cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

repairs

Old_Camper_1960
Explorer
Explorer
I've read that you should clean and lubricate both dump valves yearly. I bought a used class B+ in late 2019, not sure if previous owner ever did that. I'm pretty handy, but a little nervous about taking them apart. My question is: has anyone ever done so, and will I be opening a can of worms? Any suggestions will be very appreciated. Thank you.
3 REPLIES 3

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did something similar to Iamichabod's video except I just drilled a pilot hole and installed a grease fittings one for black and one for gray. Every couple of years I just pump some grease into valves and work the handle back and forth and they become easy to open again. For some reason the black tank dump valve is the one that needs more lube than the gray.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really don't think they need cleaning but lubricated yes.

I have used this method for many years to lubricate my valves and have had no problems with them at all.

This Video will show how to do it
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Where are they located?

If they are right at the outlet, it's pretty simple. 4 bolts and the come apart (make sure to fully drain the tanks of course before pulling the bolts).

If they are remote (operated by cable), it can be more challenging getting to them (often they are hidden under the underbelly covering with no easy access) but once you have access it's not greatly different.

While I wouldn't discourage lubing them, regular use is probably the best way to keep them operational.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV