cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinions on lightweight portable inverter/generators

bfacklam
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at purchasing a lightweight inverter/generator for my pickup camper. Looking at 2,000 to 2,500 watts. Mainly for coffee maker, nebulizer and recharging phones and computers. After reading many review and reviews, I have settled on either a Westinghouse IGen 2200 (46 pounds) Inverter Generator or Champion 2500 Watt Portable Generator (39 pounds). Thought about Harbor Freight Predator. Can some of you that own either of these give me any advise on which one of these would be a good purchase. Or do you own a different brand that you are happy with. Final question, do most of you purchase from big box stores, or try to find a place that will service what you purchase. Thanks for any advise.
85 REPLIES 85

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
zb39 wrote:
I used to have 2 Honda 2k gensets. If I didn't run them once a month they got gummed up. I don't run them that much. After messing with them a few times I sold them and bought one that I can drain the gas out of the carb. It runs my AC or my electric fireplace. $399 at Sams. Love it

But, you CAN drain the Honda carb.

https://youtu.be/Spn8Zx_cIz0
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
zb39 wrote:
I used to have 2 Honda 2k gensets. If I didn't run them once a month they got gummed up. I don't run them that much. After messing with them a few times I sold them and bought one that I can drain the gas out of the carb. It runs my AC or my electric fireplace. $399 at Sams. Love it

What $400 inverter generator can run an a/c?
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
full_mosey wrote:
moonlightrunner wrote:
My goddaughter works for Harbor Freight. She is a freight supervisor. This is what she tells me.... The Tailgator generator is garbage and no longer sold. If you buy a generator, get the extended warranty and if you have a problem, just return it. She says most of the people who use HF genny's on their RVs or other heavy use, exchange them before the warranty runs out, even if they are running fine. I use her 20% off employee/family discount for everything I buy from HF. My goddaughter knows the return rates on all the HF gennys. There are a couple that she refuses to promote (the Tailgator was one). She recently came home all excited about one of the new inverter gennys. This is the one she is going to put on her new-2-her truck camper (13.5BTU Air). She is also going to add a conversion kit so she can run it on LP. https://www.harborfreight.com/4400-watt-inverter-generator-with-co-secure-technology-epa-iii-57509.html

You're joking, right?
Yea right. That is not small or lightweight.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I get a kick out someone starting a genny thread on here, kinda like asking if you need a dually to pull the pop up. :R

Also seems like the Honda folks are really concerned about needing service and parts. :h

I have run a Predator for house back up and a Champ for camping. No problems or parts needed.

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
moonlightrunner wrote:
My goddaughter works for Harbor Freight. She is a freight supervisor. This is what she tells me.... The Tailgator generator is garbage and no longer sold. If you buy a generator, get the extended warranty and if you have a problem, just return it. She says most of the people who use HF genny's on their RVs or other heavy use, exchange them before the warranty runs out, even if they are running fine. I use her 20% off employee/family discount for everything I buy from HF. My goddaughter knows the return rates on all the HF gennys. There are a couple that she refuses to promote (the Tailgator was one). She recently came home all excited about one of the new inverter gennys. This is the one she is going to put on her new-2-her truck camper (13.5BTU Air). She is also going to add a conversion kit so she can run it on LP. https://www.harborfreight.com/4400-watt-inverter-generator-with-co-secure-technology-epa-iii-57509.html

You're joking, right?

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Just commenting on the generator part of the conversation as I have never had any solar. You are all correct in your points about parts and rebuilding as well as new carburetors. Any one who's had a generator for some time will need a new carb and that's after the first couple of rebuilds. The bottom line is you get what you pay for. Honda has parts readily available but at a premium price, the parts for my two small generators come directly from china with no dealer reps other than Home depot and they send for the parts from china but that was clearly my trade off as I purchased two of them for the price of one Honda. Is the Honda a superior unit? In my opinion you bet it is. With that said I understand they too are no longer made in Japan but China.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Barry W wrote:
https://www.jackery.com/
I purchased this portable (1500 + 4 100 watt panels) solar generator for my house for short power outages. I took it to cape lookout for our annual fishing trip. It kept my snow river camper batteries Charged for two weeks. I was impressed to say the least. No generator noise the entire trip, Priceless! Barry

4 100 panels = full charged batteries. nada to do with the jackery.

"short power outage". Maybe a couple of hours? My RV needs to run 24/7

My class c currently has more than twice the wattage storage of the (expensive) jackery at 1/6 the cost.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Barry W wrote:
I purchased this portable (1500 + 4 100 watt panels) solar generator for my house for short power outages. I took it to cape lookout for our annual fishing trip. It kept my snow river camper batteries Charged for two weeks. I was impressed to say the least. No generator noise the entire trip, Priceless! Barry

I still see $2,699 price tag on your link?

Barry_W
Explorer
Explorer
2006 F350 4x4 DRW CREW CAB 6.0

SNOWRIVER 9'6" DINETTE ALL WEATHER PACKAGE

FIRESTONE AIR BAGS
RANCHO 9000X SHOCKS

HONDA EU2000

1000 WATT INVERTER

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
The parts distribution evolved over the years.
I do rebuild small carburetors for decades and in the past, new orings for B & S engines was annual thing.
Now, when after 15 years of use the carburetor on my Honda 3000 start acting, I could not find rebuild kit. Had to buy whole new carburetor. It wasn't too expensive, but still.

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
If I have a problem, I can go to a local Honda dealer and get my Honda generator repaired
It may sit there for 2 weeks before they can get to it regardless of brand

My point was call them and they will tell you if there is a local service center near you. We have 2 local small engine shops near by that service Champions. Do they have parts on hand? I do not know.

One shop also sells and services Honda products. The other is just service.

That hasn't been my experience.

Many years ago, we were in Richmond, VA for a NASCAR race. It was a very hot weekend and we were camped at a flea market about a mile from the track, where there was not a bit of shade. One of my Honda generators would not stay running. I took it to a local Honda dealer, where I had never been a customer. He took the part I needed (carburetor spacer) out of a brand new generator to get me going. I left with a repaired generator, and he did it under warranty)!

Go into a local shop that sells generators other than Honda or Yamaha and ask about parts or service. Every one I have encountered (and I am sure there are exceptions) stocked few common parts and farmed their service out to an outside repair shop.

We also have several local small engine shops that work on Champion products, along with just about every other thing that has a small engine. I don't know of any that stock anything more than parts that fit many engines (like spark plugs, starter rope, common filters, etc.

Again, I'm not saying Champion, or any other product, is not a good product. What I am saying is parts and service availability is not anywhere close to what Honda or Yamaha has. Although, I have had very good service from my Hondas, I have not found any product that can't have problems and usually when you really need them.
2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

Explorer II
Explorer II
If I have a problem, I can go to a local Honda dealer and get my Honda generator repaired
It may sit there for 2 weeks before they can get to it regardless of brand

My point was call them and they will tell you if there is a local service center near you. We have 2 local small engine shops near by that service Champions. Do they have parts on hand? I do not know.

One shop also sells and services Honda products. The other is just service.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
curt12914 wrote:
A friend of mine has a 2400 watt Champion with remote start. The generator has been really good and I would love the remote start over going out to pull start my Hondas.

My biggest concern with the Champion (and many other brands) is parts and labor availability. if I have trouble with my Hondas (and I have had very little), I can always find a Honda dealer close by. To me, the dollars I could save are not worth one ruined trip.
Just call 1 877-338-0999 for Champion parts and local service. They sent me a pull cord assembly free of charge.

That is precisely my point.

If I have a problem, I can go to a local Honda dealer and get my Honda generator repaired. Champion has no local dealers. The stores near us that sell Champion products stock no parts and have no in-store service.

If I was in the middle of a camping trip and depending on my generator (which I have done many times), my trip would be ruined.

My friend has had good luck with his Champion and I think they are a good product, But without a local dealer, parts and service netork, I will pay more for a Honda (or Yamaha).
2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors