were me, I would fix it myself, and soend the savings on a camping trip!!...I see this as maybe butt ugly but I don’t see this as terminal...I would make a east to west very shallow cut (no greater than 1/8” to avoid the aluminum stringers) just aft of the front cap radius (on the under-cab), remove the entire panel (which is filon atop of cheap luan plywood), eliminate the filon and replace with new luan say atop conventional 4’x8’ vinyl sheet material from a big box store then permanently cover the cut seam with a caulked trim strip ...The damage likely extends down to the vertical section beneath the cabover as well, but the process is still the same...I see no reason why this can’t be addressed by a semi-experienced DIY’er..

3 tons

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

..I see no reason why this can’t be addressed by a semi-experienced DIY’er..

Yeah. IMHO patient and careful DIYer will always do better job, than professional running on the clock.
Seeing how cheaply most of the campers are stapled together, I would never build it to such low quality.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/21 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geo*Boy wrote:

DO NOT USE SILICONE ON YOUR CAMPER. Use ProFlex RV sealant, it can be purchased on Amazon.

Agreed. Your everyday run of the mill Home Depot silicone is NOT designed to go bouncing down the road. Even the quality stuff that's designed for RVs needs to be refreshed every couple of years. The silicone will just fall off on your first trip.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Help! Water under the skin, delamination and damage.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.