Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Unrecognized photo
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Unrecognized photo

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/21 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was looking though one of the books Grand Ma left me. The photo a tin type said on the back Wm Taylor --- and someone I couldn't read at Cherokee camp at Cowan 18 something.
I couldn't make him out rel well so I got a magnifying glass.

Keith Richards? Didn't look a day over 75.

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/21 01:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Down home, I'm a little confused. Grandma left you pictures of tintypes in a book or did she leave you "actual" tintypes, not just pictures of them. I have some of the actual tin types inherited from my grandparents and great grandparents. Just before the Civil War soldiers spent a hefty amount of money (as compared to the meager amounts of money they made before 1861) to have these tintypes made of them to give to their sweethearts, wives, and mothers just before they left for war. This would be the way the soldiers in their uniforms would be remembered if they never returned from war. Not too long into the Civil War, along comes a fellow by the name of Matthew Brady who and his crew would cover the countryside taking photos of entire families on their farms using lens plates. You have probably seen in the old movies of a man putting a dark cloth over his head while he was looking into the camera standing on a tripod and had some gun powder which would explode on a long tray held by the photographer at the time everyone was ready for the picture to be taken. Anyway, those pre-Civil War tintypes and Matthew Brady pictures have become valuable and sentimental to descendants of those families. Many have been destroyed because these pictures were not stored correctly in a dry and dark location. These pictures could be a part of your family's heritage.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What? [emoticon]

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/21 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The photo didn't matter. It was just another joke about Keith Richards, who is still performing recently had anther baby.
The ti type of Great Grand father is dated on the back in smeared ink or something 1857 I think. Mom;s ancestor showed up in Franklin County tn pre 1800, his Grand dad and declared he was half Cherokee, to save his hide, from the Cherokees. Moravian Missionary christened him Chikamaka, mentioned in the Tn Bureau of Indian Affairs around 1800 and in 1813.

Chikamaka is proper spelling and they were around before the Cherokee. "Crazy Men of the Mountains."
An Uncle said he or soem of our Ancestors were "Bridge Builders from Mexico." And...I have found nothing on that.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Unrecognized photo
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.