cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Van Storage of Camping Gear

Samarai
Explorer
Explorer
I travel with a 17' Casita TT pulled by a Chevy Express 2500 van. My fishing travels range from beach dry camping to mountain lake dry camping. I'm looking for ideas on storing gear in the van while carrying a kayak inside the van. Pictures would be very helpful.

Thanks for your help.
Bill/Bud (Westie) & Mago Chan
Casita SD 17'/Chevy Express Van/Whites V3 MD
USAF/Army Retired
6 REPLIES 6

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Consider a Thule Hullavator Pro or similar lift mechanism, takes almost all of the effort out of getting the boat up and down, if you're fit enough to paddle you should be able to use one.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Samarai
Explorer
Explorer
Toedtoes, that sounds interesting. I will play with the measurements needed for the kayak and see how that would work in my situation.
USAF/Army Retired

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I boss of mine has a sprinter and he built a bed platform inside. Under the platform, he can store the kayak (he did have to create a "niche" in the back door for the very tip of the kayak. The mattress sat on top of the platform at the back. By the side door, the platform tapered off to the driver side, providing a place to put "messy" items that he didn't want on the bed.

Since you don't need the bed, how about just making a platform to fit over the kayak? You can slide the kayak in the back doors. Everything else can be storedabove the platform and within reach from the side or back doors. You might want to add some tie down rings to the top of the platform to hold things steady with bungie cords.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
On curb side of most vans, you can stand in the opening. Even if you had to carry step stool, it would give more storage.
Step stool

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Samarai
Explorer
Explorer
Bud, thanks for the suggestion. My first thought is the roof is so high - getting to the carrier might be problematic for an old man like me. But, I will look into it.
USAF/Army Retired

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Why not look into a roof top carrier for some of the gear and maybe kayak?
Cargo carrier

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker