Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 3/4 ton diesel vs. gas
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 3/4 ton diesel vs. gas

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There will be a lot of “unfair” or “untrue” comparisons put out here in this thread.
Short answer to your question, no, not even a new 8 or 10 speed gasser with 400+ hp will pull like your LML Duramax. But they will do a great job towing. Folks make too much of this and like to be dramatic. I own or drive a lot of different models of trucks and tow with them and ain’t a hill in WA that a new HD gasser will struggle to get over with your camper.
That said, what are the issues with your Dmax? This is a horrible time to try and buy a new truck and depending what’s up with your Dmax, keeping it could very likely be the best decision.
Emissions? If you got it fixed then roll on. If it’s still an issue, no emissions testing here, I’d delete that sucker yesterday and let er rip!
Something else? How many miles? How has the truck been maintained? What would it cost you to move up to a new truck? All factor in.
If you want to discuss the issues with the Dmax and your current thoughts there, maybe some advice could be beneficial to you with your current truck, if you’re not well read on them.
Cheers!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Math. A $1,000 repair each year is like making 2 new truck payments. My truck is 21 years old. I just paid $150 in minor repairs (old cracked hoses). Where would I be able to buy another truck for $150?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 10:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jamesu, if it’s a long bed crew cab, low miles, well kept, I might be interested in it if you’re dumping it for a new truck.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

Math. A $1,000 repair each year is like making 2 new truck payments. My truck is 21 years old. I just paid $150 in minor repairs (old cracked hoses). Where would I be able to buy another truck for $150?

Math. $1000 doesn’t go far if you’re not doing your own work.
Math, if the OP is having emissions issues (likely his frustration), $1000 is just a start.
Math, sitting on the side of the road in BFE is $1000 just to get somewhere to start spending more $1000s to fix it, depending on the problems.

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/21 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"You know that hill you go up now at 2000 RPM in your diesel? It will be at 5500 RPM in the gasser."

Too sensational! Properly sized gas engine pulling an appropriate weight at a safe speed will be fine.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 03:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

You know that hill you go up now at 2000 RPM in your diesel? It will be at 5500 RPM in the gasser.

LOL. And if it's a diesel, for every mile you drive, the tooth fairy will put $10 in your bank account.

The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui (La fiat wee-wee), I understand why.
The only thing more incompetent than Ram is Bye-don and his supporters.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/21 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jamesu wrote:

Because of quite expensive repairs on my diesel (see signature) it has got me thinking. I am half way contemplating trading for a 3/4 ton gasser. My diesel tows very well, so I am wondering: would a 3/4 gasser’s towing performance be comparable to my Duramax, or would it be more like a “beefed up” version of the 1/2 ton gasser I used to tow with years ago? On trips I am towing 8500-9000 lbs.

APT wrote:

Comparable, no, but more than good enough as long as you accept a little higher engine speeds.

The first reply hit the nail on the head, the right gas engine will do the job, just not at the same comfort level as the diesel.
I think the cut off for a gas TV is really around 12,000# beyond that you suffer from poor mileage, and slower speeds.
I moved from a 2001 Ram CTD, 5 speed and 3.55’s, I now tow with the 2016 in my signature. I can honestly say that I hardly notice our near 13,000# 5er when towing.
As to cost of maintenance yes newer diesels do cost a bit more, $110 for fuel filters every 15k, but I can also go 15k on an oil change, is that two or three times for gas?
I changed the 2001 every 10k miles, I had to replace the tappet cover gasket at 300,000 miles and the gallery was clean!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/21 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

I'd say it's up around 12-15k where you can start to justify needing it.

Heavy duty gas trucks are turds, that's really all I need to conclude to justify a diesel. They're just better from a performance standpoint.

What must one conclude to justify needing $20-30k in comfort and appearance upgrades over a base model?

Describe in detail YOUR experience towing with a modern (2015+) gas-powered 2500 or larger truck. Be specific.

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ">
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

DougE

New Braunfels, Texas USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/21 03:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, a diesel is a superior tow vehicle but more complex and expensive to repair. If you travel extensively and especially if you do a fair amount of mountain towing the diesel is for you. If you just make a couple of trips a year and aren't battling your way through mountainous terrain that often then a gasoline engine is just fine.

Currently Between RVs

mudfuel07

North Florida!

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/21 05:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just went through this decision. I was looking at a 2020 6.4 and a 2020 Cummins. The gas had more bells and whistles than the diesel and rode really nice. Price was a little cheaper too, both are used vehicles. Did a lot of research about pulling our 10k trailer with something (four wheeler or golfcart) always in the bed. The diesel just made more sense. I've pulled with a Ford V10 and their 6.2. The V10 was a great engine, just thirsty. 6.2 even with 4.30's in it is way underpowered. The Cummins powered truck does have fewer bells and whistles, but runs good and pulls like a dream.

2020 Ram 3500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Big Horn
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 3/4 ton diesel vs. gas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.