Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Dually tire replacement upcharge
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Dually tire replacement upcharge

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/21 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

I was charged an upcharge for a tire rotation because my truck is a dually. They had to dismount and remount two tires to keep the white sidewall lettering to the inside. Seemed reasonable to me.

That is legit.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/21 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You try throwing around dually wheels and see if you don't think its worth spending a few more $$$$! People Spend $60-$90k on a truck and then get cheap when it comes to maintenance!

$20 per tire is excessive, but a dually should and does cost more to do a rotate. if shops aren't charging a bit more then they aren't a very good shop as it shows they don't pay attention.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/21 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

You try throwing around dually wheels and see if you don't think its worth spending a few more $$$$! People Spend $60-$90k on a truck and then get cheap when it comes to maintenance!

$20 per tire is excessive, but a dually should and does cost more to do a rotate. if shops aren't charging a bit more then they aren't a very good shop as it shows they don't pay attention.

I could stand under the extra charge for rotation; Easy to see where would need to break tires down to keep pretty sides of the wheels outside. But I read the OP as buying new tires. That would mean dismount/mount for each tire bought.
Now, are the offset wheels all that much heavier than the same capacity wheels that don't have the offset? All new tires on a single wheel, the tire monkey must protect the appearance and function of all wheels. With duals, a third of the wheels, only protect function

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/21 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

HMMMMM, I am betting my 17" DRW steel or Aluminum tire/wheel combo does not weigh much more than current 350/3500 trucks with 18-20".

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/21 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sam's Club upcharges to mount dually tires. Just why they don't do mine. Have bought 3 sets of tires for our dually from Discount tire. They would rather sell six tires, mount and balance all six, one vehicle in and out of shop for no upcharge. And by the way, that includes free rotation!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/21 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobsallyh wrote:

Sam's Club upcharges to mount dually tires. Just why they don't do mine. Have bought 3 sets of tires for our dually from Discount tire. They would rather sell six tires, mount and balance all six, one vehicle in and out of shop for no upcharge. And by the way, that includes free rotation!

I REALLY like Discount Tire.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/21 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scams Club and Costco can kiss my ____. The day I can’t buy the tire I want because it’s “not the stock size”, they won’t see me anymore.
Schwabs, Firestone and Badyear can also s uck it. Pretty much just upselling and ripping people off. Firestone been that way forever, Schwabs just in recent years.
Discount did good recently on the wife’s rig. And actually had the best price, including online buying and didn’t upselling her.
Big O was always good to me. Did me a solid with some GY Marathins that weren’t even their tires. But haven’t been there in a while.
Recently, Best Tire Centers around here have done great.
They’re not upselling dooshes. They don’t want extraordinary prices to do tire work.
They don’t send you packing because you are putting big tires on something. They didn’t rip off my son who is pretty gullible. And they beat the he!! Out of Scheabbys price on my last set of work truck tires. Place in Covington is what a tire shop SHOULD be!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/21 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

HMMMMM, I am betting my 17" DRW steel or Aluminum tire/wheel combo does not weigh much more than current 350/3500 trucks with 18-20".

It weighs less.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/21 03:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Related to throwing heavy tires around..........
We hired a young man to do oil changes and tire rotations. He was a slight young man and HIS friend that recommended him told him that he'd never be able to lift the heavy truck tires. He suggested that he should let the 70 lbs of air out of each tire before he moved them so that he didn't hurt himself, and then refill them with "new" air.
The young man did as what was suggested for several vehicles before one of the guys took pity on him and filled him in on the prank.

I've never had a bad experience at Discount Tire. I just wish that they did front end alignments. I'm retired so Sunday openings aren't necessary.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

scootsk

Long Island, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/21 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

Related to throwing heavy tires around..........
We hired a young man to do oil changes and tire rotations. He was a slight young man and HIS friend that recommended him told him that he'd never be able to lift the heavy truck tires. He suggested that he should let the 70 lbs of air out of each tire before he moved them so that he didn't hurt himself, and then refill them with "new" air.
The young man did as what was suggested for several vehicles before one of the guys took pity on him and filled him in on the prank.

I've never had a bad experience at Discount Tire. I just wish that they did front end alignments. I'm retired so Sunday openings aren't necessary.

Love this kinda stuff!! So many funny stories out there just like this. It sucks being the new guy. Have to have a thick skin.

Not many young people have a thick skin anymore though.

Don, Kathleen
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.7 CTD/AISIN
2019 Montana 3791 Fifth Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Dually tire replacement upcharge
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.