Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: So are there any decent 1141 replacement LEDs these days?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> So are there any decent 1141 replacement LEDs these days?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/21 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About 5 years or so ago I bought one of those cheap-o twenty-count boxes of LED lightbulbs for interior RV fixtures. 1141 bayonet base style.

They look kind of like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/JAVR-10-3000K-Replacement-Interior-Lighting/dp/B071G5Q643

They worked OK to start with, but very quickly they started giving off an electrical/ozone kind of smell, and individual LED banks on the bulbs started flickering and eventually burning out. Most of them still work but are partially burned out to one degree or another.

I'd like to buy some more and I hope that over the years they have gotten better, but reading Amazon reviews many are still experiencing similar problems.

Then, too, it's hard to trust online reviews today with all the fake padding of reviews going on.

This one seems highly rated:

https://smile.amazon.com/Antline-20-Packs-Replacement-Trailer-Interior/dp/B08DFGSHG2

Can anyone suggest quality 1141 LED replacements?

Thanks,
Steve

1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/21 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What happens is your converter puts out a higher voltage than the cheaper bulbs can stand. Look for bulbs with a larger voltage range tolerance. I've had leds in my coach for years without no burnouts, but I have a DC/DC converter that keeps it all at around 12.8

* This post was edited 04/26/21 08:39am by 2oldman *

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/21 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just got a 10 pack from Amazon to replace all my basement compartment lights. Fairly new so no comment there but they are bright. Long term will have to wait. I also replaced my outside door light and that one has been on for about a month straight (I tend to forget it)

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/21 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

What happens is your converter puts out a higher voltage than the cheaper bulbs can stand. Look for bulbs with a larger voltage range tolerance. I've had leds in my coach for years without burnouts, but I have a DC/DC converter that keeps it all at around 12.8

Any bulb designed for vehicle use should be fine to at least 14 volts.

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 2 nutty cats...RIP, Maya ">
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/21 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had good luck with leds from superbrightleds.com.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/21 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced my lights with LEDs several years ago and like you had problems and was not satisfied with them so I tried a few others with about the same result until I got These from Amazon not cheap but the performance and light is amazing.

If you find it hard to trust online reviews today with all the fake padding of reviews going on,I would suggest using Fakespot to find trustworthy reviews. I always use it for my purchases from Amazon and have found it trustworthy.

As with this product,Fakespot Review

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/21 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

These from Amazon not cheap but the performance and light is amazing.
Yes, and it says this in the description:

-"This LED is designed to withstand a wide operating voltage range for RV Camper Trailer Motorhome 5th Wheel and Marine Boat."

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/21 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

IAMICHABOD wrote:

These from Amazon not cheap but the performance and light is amazing.
Yes, and it says this in the description:

-"This LED is designed to withstand a wide operating voltage range for RV Camper Trailer Motorhome 5th Wheel and Marine Boat."

Something is wrong in the description in the Amazon link above if you read the actual description text.

"1156 / 1141 Base LED Replacement Bulb 300 LUMEN 10-24v Natural White - Beam pattern: 120 degree. -Description- -Bright 300 Lumens, 1156/1141 wedge base 120 degree angle bulb -Built with the finest LED lighting technology and materials. -Wide Voltage Range: 10-18 Volt DC"

First is states 10-24V and then it states 10-18V.

Which voltage range is it?

Granted 18V will be "compatible" with RV charging systems that have possibility as much as 15V, it doesn't leave much room either..

That is a narrow voltage range and indicates that it is a cheaper LED that uses a current limiting resistor or nor current limiting at all.

Generally you should be on the lookout for the ones that state 10V-30V as those are using a switching power supply setup in current limiting mode.

Ones using current limiting resistor or no current limiting will vary in brightness with variations of the voltage and tend to run rather hot when run at upper limit voltages..

All one can do is buy a small qty and try it.. If it doesn't work, try a different one. I quit recommending specific brands as they come and go like the wind..

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/21 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't get all in a huff about the voltage disparity. Many CREE circuits advertise a 10-30 volt input range. What I see is the upper 20% limit allows the circuit to get hotter which may not be tolerated too well in hot climates. Active voltage regulation is performed by switching which means electronic noise.
Simply adding a 3 amp axial diode to the 12+ supply wire will automatically drop voltage about .6 volt. This would mean a reduction from 14.0 to 13.4 volts. Heating reduction can be dramatic. Lifespan could be increased from a few hundred hours to decades lifespan.
I've made night lights out of bright LED lamps by using a diode on the + Side and a second on the - side.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/21 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mex, I was pointing out an discrepancy in the Amazon page.

That discrepancy is in the voltage rating.

The vendor first states range of 10V-24V which makes it look like a "wide voltage range".

But when you scroll down the page and read the smaller details it states 10V-18V which is not a very wide voltage range.

If vendor can't get their info right before posting it on Amazon, I tend to believe that vendor is selling less than stellar quality items making them sound far better than they are when I see discrepancies like that..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> So are there any decent 1141 replacement LEDs these days?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.