Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: advisability to turn off battery periodically
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> advisability to turn off battery periodically

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timeking wrote:

After 4 days, the WFCO was still hitting the BRAND NEW battery with 13.68 volts and there was evidence of gassing.

thats the key sentence. WFCO is junk, the first thing I do is replace it witha proper 3 or 4 stage charger. then check electralites 4 times a year and you'll never have a problem.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/21 03:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same issue with my WFCO. I never saw float or bulk, just a constant 13.6V. It would sit plugged in for weeks with nothing but the fridge on AC and the CO detector powered and still wouldn't drop to 13.2V.

I built a low side switch using an AVR controller and a 90A MOSFET to connect the battery for 1 hour every 5 days. The MOSFET reverse diode allows the battery to be used if the converter loses power. It has a button to charge for 4 hours and reset the 5 day timer if needed. I remove the switch while traveling.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/21 03:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WFCO is low grade Chinese junk like everything else used by the RV industry. They love them because they're cheap. They are known to go into bulk charge mode and stay there while batteries boil away. They are also known to sometimes never go into bulk charge mode even if the battery is dead, or not ever go into float. The luck of the draw. You get what you don't pay for.

The best move without spending an arm and a leg is to pull the 12VDC guts out and replace with either a boondocker or other brand plug and play replacement. Bestconverter.com is a good source of info and products.

Timeking

Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/21 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all. Will replace.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/21 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Gjac,

The positive plate sheds. There is pretty much nada you can do about it. Cold helps slow the process down, and heat speeds it up.
Yes of course, that was my question, plates don't shed when not hooked up to a charger. When hooked up to a charger how much is being shed? I have not seen a discussion on here about that. Will .001 shed at 13.6 v in 24 hrs or .005 ? I imagine higher voltages like 14 v shed more. That is why I have concluded that a battery will last longer if left of the charger and only charged when the battery reaches 80% SOC or so.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/21 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac,

The positive plate degrades even when NOT being charged.

You are correct that over charging is an issue.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/21 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WFCO's cost to OEM is 45% that if you try and buy a new one.
The company hasn't a clue how to heatsink FETs and rectifiers. Who else would use a plain block of quarter inch thick aluminum as a heat sink? Or place inferior low temperature capacitors adjacent to intense heat radiating ceramic resistors? Another laugh is the placement of a "cooling" fan all the way across the device where zero air reaches the family jewels?
This is the YUGO of converters. Or Renault Dauphine. I won't even get into the control circuitry. It is too nauseating.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> advisability to turn off battery periodically
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.