cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2022 Superduty launch delayed

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chip shortage is continuing to impact. Posted on Blue Oval Forum production start is delayed to 6/24.

I'm personally beginning to get a bit nervous as I suspect my 5th wheel will be available sooner than I have a truck to pull it.
38 REPLIES 38

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear that. My Silverado was built yesterday. Will be watching the transportation events. At least I know that they will not ship via rail from Flint. Just hope that the front bumper does not get damaged in shipping. That had been a problem, and delayed the Denali a month last December.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like watching paint dry... I hope this wait will be worth it.

Ordered 3/15
Boneheaded move by the dealer shifted my order date to 6/5
deleted Adaptive steering Early July (indefinite delay)
Finally scheduled late mid august
rolled off line 9/6
spray in bed liner completed 9/16
Sat until 9/26 when I requested assistance from Ford to get it moving
It was supposed to be trucked from KY to MI, but true to my frustration, it got put on a rail car.
I have access to the rail movement status, and it's worse than watching paint dry.

I have a new appointment to pick up the 5th wheel on Monday 10/11, and I suspect that will be missed. RV dealer has been freaking awesome through this whole process, but I've also kept him in the loop all along. I need to receive the truck Saturday morning to make the RV appointment... 700 mile drive one way.

I sure hope this will be worth it. Our time is severely compressed to get ready for our FL trip in mid November. Having the wife basically stage everything we are putting into the camper, because I think it's going to come down to throw it inside and go. We'll straighten it out and organize later. Additional factors, we're having Morryde IS installed two days before we leave. Another factor, I'm still working... for now.

I see the writing on the corporate wall, don't get the jab, lose your job. That won't impact our plans at all, but I'll have to turn in all my corporate stuff. Going to be hard to do that 1200+ miles from home.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Campinfan wrote:
PhilH---your local Ford dealer does not even have any Superduty trucks listed on their website. Let us know when you hear anything positive.

No dealers have any inventory ๐Ÿ˜ž

The market is still a huge challenge ๐Ÿ˜ž

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
PhilH---your local Ford dealer does not even have any Superduty trucks listed on their website. Let us know when you hear anything positive.

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
lenr wrote:
...or someone named Joe...

LOL. Every morning when he looks in the mirror, he asks "who's that guy" and the response from the hallway is "someone named joe."
The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
lenr wrote:
According to several Internet stories, a company named Renesas suffered a significant fire at their Japanese chip plant in March. They supply about 2/3 of the chips used by the auto industry especially Ford, Toyota, and Nissan. So, Ford order delays have nothing to do with Covid, the economy, or someone named Joe, and everything to do with "just in time" inventory used by the auto industry. Renesas expects full production sometime in July.

Clear the chip issue out of the way, and there are other segments that are struggling.

Years ago on a launch, everybody breathed a sigh of relief when a launch on a new vehicle was delayed. My employer at the time was barely able to stay ahead when the plant was running at 10-20% of capacity. They tricked the system into accepting they were ready for production, when in fact they couldn't keep their head above water. When the delay info was transmitted I called a close friend in another segment, was it you? LOL. Turns out, yet another company was having a 90% scrap rate, and finally cried uncle!

Why is Toyota not having problems with the current chip shortage? Years ago when the nuclear power plant shut down in Japan, Toyota was greatly impacted and decided to review JIT sourcing and determined computer chips were a critical issue and increased the amount of stored inventory.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
According to several Internet stories, a company named Renesas suffered a significant fire at their Japanese chip plant in March. They supply about 2/3 of the chips used by the auto industry especially Ford, Toyota, and Nissan. So, Ford order delays have nothing to do with Covid, the economy, or someone named Joe, and everything to do with "just in time" inventory used by the auto industry. Renesas expects full production sometime in July.

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
curt12914 wrote:
...I just looked up the email from the General Manager at the Ford dealer from when I ordered my truck. I was wrong when I told you that I ordered in mid-February. I ordered my truck on Friday, January 29, 2021 at 11 AM.I picked it up on Tuesday, March 20. As I said, it was actually at the Ford dealer sometime the week before, but I was out of town.

I guess my question is why my truck took a little less than two months and you ordered in early December and you still haven't received your truck?

I am guessing that Ford has a vehicle allocation process that allocates orders to dealers. Even if the dealer has a sold order, it will not be accepted into the system.

That's what I was told about my 2022 order. Dealer has several allocations for their own spec, so he put my order in as one of theirs spec'd the way I want it. It got me a place in line because they could put the order in to save my spot sooner but allowed me to finetune options for a while before the order was actually placed. Now thinking I won't see the truck until late fall, maybe even next year the way things are going.

I guess different dealers tell different stories.

The local dealer that I buy from is a small dealer. I deal with the general manager when I (we) buy vehicles. He tells me that customer ordered vehicles have priority over vehicles ordered for dealer stock.

I had planned to order in March for May delivery (after the chance of snow). In January, I received a $2500 off coupon on a new vehicle, that expired April 30. I was also able to get an X Plan number, so I decided to go ahead and order.

Part of the deal was a set of Ford fitted floor mats (Weather Tech style). The mats came in after the truck. When I picked up the mats, the dealer told me that if I had waited 2 weeks later to order, I probably wouldn't have got the truck for months (probably fall).
2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some are getting build date confirmation now. Mine hasn't floated into being scheduled yet.

stsmark
Explorer
Explorer
Last weekend 2 rough redwood 2x4s 43.00 wowser.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
mosseater wrote:
Even if I could place an order for a cap it would be around $3K! What a mess.

$3K truck caps, $22.00 2x4's, $80.00 plywood, $3.00รท gal gas, welcome to uncle Joe's America.

Yup, just replaced the plywood on a small utility trailer took 3 sheets @ $77 ea. Nearly as much as the trailer is worth ๐Ÿ™‚

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:
Even if I could place an order for a cap it would be around $3K! What a mess.

$3K truck caps, $22.00 2x4's, $80.00 plywood, $3.00รท gal gas, welcome to uncle Joe's America.

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
This whole microchip doesn't seem to be getting any better, according to this article.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/07/chip-shortage-is-starting-to-have-major-real-world-consequences.html

"If you listen to Ford, BMW, Volkswagen, they all highlighted that thereโ€™s bottlenecks in capacity and they canโ€™t get the chips they need to manufacture the new cars,โ€ he said, adding that he thinks it will go on for 18 months.
2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
curt12914 wrote:
...I just looked up the email from the General Manager at the Ford dealer from when I ordered my truck. I was wrong when I told you that I ordered in mid-February. I ordered my truck on Friday, January 29, 2021 at 11 AM.I picked it up on Tuesday, March 20. As I said, it was actually at the Ford dealer sometime the week before, but I was out of town.

I guess my question is why my truck took a little less than two months and you ordered in early December and you still haven't received your truck?

I am guessing that Ford has a vehicle allocation process that allocates orders to dealers. Even if the dealer has a sold order, it will not be accepted into the system.

That's what I was told about my 2022 order. Dealer has several allocations for their own spec, so he put my order in as one of theirs spec'd the way I want it. It got me a place in line because they could put the order in to save my spot sooner but allowed me to finetune options for a while before the order was actually placed. Now thinking I won't see the truck until late fall, maybe even next year the way things are going.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH