Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Opinions on lightweight portable inverter/generators
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Opinions on lightweight portable inverter/generators

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/21 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

This is contractor grade generator. With inverter technology is going to be quieter, but still you will not be welcome with it at campgrounds.

Yup. And a cheep one at that.
Understand saving a buck and not going team red or blue. But you get what you pay for.
I think that 4000W Horrible Freight special comes with a complimentary box of earplugs though!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

NVR2L82AV8

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/21 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Numerous Campgrounds, and even National Parks, are getting real testy on Generator noise.

I just saw that Yellowstone National Park has LIMITED Generators from 8am until 8pm in Seven parks (Bay Bridge, Canyon, Fishing Bridge, Grant Village, Madison, Mammoth and Norris). There is a noise limit of 60 decibels.

I know just ONE Genny that can operate under load at that noise level.

Check out the dBA Chart at 100% Load

* This post was edited 06/15/21 01:57pm by NVR2L82AV8 *

2013 AF 990
2003 F350 6.0L 4X4 DRW, Oil bypass filter, Coolant Filter, Blue Spring fuel pressure mod, DELO ELC, DashBoss Bluetooth engine monitor, EGT/FP gauge, SuperSprings, torklift hitch/tiedowns, 48" SuperTruss, fastguns, Kenwood CMOS Backup Camera.

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/21 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The National Park standard is at 50 ft not 23 ft that the list has.

* This post was last edited 06/15/21 08:59pm by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/21 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

The National Park standard is at 50 ft not 23 ft that the list has.

Just adding that FitRV tested 3 RV generators of different fuel types in motorhomes, and they all passed at 50 ft.

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/rv-generator-sound-off/

woodworker414

Crystal City,Mo.

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/21 05:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

imh425
Interesting video of the 3 different generators
Thanks for sharring.

Brenda and Bill
2020 Lance 1172, our traveling rig
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.
2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, CC, 4x4, LB, duals, DuraMax

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/21 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bfacklam wrote:

.... Looking at 2,000 to 2,500 watts. Mainly for coffee maker, nebulizer and recharging phones and computers. ....

The first step should be to do an energy audit and reduce consumption if feasible.

There are plenty of great coffee maker options that work with water heated by your propane stove. Get rid of the electric coffee maker and the need to run a generator just to make coffee.

Power consumption for the rest of the items you mentioned should be minimal and can be done directly at 12 volts or with a very small inverter and little consumption of power. That is certainly true for charging cellphones. There are plenty of nebulizers that operate on built in batteries which can also be easily recharged with little power consumption. We have 12v chargers for out Dell laptops and power consumption is low.

You should not need a 2K or larger generator unless you also want to run a a/c unit or microwave. If you do need a larger generator, then I also recommend a Honda.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/21 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NVR2L82AV8 wrote:

Numerous Campgrounds, and even National Parks, are getting real testy on Generator noise.

I just saw that Yellowstone National Park has LIMITED Generators from 8am until 8pm in Seven parks (Bay Bridge, Canyon, Fishing Bridge, Grant Village, Madison, Mammoth and Norris). There is a noise limit of 60 decibels.

I know just ONE Genny that can operate under load at that noise level.

Check out the dBA Chart at 100% Load

The Yamaha 3000 sieb is 57 db.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Supercharged111

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/21 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I take the dB readings with a grain of salt. Is there an industry standard in how they are measured?

2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/21 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Supercharged111 wrote:

I take the dB readings with a grain of salt. Is there an industry standard in how they are measured?

I don't know that they are 100% appleas to aples comparison.
But again our ears aren't 100% equal either[emoticon]
The ratings are what they are and usually are given at a certain distance.
In the end you can take the saving of an off brand or the reliablity and paets availablity of the established brands.
I agree the marketplace has changed over the last 10 years.
The off brands like Champion have replaced brands like Kipor.
The gap between the brand names and the off brands has shortened.
But there is still a gap in quality and price.
If you rely on your genset every camping trip, name brand is the way to go.If you only use your genset occasionally or don't camp very often, taking the savings of an off brand model makes more sense.
Reliability and parts availabilty are factors that seem unimportant when purchasing, however down the road these factors can be the difference betwen having power when you need it and hauling a brick around.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

restlessways

Limbo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/21 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was reading this thread and just thought I'd chime in. 4 years ago I bought a Westinghouse 2400. POS. It was surging from day 1, and would shut down at times due to vapor lock or some other issue. I tried their tech support which was beyond useless. Some idiot reading from a manual telling me to take things apart when I didn't even have any replacement parts, etc. I ended up returning it to HD and buying a Honda 2200. I use the Honda every day in the summer not only to power my 5th wheel on my summer property, but to run power tools as well. Conservatively, I would estimate the hours to be well over 2,500 at this point. The only issues it ever had was a fuel leak from an improperly tightened screw from the factory, and a worn out pull cord which I replaced myself. I would never buy another brand.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Opinions on lightweight portable inverter/generators
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.