Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Rv-ers prefer Duramax?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Rv-ers prefer Duramax?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll bit.
I do see lots of GM Dmax pulling rv trailers/big rv boats/large rv (show/sport) horse trailers.

I'm always looking at rigs pulling some type of GN flatdeck and even enclosed trailers for a living.

Since 1958 I've owned 14 pickups which most were GM products....three were Dodge/Cummins....two one ton Fords.

I see more Ford SD and Dodge/Rams HD in this type of work with GM a very distant third. IMO the reason is most (not all) GM dealers won't discount deep like Dodge/Ram and Ford truck dealers around here anywayz.

For pulling a RV any of the big three HD diesel pickups works fine.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

LowRyter

OKC

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For sure I see more Fords in fleets and Dodges as self owner work trucks. But more Duramax at RV camping.

Perhaps I should clarify.

My truck has held up OK. The dash went out after warranty and GM gave me parts but I paid labor. One of the crappy Firestones blew out a left front when I was towing and I had to change it on I-10 in Fla! I know someday it will need the dreaded water pump. And who knows what might blow! Diesels are expensive to fix.

But it does have great seats that are good for 12+ hours. It's pretty quiet and has a good ride. It has an old Bose stereo and I need to plug in a cassette converter to play my phone music.

* This post was edited 04/27/21 07:31am by LowRyter *

John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s highly regional. Whether towing or not, in any specific area you will likely see more one brand than the other. I remember seeing a map one time that showed brand sales by state. And each brand dominated in certain states.

#1Flyboy

California

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Duramax is made by DMAX & is an Isuzu designed engine, on my second one, no issues on either one....Both stock & well serviced...

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/21 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

Lets see, all those early Duramax injector failures cost many around $4500 to replace. But that was early on so that does not count, just like the 6.0 and 6.4 Powerstroke don't count.

What was it costing to fix the dodges back then, probably a bit cheaper on whatever was breaking, probably those wonderful transmissions they had. I am sure you know know how much just an actuator costs if it goes on the 6.7 cummins if its a dealer having to repair it. I do [emoticon] Pretty common on the 6.7 Cummins. This brand loyalty is kind of nuts.

I drove a 99 Superduty 7.3 Powerstroke for 16 years ,and it was nearly flawless, other then some worn parts as time went on . I wish I could say the same about this 2014 6.7 Cummins , but I can't, not even close at this point.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/21 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

I'll bit.
I do see lots of GM Dmax pulling rv trailers/big rv boats/large rv (show/sport) horse trailers.

I'm always looking at rigs pulling some type of GN flatdeck and even enclosed trailers for a living.

Since 1958 I've owned 14 pickups which most were GM products....three were Dodge/Cummins....two one ton Fords.

I see more Ford SD and Dodge/Rams HD in this type of work with GM a very distant third. IMO the reason is most (not all) GM dealers won't discount deep like Dodge/Ram and Ford truck dealers around here anywayz.

For pulling a RV any of the big three HD diesel pickups works fine.

Just got back from an Arizona trip with the RV ,and about 30 other couples with their Rv's that we meet with every year in different parts of the western US. I had some truck problems , and it really surprised me when we got to talking the problems ALL these new trucks are having , everything from Turbos's to a broken crankshaft on 6.7 Powerstroke. These trucks are pretty new, , nothing much over 5 years old, I am probably one of the oldest with my truck being 7 years old , and very low mileage at 58K.

Yes ,they all work fine ,until they don't. Pick your brand .

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Well here in the PNW I see mostly Fords and Rams.

x2

EYEMLOST

See Above

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Well here in the PNW I see mostly Fords and Rams.

I concur.

I also concur; this thread smells of troll...

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FlatBroke wrote:

Me Again wrote:

Lets see, all those early Duramax injector failures cost many around $4500 to replace. But that was early on so that does not count, just like the 6.0 and 6.4 Powerstroke don't count.

My GM dealer replaced my 03 injectors for $2900. It had 145000 miles on it, but gave me the “loyalty price” because of the early failures. The Indy dealer wanted $5000

If it was less than 7 years old then you got charged $2900 too much.
But not like the Flowerjoke of that era was any better and I put injectors in my “bulletproof” 07 5.9 Cummins at about 120k miles. Only difference is they were much easier to replace so it was like 6 beers and most of a Saturday to do them. Plus I wouldn’t touch a Dodge 48re back then with a long stick.
Bottom line, if a guy wanted the best overall diesel pickup in the early/mid 2000s, the Dmax was it.
Unless you got bad injectors.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

20 year anniversary of the Duramax, 30+ with the Cummins.
The 2nd and 3rd versions of the Powdersmoke didn’t make it 10 years, collectively.

First one produced is displayed at the Cummins Engine Plant.

[image]
[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Rv-ers prefer Duramax?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.