Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Opinions on lightweight portable inverter/generators
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Opinions on lightweight portable inverter/generators

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
memilanuk

Dry side of the Cascades

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bird Freak wrote:

Friend of mine bought a Harbor Freight generator with replacement warranty. never had a problem but every couple of years he takes it back and say's it dies after running a couple of hours. They give him a new one. repeat process!

I don't think I'd be claiming someone like that as a 'friend'. Just sayin'...

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the other hand, there’s probably a lot of failing Harbor Freight generators for them to give him a new one so easy.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

curt12914

Bombay NY (5 miles from Quebec, 15 from Ontario)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/21 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend of mine has a 2400 watt Champion with remote start. The generator has been really good and I would love the remote start over going out to pull start my Hondas.

My biggest concern with the Champion (and many other brands) is parts and labor availability. if I have trouble with my Hondas (and I have had very little), I can always find a Honda dealer close by. To me, the dollars I could save are not worth one ruined trip.

2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

curt12914 wrote:

A friend of mine has a 2400 watt Champion with remote start. The generator has been really good and I would love the remote start over going out to pull start my Hondas.

My biggest concern with the Champion (and many other brands) is parts and labor availability. if I have trouble with my Hondas (and I have had very little), I can always find a Honda dealer close by. To me, the dollars I could save are not worth one ruined trip.

Good Point.
One ruined trip due to a faulty genset will wipe out all your savings real quit.
Even worse is a ruined/cancelled trip because you could not obtain parts or service in a timely manner.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Supercharged111

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You guys got me curious about my Briggs and Stratton for parts availability. Generically speaking there looks to be a good bit. I need to get my hands on the manual for my particular model to see if what they do carry actually fits my model. Got mine back in 2016. The gas gauge immediately fogged over once I splashed a little gas on it, the display flashes but still functions, and the wheels are pathetically cheap. Aside from that it's faithfully chugged along, I'm nearing 1000 hours on it. I think I want a name brand 4000kw unit to replace it when the time comes. Got a camper and a trailer to feed now that the trailer is wired.

2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/21 01:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Few things I detest more when camping out in the sticks than the sound of a generator drawling away for hours at a time. Can't hear the sasquatch sneaking up on me.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/21 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:

Few things I detest more when camping out in the sticks than the sound of a generator drawling away for hours at a time. Can't hear the sasquatch sneaking up on me.

It sucks when it not your generator. [emoticon]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1976 Ford F-250 6.4L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/21 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can sit on my Honda EU3000 having it under lower load and I can make conversation in normal voice.
Seem the 1000W Sportsman is louder, but that might be due that is always running on loads above 50%.
Most of the time I can hear camping noises from spots hundred ft away louder, than my generators.
Do you snore?

* This post was edited 11/05/21 01:08pm by Kayteg1 *

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/21 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

curt12914 wrote:

Just call 1 877-338-0999 for Champion parts and local service. They sent me a pull cord assembly free of charge.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/21 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:

It sucks when it not your generator. [emoticon]

I have my solar setup which does the trick most of the year. The closest I come to a generator is idling the truck for a while. Not efficient I know but it works well enough for the short periods of time I do it. Far quieter too.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Opinions on lightweight portable inverter/generators
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.