Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: GM Spokesperson admits energy to charge cars comes from coal
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GM Spokesperson admits energy to charge cars comes from coal

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/21 07:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Say goodby, pitch.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/21 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

95 percent of cobalt comes from China. Got to have it for those EV batteries

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/21 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Unfortunately this is how most people view owning an electric car.

[image]

And the ICE owners overlook how gas and diesel are made.

[image]

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/21 08:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

95 percent of cobalt comes from China. Got to have it for those EV batteries

Nope. It’s not. And cobalt is used in the refinement of gasoline.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/21 09:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

When the cost of a KWH of power triples you EV proponent knuckleheads on here will be the first ones bellyaching.

It is more likely to drop as more and more renewable energy comes "on line".

https://www.in2013dollars.com/Electricity/price-inflation

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/21 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a simple guy living in a complex world...so help me understand,

Elon Musk said--

This is because the overarching purpose of Tesla Motors (and the reason I am funding the company) is to help expedite the move from a mine-and-burn hydrocarbon economy towards a solar electric economy, which I believe to be the primary, but not exclusive, sustainable solution.

"move from a mine-and-burn hydrocarbon economy".

But to manufacture the car's batteries, requires the mining of cobalt, nickel, manganese and lithium.

Processing of Lithium Ore

The lithium extraction process uses a lot of water—approximately 500,000 gallons per metric ton of lithium. To extract lithium, miners drill a hole in salt flats and pump salty, mineral-rich brine to the surface. After several months the water evaporates, leaving a mixture of manganese, potassium, borax and lithium salts which is then filtered and placed into another evaporation pool. After between 12 and 18 months of this process, the mixture is filtered sufficiently that lithium carbonate can be extracted.

South America’s Lithium Triangle, which covers parts of Argentina, Bolivia and Chile, holds more than half the world’s supply of the metal beneath its salt flats. But it is also one of the driest places on earth. In Chile’s Salar de Atacama, mining activities consumed 65 percent of the region’s water, which is having a large impact on local farmers to the point that some communities have to get water elsewhere.

As in Tibet, there is the potential for toxic chemicals to leak from the evaporation pools into the water supply including hydrochloric acid, which is used in the processing of lithium, and waste products that are filtered out of the brine. In Australia and North America, lithium is mined from rock using chemicals to extract it into a useful form. In Nevada, researchers found impacts on fish as far as 150 miles downstream from a lithium processing operation.

Lithium extraction harms the soil and causes air contamination. In Argentina’s Salar de Hombre Muerto, residents believe that lithium operations contaminated streams used by humans and livestock and for crop irrigation. In Chile, the landscape is marred by mountains of discarded salt and canals filled with contaminated water with an unnatural blue hue. According to Guillermo Gonzalez, a lithium battery expert from the University of Chile, “This isn’t a green solution – it’s not a solution at all.”

China is among the five top countries with the most lithium resources and it has been buying stakes in mining operations in Australia and South America where most of the world’s lithium reserves are found. China’s Tianqi Lithium owns 51 percent of the world’s largest lithium reserve in Australia, giving it a controlling interest. In 2018, the company became the second-largest shareholder in Sociedad Química y Minera—the largest lithium producer in Chile. Another Chinese company, Ganfeng Lithium, has a long-term agreement to underwrite all lithium raw materials produced by Australia’s Mount Marion mine—the world’s second-biggest, high-grade lithium reserve.

https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.o........vironmental-impact-of-lithium-batteries/

(Formerly known as SPRey)
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/21 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! wrote:

I'm a simple guy living in a complex world...so help me understand,

Elon Musk said--

This is because the overarching purpose of Tesla Motors (and the reason I am funding the company) is to help expedite the move from a mine-and-burn hydrocarbon economy towards a solar electric economy, which I believe to be the primary, but not exclusive, sustainable solution.

"move from a mine-and-burn hydrocarbon economy".

But to manufacture the car's batteries, requires the mining of cobalt, nickel, manganese and lithium.
And these items are not burned to power the vehicle. Eventually they will be recycled and reused in the next vehicle or some other use. Gasoline & diesel is never recycled, only burned.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/21 09:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

And these items are not burned to power the vehicle. Eventually they will be recycled and reused in the next vehicle or some other use. Gasoline & diesel is never recycled, only burned.

I wish that was true---from that same article

Recycling Lithium-Ion

In Australia, only two percent of the country’s 3,300 metric tons of lithium-ion waste is recycled. Unwanted MP3 players and laptops often end up in landfills, where metals from the electrodes and ionic fluids from the electrolyte can leak into the environment.

Because lithium cathodes degrade over time, they cannot be placed into new batteries. Researchers are using robotics technology developed for nuclear power plants to find ways to remove and dismantle lithium-ion cells from electric vehicles. There have been a number of fires at recycling plants where lithium-ion batteries have been stored improperly, or disguised as lead-acid batteries and put through a crusher. Not only have these batteries burned at recycling plants, but auto makers are seeing battery-related fires leading to vehicle recalls and safety probes. In October, U.S. safety regulators opened a probe into more than 77,000 electric Chevy Bolts after two owners complained of fires that appeared to have begun under the back seat where the battery is located.

Because manufacturers are secretive about what goes into their batteries, it makes it harder to recycle them properly. Currently, recovered cells are usually shredded, creating a mixture of metal that can then be separated using pyrometallurgical techniques—burning—which wastes a lot of the lithium. Alternative techniques, including biological recycling where bacteria are used to process the materials, and hydrometallurgical techniques which use solutions of chemicals in a similar way to how lithium is extracted from brine are being investigated.

It is estimated that between 2021 and 2030, about 12.85 million tons of EV lithium ion batteries will go offline worldwide, and over 10 million tons of lithium, cobalt, nickel and manganese will be mined for new batteries. China is being pushed to increase battery recycling since repurposed batteries could be used as backup power systems for China’s 5G stations or reused in shared e-bikes, which would save 63 million tons of carbon emissions from new battery manufacturing.

Pyrometallurgical (aka smelting) for nearly 100% efficiency is performed at ultra high temps (1,550° C).

On edit--for a good unbiased read of lithium battery recycling https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlehtml/2020/gc/d0gc02745f#cit10

* This post was edited 04/26/21 09:51am by Timmo! *

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/21 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Unfortunately this is how most people view owning an electric car.

[image]

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/21 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

If a highway has coils installed there would be no reason to stop to refuel an electric vehicle at all.

LOL, let's dig up all roads and install coils. A tall order seeing that it's almost impossible to keep up with maintaining the road surface itself, let alone burying coils along with the infrastructure needed to feed them.

Would it not be easier to mill in slots, or how about installing overhead catenary and equip EVs with trolley poles?

Where is Nicola Tesla when we need him and his wireless electricity?

Just caught the end of a commercial for some new brand EV, forget the name, reservations being taken at the low low price of $69K and change.

When the cost of a KWH of power triples you EV proponent knuckleheads on here will be the first ones bellyaching.

How aboot we let em do it in Canada first, EH.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GM Spokesperson admits energy to charge cars comes from coal
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.