cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/4 ton diesel vs. gas

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Because of quite expensive repairs on my diesel (see signature) it has got me thinking. I am half way contemplating trading for a 3/4 ton gasser. My diesel tows very well, so I am wondering: would a 3/4 gasser’s towing performance be comparable to my Duramax, or would it be more like a “beefed up” version of the 1/2 ton gasser I used to tow with years ago? On trips I am towing 8500-9000 lbs.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!
71 REPLIES 71

blt2ski
Time to take this to the top stuck diesel vs gas.
All I know, the new rigshave mower power than when I bought first new truck in 81. 100-200 hp was the low to high end, 150-300 lb ft of torque. Mostly 3 so transmissions, with some manual 4 spds thrown in for good measure.
ALL the current offerings will tow just fine with 6-10 sp tranny's, 200-400hp, 300-1000 lb ft of torque. Buy what suits you.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:
Don't forget to add the various ways any 2008+ diesel can dump enormous bills in your lap with no warning. Say, an exhaust filter (sell your first-born), an injection pump ($1500+), new injectors ($2000+), perhaps a turbocharger ($4000+ even if it doesn't blow up anything else).

Waaaaaaa....stop buying Fords...lol!

You can ignore the cost if you must , so buy a Cummins instead ,I notice thats your choice ? I wish they were better, and I wouldn't have had to dump 2K into it for an actuator about a week ago. Kind of was stuck being 600 miles from home, learned a lesson ,but never the less had to get it repaired .

Towing my fifth fifth wheel from Camp Verde, AZ headed home made it just about 45 miles, about 15 miles from Flagstaff , for anyone that hasn't towed that route its a pretty good 60 mile drag, got the dreaded CEL . Truck was running pretty sluggish could tell it wasn't getting a lot of boost. Only choice got it to a dealer , bad actuator. To the dealers credit ,they did a good job, truck ran great the rest of the way home . 4 day delay before they got the actuator, and got it repaired . From what I have read I was lucky they had one coming to get mine replaced . Apparently a bit hard to come by Mopar reman ,or new.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
mlh wrote:
Does anyone else notice how every time the discussion gets into vehicle comparisons or capabilities, three people on the rv.net forum are always right and are condescending to everyone who doesn't agree? Its getting old.

Yeah and its getting worse since I joined in '03.
IMO its time for RV.net to make this website a bit more friendly to those that seek a serious solution to their questions/problems instead of what we usually see such as whats going down on this thread.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

What deafening noise? Maybe if your exhaust is rusted out.

Our V10 is smooth and quiet. You can hear the change in pitch when you get up to 3000rpm but nothing deafening.

Talk of 5500rpm is just trying to sooth his ego to justify why he paid so much more for a diesel.

Again, you have to figure that you only tow a 7,500 lb trailer with a V10 which any half ton on the market can do(even the 3.0L diesels). One can say pulling such a small load with a V10 that is rated to tow 15k is soothing an ego just to justify a gaser. Start pulling closer to that V10's max ratings up hills at higher speeds than 60 mph(if you can even get there) and you will know what 5,500 rpm sounds like.

Again, this in the range of size the OP is talking about. He is not talking about towing a 15k trailer.

And again, when referring to a gas engine screaming at 5k, they are meaning when it actually tows a heavy load, not a light 7.5k trailer. Doing the math on how much horsepower you are making at 3k, I don't see you towing very fast up even slight moderate 3% grades even with a light 7.5k trailer. According to the specs on your engine(making 457 lb-ft at 3,250 rpm) and calculating parasitic drive-train loss along with elevation loss, you need to be over 3k to make enough power to tow at higher (or normal to me) speeds up an incline greater than 3%. Either that or you are going slower than 60 mph.

Also, the OP already stated he is having his diesel fixed and keeping it so it is al moot at this point.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
Oh well, shoot , if I knew you could get your oil changed for less than $30 ida bought a gasser.....hey, check your calendar, it’s not 1985 any more...
Some of you guys are so full of ____. You can’t even buy the oil and filter for les than $30.....
Why is this place like who can make up the biggest story?

Just got it changed yesterday for $28.58 including taxes.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
ShinerBock wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

What deafening noise? Maybe if your exhaust is rusted out.

Our V10 is smooth and quiet. You can hear the change in pitch when you get up to 3000rpm but nothing deafening.

Talk of 5500rpm is just trying to sooth his ego to justify why he paid so much more for a diesel.

Again, you have to figure that you only tow a 7,500 lb trailer with a V10 which any half ton on the market can do(even the 3.0L diesels). One can say pulling such a small load with a V10 that is rated to tow 15k is soothing an ego just to justify a gaser. Start pulling closer to that V10's max ratings up hills at higher speeds than 60 mph(if you can even get there) and you will know what 5,500 rpm sounds like.

Again, this in the range of size the OP is talking about. He is not talking about towing a 15k trailer.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:

No value troll post.

Fair assessment, if you can show where you post really anything other than incessant bitsching about diesels!
Pot met kettle!
Cheers man!

No, I am warning people about the potential for driveability problems and CELs that NOBODY can fix, and the wallet-shattering cost of repairing a modern diesel. It is a real issue, and denying it is not honest.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:

Yes: the potential repair bills have gotten MUCH larger! For the cost of a bad HPFP, a failed exhaust filter, or a bad turbocharger on a diesel, you can put a rebuilt engine in a gas truck.

While you're correct, the diesel component repairs you mention are more expensive or even something that wouldn't be encountered with a gas rig, it's a gross exaggeration to even compare the cost of replacing any one or even 2 of those components apples to apples with the cost of say replacing an entire engine in a modern HD pickup.

I could pay 3x as much for a part at the dealer and 2x as much for dealer labor to replace and compare it to pulling my own LS motor and getting it freshened up and re-installing myself, but apples to apples you're way off base.

Question is what do you want or need or prefer?

I can ride a bicycle even cheaper than a Ford V10...

I suspect you are attempting to make some sort of point here...but it's incomprehensible.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:

Good thing I have a Cummings then!
But I did sell our 07 last fall with 180k miles more than I bought it with in 2008 for $4k less than I paid for it in 2008....true story.

If you had waited until right now, you probably would have broke even. It is crazy out here in the Pacific Northwest right now.
I picked my my 2017 Gasser 3500HD long bed crew cab 4x4 with 27,000 miles on it for 36500 out the door summer of 2019. Same exact truck in two spots around here with 36,000 and 34,000 miles are selling for 43,000 and 44,900. It is crazy!
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MFL wrote:
^^^^While I am always right, I can't be one of the three bad apples, as I'm not condescending to the people that are wrong. I even allow them to think they are right! 🙂

Jerry

Yeah, me either.

Not it!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Devo the dog wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Oh well, shoot , if I knew you could get your oil changed for less than $30 ida bought a gasser.....hey, check your calendar, it’s not 1985 any more...
Some of you guys are so full of ____. You can’t even buy the oil and filter for les than $30.....

Because the majority of diesel owners lie and the majority of cummins owners lie more than any of them.

BTW, I have a stack of unused filters for the V10 that I bought years ago. So, an oil change costs me about $30 per year.

On the other hand, the oil, oil filter and fuel filters for the Ram was expensive in comparison. It didn't matter to me though because I knew in advance.

Someday, I'll replace the plugs on the V10 again. But based on the miles I drive it, it won't need plugs until 2030, at the soonest. In comparison, I bet the Ram will have a few new owners, a bunch of recalls, a new AC system, etc. Furthermore, everyone of them will brag about towing 20,000 lbs up 15% grades at 80 mph, while getting 25 mpg. Then, they'll brag about selling it for more than they paid for it. LOL.

Good thing I have a Cummings then!
But I did sell our 07 last fall with 180k miles more than I bought it with in 2008 for $4k less than I paid for it in 2008....true story.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
^^^^While I am always right, I can't be one of the three bad apples, as I'm not condescending to the people that are wrong. I even allow them to think they are right! 🙂

Jerry

mlh
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone else notice how every time the discussion gets into vehicle comparisons or capabilities, three people on the rv.net forum are always right and are condescending to everyone who doesn't agree? Its getting old.
2021 Ram 2500 Crew, 6.4, 4x4
2022 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 287BH
B and W patriot 18k slider.

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

Because the majority of diesel owners lie and the majority of cummins owners lie more than any of them.

BTW, I have a stack of unused filters for the V10 that I bought years ago. So, an oil change costs me about $30 per year.

On the other hand, the oil, oil filter and fuel filters for the Ram was expensive in comparison. It didn't matter to me though because I knew in advance.

Someday, I'll replace the plugs on the V10 again. But based on the miles I drive it, it won't need plugs until 2030, at the soonest. In comparison, I bet the Ram will have a few new owners, a bunch of recalls, a new AC system, etc. Furthermore, everyone of them will brag about towing 20,000 lbs up 15% grades at 80 mph, while getting 25 mpg. Then, they'll brag about selling it for more than they paid for it. LOL.
The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.