cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much is too much voltage from chargers 14.6v?

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering if a converter charger or solar controller putting 14.6v into Lithium batteries is too much for the fridge, water heater, furnace and 2000w inverter?
7 REPLIES 7

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
If you look at the label, each device will give the acceptable voltage range.

But I wouldn't be too worried as that's not unusually high for a charger.

That does not seem to be the case. My LED bulbs and NovaKool refrigerator are rated to at least 15 volts, but I could not find specs for other devices including: furnace, water heater, Flojet pump, toilet pump.

No, the 14 plus volts is not high for charging but that does not mean that devices are OK with that voltage. Many older LED bulbs would not handle it.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
DAS26miles wrote:
Wondering if a converter charger or solar controller putting 14.6v into Lithium batteries is too much for the fridge, water heater, furnace and 2000w inverter?
Odds are you'll probably be ok. However, we had the same concern.

FWIW, Battleborn recommends not floating their lifepo4 batteries at 14.6v for more than 2 weeks. As a result, we passed on the Progressive Dynamic single-stage 14.6v lithium converter and kept our 3-stage Progressive Dynamic 13.2v/13.6v/14.4v converter to use with our lifepo4's. We charge them at 14.4v (using the Charge Wizard) for 2-4 hours (99% SOC), then we float them at 13.6v until we need to bulk charge again---maybe 2-4 days later.

Sure you can charge lifepo4's to 100% SOC using 14.6v. However, what do you gain by doing so? Unlike lead acid batteries, Lifepo4's don't do well sitting around for long periods of time with a very high state of charge. They do best stored long-term with a ~50% SOC. Ultimately, I just don't understand all the hoopla about using a lithium specific 14.6v charger for lifepo4's---especially the single-stage versions.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Iota IQ4 smart converter outputs 14.84Vdc during bulk charging, don't monitor our solar controller much but it is set @ 14.8Vdc, and alternator in our motorhome can exceed 15 Vdc for short periods of time, never noticed any issues with items posted.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even though 14.6 is top of the range for lithium it might be higher than needed to get a full charge. And a virtually full charge of 98% can be obtained quickly at 14.2 volts. While for decades we have been determined to get lead-acid to tip top 100% to prevent sulfation this just puts extra stress on lithium. Other components are generally good to 15.2 volts.

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you look at the label, each device will give the acceptable voltage range.

But I wouldn't be too worried as that's not unusually high for a charger.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
No 14.6 is commonm equlization/boost voltage from many converters.

Also 12.6+/-20% goes to over 15 volts. (though some folks design for a smaller range 20% is recommended tolerance)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times