Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: GM Spokesperson admits energy to charge cars comes from coal
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GM Spokesperson admits energy to charge cars comes from coal

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/21 06:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

[sarcasm]Yep, yep. I'm sure that's right. After all, the last 4 years with a administration trying to stop any chance of slowing climate destruction, there was no development in EVs[/sarcasm]

I thought that your political views weren't welcome here.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 06:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

The original Volt had a gasoline engine/generator on board to charge the battery and propel the car when the battery was out of energy, an ingenious design.

An earlier comment asked the question why auto manufacturers are jumping on the EV bandwagon if not having an eye on the future. Could be the 100+ billions of dollars in the proposed infrastructure bill for the manufacturers to go BEV might be the answer. The tax payer subsidizes the factories, subsidizes the purchase price and subsidizes the cost of clean energy production and distribution.

Ingenious yes, Bev no. A hybrid, yes.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

[sarcasm]Yep, yep. I'm sure that's right. After all, the last 4 years with a administration trying to stop any chance of slowing climate destruction, there was no development in EVs[/sarcasm]

I thought that your political views weren't welcome here.

You are likely right, but a right statement

Could be the 100+ billions of dollars in the proposed infrastructure bill for the manufacturers to go BEV might be the answer. The tax payer subsidizes the factories, subsidizes the purchase price and subsidizes the cost of clean energy production and distribution.

does not count I guess.

LowRyter

OKC

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have to wonder how much better the next generation EVs will be? Will the charge range go to 500 miles? 1000? 10000?

I see the Germans are trying to catch up with Tesla. Teslas are status cars there. Saw my first EV Porsche and Audi recently. Honda plans to go all EV. So are the domestic companies.

I guess it's nice to see America products first in technology for a change. I hope I can find a practical and affordable EV.

John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/21 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

Yes ICE power comes from refining oil. But then so do tires, plastics, lubricants, medicines, rayon/Dacron and just about all clothing/cloth not made from cotton or wool. Those who want to eliminate oil know not what they will give up. We may not need fossil fuels but we will still need oil and by products. I wonder if they can refine oil to get the valued products without also making gas or diesel and if not, what do they do with it?

As far as coal, can’t make good quality steel without it.

EV’s are the near future for personal transportation. The jury is still out for ocean going vessels, trains in remote areas, big earth movers, and long haul trucks in actual use.

Project much? I will take one guess at your political party. Only a right winger with limited fact exposure would believe claim or refer to the banning of all petroleum products.
No one of normal intelligence has ever claimed or alluded to anything near that idiotic statement
The goal is to reduce burning petroleum products as much as practical, they're use in thousands of other products will continue and more than likely expand.

Lantley wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

TurnThePage wrote:

Sorry. I don't get it. According to your apparently all encompassing title, we in the northwest will never own electric cars because we don't have coal power.

Electric IS the future. Quit trying to poopoo it.

Well electricity isn’t provided by ferry dust!

That's the beauty of EV. Electricity can be generated in multiple ways.
However gasoline comes from only one source.

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/21 09:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, it is "green" to...

1. Consume millions of gallons of water to mine lithium via a production processes that my native state, California, would never permit--due to the environmental destruction. (OK to destroy land that is far away?)
2. Mine an element that has an extremely limited supply. Lithium makes up 0.0007 percent of the Earth’s crust. Chile produces most of the element for the world market, with Australia coming in second.
3. Consume 3,000 - 32,000 gallons of water to extinguish an EV fire (while at the same time requiring installation low flush toilets in new homes requiring 2-3 flushes).
4. Create an energy cell (lithium battery) that is both a fire hazard and has killed many people (including 34 people that burned alive in the dive boat Conception).
5. To recycle said energy cell at near 100% efficiency, the material must be smelted at 1500°C (over 2700°F).
6. To fire said smelter to over 2700°F, will surely require fossil fuels (transported by those ugly diesel truck tankers, as pipelines are no longer chic, Keystone).
7. When I was young, I remember being told that nuclear power is a great source for alternative energy (it burns no fuel and no greenhouse pollutants are emitted). Problem was what to do with the spent fuel rods, as there was no operational plan to transport and store them.
8. What is the plan to transport, store and recycle the nearly 13 million tons of EV batteries when they are replaced during 2021-2030?

IMO, strategies of "hope" are usually destined to failure; as not everyone will do the right thing, at the right time.

(Formerly known as SPRey)
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

FWC

The Wilderness

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! wrote:

So, it is "green" to...

1. Consume millions of gallons of water to mine lithium via a production processes that my native state, California, would never permit--due to the environmental destruction. (OK to destroy land that is far away?)
2. Mine an element that has an extremely limited supply. Lithium makes up 0.0007 percent of the Earth’s crust. Chile produces most of the element for the world market, with Australia coming in second.
3. Consume 3,000 - 32,000 gallons of water to extinguish an EV fire (while at the same time requiring installation low flush toilets in new homes requiring 2-3 flushes).
4. Create an energy cell (lithium battery) that is both a fire hazard and has killed many people (including 34 people that burned alive in the dive boat Conception).
5. To recycle said energy cell at near 100% efficiency, the material must be smelted at 1500°C (over 2700°F).
6. To fire said smelter to over 2700°F, will surely require fossil fuels (transported by those ugly diesel truck tankers, as pipelines are no longer chic, Keystone).
7. When I was young, I remember being told that nuclear power is a great source for alternative energy (it burns no fuel and no greenhouse pollutants are emitted). Problem was what to do with the spent fuel rods, as there was no operational plan to transport and store them.
8. What is the plan to transport, store and recycle the nearly 13 million tons of EV batteries when they are replaced during 2021-2030?

IMO, strategies of "hope" are usually destined to failure; as not everyone will do the right thing, at the right time.

Is it 'green'? No. Is it 'greener' than mining 1,488,000,000,000 gallons of oil every year, using it precisely once, then dumping it all into the atmosphere? Yes.

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/21 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's an interesting piece on how un-green solar panel manufacturing was as of 2014...

https://spectrum.ieee.org/green-tech/solar/solar-energy-isnt-always-as-green-as-you-think

• 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! wrote:

So, it is "green" to...

Are you right sure you want to bring water into the discussion?
You mentioned Keystone. The same company has had many leaks in other lines. And the routing of that 1, a leak could contaminate the fresh water source for several states. Fracking has the tap water in some areas burning. And a lot of water is used in the process. Then there have been tanker dumping loads, and wells exploding putting crude in the ocean.

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/21 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moral of the story: Follow the money, as "alternative energy" is a nothing but con game.

Replacing bad with "not so bad, we hope".

Yes, let's bring water into the discussion. Second reason why I moved from So Cali to Oregon.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GM Spokesperson admits energy to charge cars comes from coal
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.