cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dually tire replacement upcharge

scootsk
Explorer III
Explorer III
So today I brought my Ram dually in for rear tires. The shop wanted to upcharge me $20.00 per tire because they said changing rear dually tires requires more work. When I told him to cancel my order the fee was waived. When asked what the extra work was he said Duallyโ€™s have double lug nuts. My reaction was Um, no. I said that doing the four rear tires was easier than four tires on a 3/4 ton. 32 lugs to remove for tire from a 3/4 ton. 16 for the rear on a 1 ton dually.

What are your thoughts?
Don, Kathleen
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.7 CTD/AISIN
2019 Montana 3791 Fifth Wheel
35 REPLIES 35

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ron3rd wrote:
Another vote for America's Tire/Discount Tire. Price is never an issue because they will match any online price if you find a tire cheaper. At least the ones in my area will. I also like the fact they don't do brakes, shocks, alignments, etc so there's never pressure to sell anything other than tires.

I used to buy my tires at Costco. Now only Discount Tire. If you notice there is usually a Discount/Americas tire near most Costco's.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for America's Tire/Discount Tire. Price is never an issue because they will match any online price if you find a tire cheaper. At least the ones in my area will. I also like the fact they don't do brakes, shocks, alignments, etc so there's never pressure to sell anything other than tires.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
bobsallyh wrote:
Cummins12v98, that is exactly my thoughts. That is what get's Big O Tire here in Yuma, AZ in trouble. A person buys tires at Big O and then gets a whole laundry list of suspension parts that need replaced. Unfortunately they seem to prey on folks that have no idea of vehicles and they get taken to the proverbially cleaners.

Les Schwab has the same Vulture Business additude in the West. Truly pathetic!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12v98, that is exactly my thoughts. That is what get's Big O Tire here in Yuma, AZ in trouble. A person buys tires at Big O and then gets a whole laundry list of suspension parts that need replaced. Unfortunately they seem to prey on folks that have no idea of vehicles and they get taken to the proverbially cleaners.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I've never had a bad experience at Discount Tire. I just wish that they did front end alignments."

Let Frame & Axle guys do alignments and tire guys do tires!

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
scootsk wrote:
bucky wrote:
Related to throwing heavy tires around..........
We hired a young man to do oil changes and tire rotations. He was a slight young man and HIS friend that recommended him told him that he'd never be able to lift the heavy truck tires. He suggested that he should let the 70 lbs of air out of each tire before he moved them so that he didn't hurt himself, and then refill them with "new" air.
The young man did as what was suggested for several vehicles before one of the guys took pity on him and filled him in on the prank.

I've never had a bad experience at Discount Tire. I just wish that they did front end alignments. I'm retired so Sunday openings aren't necessary.

Love this kinda stuff!! So many funny stories out there just like this. It sucks being the new guy. Have to have a thick skin.

Not many young people have a thick skin anymore though.

No, no, no! You're supposed to grouse about how stupid young people are, and how they don't come out of the womb knowing how to do everything like you did!

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

scootsk
Explorer III
Explorer III
bucky wrote:
We hired a young man to do oil changes and tire rotations. He was a slight young man and HIS friend that recommended him told him that he'd never be able to lift the heavy truck tires. He suggested that he should let the 70 lbs of air out of each tire before he moved them so that he didn't hurt himself, and then refill them with "new" air.
The young man did as what was suggested for several vehicles before one of the guys took pity on him and filled him in on the prank.

I've never had a bad experience at Discount Tire. I just wish that they did front end alignments. I'm retired so Sunday openings aren't necessary.

Love this kinda stuff!! So many funny stories out there just like this. It sucks being the new guy. Have to have a thick skin.

Not many young people have a thick skin anymore though.
Don, Kathleen
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.7 CTD/AISIN
2019 Montana 3791 Fifth Wheel

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II

Puma 30RKSS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
You try throwing around dually wheels and see if you don't think its worth spending a few more $$$$! People Spend $60-$90k on a truck and then get cheap when it comes to maintenance!

$20 per tire is excessive, but a dually should and does cost more to do a rotate. if shops aren't charging a bit more then they aren't a very good shop as it shows they don't pay attention.

HMMMMM, I am betting my 17" DRW steel or Aluminum tire/wheel combo does not weigh much more than current 350/3500 trucks with 18-20".

It weighs less.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Scams Club and Costco can kiss my ____. The day I canโ€™t buy the tire I want because itโ€™s โ€œnot the stock sizeโ€, they wonโ€™t see me anymore.
Schwabs, Firestone and Badyear can also s uck it. Pretty much just upselling and ripping people off. Firestone been that way forever, Schwabs just in recent years.
Discount did good recently on the wifeโ€™s rig. And actually had the best price, including online buying and didnโ€™t upselling her.
Big O was always good to me. Did me a solid with some GY Marathins that werenโ€™t even their tires. But havenโ€™t been there in a while.
Recently, Best Tire Centers around here have done great.
Theyโ€™re not upselling dooshes. They donโ€™t want extraordinary prices to do tire work.
They donโ€™t send you packing because you are putting big tires on something. They didnโ€™t rip off my son who is pretty gullible. And they beat the he!! Out of Scheabbys price on my last set of work truck tires. Place in Covington is what a tire shop SHOULD be!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
bobsallyh wrote:
Sam's Club upcharges to mount dually tires. Just why they don't do mine. Have bought 3 sets of tires for our dually from Discount tire. They would rather sell six tires, mount and balance all six, one vehicle in and out of shop for no upcharge. And by the way, that includes free rotation!

I REALLY like Discount Tire.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sam's Club upcharges to mount dually tires. Just why they don't do mine. Have bought 3 sets of tires for our dually from Discount tire. They would rather sell six tires, mount and balance all six, one vehicle in and out of shop for no upcharge. And by the way, that includes free rotation!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
You try throwing around dually wheels and see if you don't think its worth spending a few more $$$$! People Spend $60-$90k on a truck and then get cheap when it comes to maintenance!

$20 per tire is excessive, but a dually should and does cost more to do a rotate. if shops aren't charging a bit more then they aren't a very good shop as it shows they don't pay attention.

HMMMMM, I am betting my 17" DRW steel or Aluminum tire/wheel combo does not weigh much more than current 350/3500 trucks with 18-20".

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:

I could stand under the extra charge for rotation; Easy to see where would need to break tires down to keep pretty sides of the wheels outside. But I read the OP as buying new tires. That would mean dismount/mount for each tire bought.
Now, are the offset wheels all that much heavier than the same capacity wheels that don't have the offset? All new tires on a single wheel, the tire monkey must protect the appearance and function of all wheels. With duals, a third of the wheels, only protect function