Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Help! Water under the skin, delamination and damage.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Help! Water under the skin, delamination and damage.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lancey wrote:

Is it a "silver fox" edition 2005?...if so, its aluminum frame and if so,the "rot" might be only limited to the thin wood that's between the skin and the foam blocking and aluminum structure....while the repair it self is still on the large side, it's not as bad as some of the others.

I did this repair on my 2005 af990..

If its an aluminum frame why is the cab over drooping??

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1976 Ford F-250 6.4L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

FWC

The Wilderness

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RachaelArcticFox wrote:

Oh great to know, hard to hear. Sounds like you are far more capable than I am, looks like I’m gonna need to call in an expert!

Thanks everyone!

If you can't do this repair yourself, I think you need to seriously consider whether it makes financial sense to make the repair of if you should consider cutting your losses, selling this one to someone who can do a a DIY repair, and looking for a different camper.

I have never done this sort of repair, but from what others have said, it appears it will be time consuming. At a minimum of $50/hour for a repair person plus materials, this will add up quickly, and quite frankly it will never be as good as a camper that wasn't water damaged in the first place.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would call Northwood’s Mfg. in Oregon and ask them about an outfit in Oregon that does major repairs on Arctic Fox campers.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

and your project begins, hope your road is lined with success all the way.

Lancey

vancouver

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Lancey wrote:

Is it a "silver fox" edition 2005?...if so, its aluminum frame and if so,the "rot" might be only limited to the thin wood that's between the skin and the foam blocking and aluminum structure....while the repair it self is still on the large side, it's not as bad as some of the others.

I did this repair on my 2005 af990..

If its an aluminum frame why is the cab over drooping??

The filon delamonates, fills with water, turns into a birdbath and sags down in the middle, the cab over section itself is not sagging down...it behaves like a waterbed if you press on it...another fun tidbit, af used thick cardboard material between the filon and the wood veneer. It soaks up water like a sponge and would never dry out.

No you won't fall thru the bed, the stringers are aluminum as well, and block foam insulation glued between, nice part is, water can't really wick into the interior.

Having said that, the repair is still a big job, im a tradesman as well so it's just normal repair work for me. I dont recommend taking it on yourself if you don't feel you have the skill set to pull it off.

Also, I would have it inspected for more water damage before digging into it, the cab over water leak was only one of about 5 areas that I fixed due to water damage.....they are a nice well built camper, but water intrusion is a bit of a issue with them

If you can't do the repair work yourself, for sure get quotes...it won't be cheap.

2005 arctic fox 990 silverfox
2008 Silverado ltz drw duramax 6speed allison

1999 Kodiak k99 / 2008 ford f450 6spd manual. SOLD
2000 citation supreme SOLD
1989 camperette SOLD
1985 okanagan SOLD
1990 northern lite SOLD
1995 northern lite SOLD
1997 Kodiak k99 SOLD

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lancey wrote:

The filon delamonates, fills with water, turns into a birdbath and sags down in the middle, the cab over section itself is not sagging down...it behaves like a waterbed if you press on it...another fun tidbit, af used thick cardboard material between the filon and the wood veneer. It soaks up water like a sponge and would never dry out.

Thanks you for the explanation.

RachaelArcticFox

Sonoma County, California

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No you won't fall thru the bed, the stringers are aluminum as well, and block foam insulation glued between, nice part is, water can't really wick into the interior.

That's great to know at least I probably won't fall through, and I was worried about water leaking in and then sleeping in a mold pit!
The RV guy I took it to recommended I installed grates over some air holes to try to get it to dry out at least a bit. But from the little inspection I did, I think you're right, it seems like the cardboard is a sponge that will never dry out. At this point, I guess I'm going to continue to silicone EVERYTHING I can to at least keep more water from coming in, and pray I can have at least a few trips over this summer. Definitely was a long time dream to get a cabover camper, and boy did I learn about what to look for when buying used.
It really is heartening to know there's so much wisdom out there, so grateful for everyone taking the time to chime in on this thread, I'm learning so much!

RachaelArcticFox

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geo*Boy wrote:

I would call Northwood’s Mfg. in Oregon and ask them about an outfit in Oregon that does major repairs on Arctic Fox campers.

That is a great idea! Thank you!

RachaelArcticFox

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

and your project begins, hope your road is lined with success all the way.

I love this, reminds me that curveballs like this are part of the adventure of having a rig like this, I may as well get used to these sorts of projects, big and small. I guess the more projects, the more love I put into it. Thank you for the well wishes, they mean a lot!

RachaelArcticFox

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/21 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can't do this repair yourself, I think you need to seriously consider whether it makes financial sense to make the repair of if you should consider cutting your losses, selling this one to someone who can do a a DIY repair, and looking for a different camper.

I have never done this sort of repair, but from what others have said, it appears it will be time consuming. At a minimum of $50/hour for a repair person plus materials, this will add up quickly, and quite frankly it will never be as good as a camper that wasn't water damaged in the first place.

I appreciate this perspective, I think you are really right, probably best to enjoy the camper while I can in the state it's in, or perhaps with a few bandaids, then find someone capable who wants to take on the project, give them a sweet deal and cut my losses. I already made one less than ideal investment, it's smart to consider the financial viability of the fix. Thanks for sharing this, it's really helpful.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Help! Water under the skin, delamination and damage.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.