Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 3/4 ton diesel vs. gas
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 3/4 ton diesel vs. gas

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2020

View Profile



Posted: 04/28/21 05:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

You know that hill you go up now at 2000 RPM in your diesel? It will be at 5500 RPM in the gasser. If you like to hear a screaming motor, get the gasser. If you like the easy rolling diesel, pay for the repairs and drive it for another 10 years.
A friend of mine just pulled his 35 foot trailer with a diesel for the first time last week. His first comment when he arrived at the campground was, it didn't even work coming up the hill. This is a man that has always modded his exhaust to get the loud V-8 sound. He said "No more screaming motor and stopping for fuel every 150 miles."


What the F? That so called "screaming" motor is working at its designed parameters. Only the uninformed would refer to a working symphony of parts working as designed as screaming.


I'm sure by "screaming" he means the deafening noise, not that the engine isn't doing what it's supposed to. Call me 'uninformed' if you like, but noise is noise -- and it's not a pleasant sound.


. . . never confuse education with intelligence

Groover

Pulaski, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 10/17/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/28/21 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

pitch wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

You know that hill you go up now at 2000 RPM in your diesel? It will be at 5500 RPM in the gasser. If you like to hear a screaming motor, get the gasser. If you like the easy rolling diesel, pay for the repairs and drive it for another 10 years.
A friend of mine just pulled his 35 foot trailer with a diesel for the first time last week. His first comment when he arrived at the campground was, it didn't even work coming up the hill. This is a man that has always modded his exhaust to get the loud V-8 sound. He said "No more screaming motor and stopping for fuel every 150 miles."


What the F? That so called "screaming" motor is working at its designed parameters. Only the uninformed would refer to a working symphony of parts working as designed as screaming.


I'm sure by "screaming" he means the deafening noise, not that the engine isn't doing what it's supposed to. Call me 'uninformed' if you like, but noise is noise -- and it's not a pleasant sound.


I haven't driven a 7.3 but every time that I have updated vehicles I have noticed a significant drop in engine noise, especially at higher speed. The assumption about load noise from a high revving engine probably isn't more true than the assumption that diesels clatter and wake up the whole campground when you come in late at night.

My experience has been that a gas burner burns about 20% more fuel than diesel. Some of the new trucks come with a 48 gallon fuel tank which should be plenty for anyone's bladder to fill up before the tank gives out. Even with my old 460 loaded to the hilt I could go over 300 miles between fuel stops with the two 18 gallon tanks which was always adequate.

My main concern for the op is that the truck in his sig is a Chevy and if he stays with Chevy he will probably have to use premium gas and that would be a huge roadblock for me.

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

Senior Member

Joined: 07/06/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/28/21 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you're lucky enough to have a truck you only use for towing, buy the truck you need ten months out of the year.

Diesels pulls great, but you'll wind up paying more for fuel and DEF year round.

And... if your commute is short, diesels are not very good daily drivers. You'll never fully heat up and never get rid of the condensation that can build up in the turbo and elsewhere.



  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit



ShinerBock

LVTX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 04/28/21 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Re-evaluated my old Excel chart I did years back to compare costs with my current mileage of 140k

Seems I would still come out ahead with the diesel (even if I didn't tow) with current resale values versus the 6.4L, but slightly over the 5.7L. Exact same spread as when I did it years ago with the 5.7L being the cheapest, the Cummins coming in within $500 more, and the 6.4L coming in last as the most expensive option especially if you use the recommended 89 octane. Everyone's situation may differ depending on costs and values in your area.

I would still think a diesel would be worth it even if my truck cost $2k more than the gaser version due to the added performance and ease of towing. That is not a lot of money to pay for the added value over the course of six years. I paid more than that for my Ecoboost engine in my F150 versus the base engine.

[image]

* This post was last edited 04/28/21 08:57am by ShinerBock *   View edit history

Jarlaxle

New England

Senior Member

Joined: 11/18/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/28/21 08:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't forget to add the various ways any 2008+ diesel can dump enormous bills in your lap with no warning. Say, an exhaust filter (sell your first-born), an injection pump ($1500+), new injectors ($2000+), perhaps a turbocharger ($4000+ even if it doesn't blow up anything else).


John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 2 nutty cats...RIP, Maya ">
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

jamesu

Camano Island, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 03/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/28/21 09:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am the “OP”. When I posted this in the wee hours yesterday AM I figured a few of you guys would respond. I am overwhelmed by 4 pages worth in just one day.

My 3/4 ton Duramax is in the shop awaiting parts for a very costly emissions-exhaust system repair. Fortunately it is covered by a Chevy recall notice that I didn’t know existed until the service dept told me. Praise God!

My situation got me thinking, and that’s why I reached out to you guys. Thanks for all the measured, knowledgeable responses.

We tow through the Cascades a lot, and I want/need the performance my diesel provides, not what my old half ton gasser provided for all those trips back in the day. That’s why I tested you all with what you think about a 3/4 ton gasser vs. 3/4 ton diesel...I definitely get it.

I’m retired, and I am not wealthy. The cost of my current Duramax repair spooks me no end...regardless if it’s paid for by a recall or paid for by me. Thank you all for your feedback.


2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/28/21 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DougE wrote:

Yes, a diesel is a superior tow vehicle but more complex and expensive to repair. If you travel extensively and especially if you do a fair amount of mountain towing the diesel is for you. If you just make a couple of trips a year and aren't battling your way through mountainous terrain that often then a gasoline engine is just fine.


Post of the week!
Very succinct and correct!


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/28/21 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jamesu wrote:

I am the “OP”. When I posted this in the wee hours yesterday AM I figured a few of you guys would respond. I am overwhelmed by 4 pages worth in just one day.

My 3/4 ton Duramax is in the shop awaiting parts for a very costly emissions-exhaust system repair. Fortunately it is covered by a Chevy recall notice that I didn’t know existed until the service dept told me. Praise God!

My situation got me thinking, and that’s why I reached out to you guys. Thanks for all the measured, knowledgeable responses.

We tow through the Cascades a lot, and I want/need the performance my diesel provides, not what my old half ton gasser provided for all those trips back in the day. That’s why I tested you all with what you think about a 3/4 ton gasser vs. 3/4 ton diesel...I definitely get it.

I’m retired, and I am not wealthy. The cost of my current Duramax repair spooks me no end...regardless if it’s paid for by a recall or paid for by me. Thank you all for your feedback.


Totally understandable.
Again, if you plan on keeping the truck “forever”, this may be an issue again. Sounds like you got it licked this time for free, which is great!
Consider getting a delete tuner now while you still can. If you use it later, it was money well spent. If you don’t, it is also probably a good investment as they will get more expensive as the availability becomes even more difficult than it is now.

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

Senior Member

Joined: 04/12/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/28/21 02:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve owned six diesels. Bored family and friends to tears with how wonderful they were. Got tired of the sound of the diesel groaning up the hills because they can’t rev. A Cummins howling at 2900 rpm up hill gives a new meaning to a screaming engine. Between that and the potential for horrendous repair costs, I went back to gas. My new 2020 7.3 powered F-250 makes very easy work of towing our trailer. Very quiet and vibration free. Not even a hint of a desire for another diesel.


2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/28/21 04:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hannibal wrote:

I’ve owned six diesels. Bored family and friends to tears with how wonderful they were. Got tired of the sound of the diesel groaning up the hills because they can’t rev. A Cummins howling at 2900 rpm up hill gives a new meaning to a screaming engine. Between that and the potential for horrendous repair costs, I went back to gas. My new 2020 7.3 powered F-250 makes very easy work of towing our trailer. Very quiet and vibration free. Not even a hint of a desire for another diesel.

I don't dispute your thoughts but if 2003 is the last time you owned/experienced a diesel, a lot has changed since then.
On the other hand, I think some of us diesel guys have outdated thoughts/memories of how a gasser performs when towing.


19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide


This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 3/4 ton diesel vs. gas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.