Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Forced out of your reservation
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Forced out of your reservation

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

The sad part is that these so called YouTubers are making money off of their babbling. Very few have content worth watching.

If there is an audience then there is nothing wrong with making money off YouTube. If you want to compare what is on TV and what they get paid, YouTubers deserve everything they make for the time and effort it takes to make and edit videos. Some small channels put a lot of time in and make little for their effort while other larger channels do well. I find YouTube more entertaining than the junk on Tv.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So... if you were with a group of RV'rs and wanted to make a group reservation at a campground with you all together, would it bother you if other campers had their reservations moved or canceled / refunded?

Everyone is dumping on the campground owner, but what about the RV group? I think the reservation fiasco was only in the space of a few weeks - the RV group didn't reserve a bunch of spots months in advance. What campground will have a group of spots all next to each available on short notice? You pretty much know they will be moving / cancelling another camper with short notice.

There is more information under that video, including that the campground owner contacted the YouTuber and wanted to do something for the camper. I assume the campground owner still didn't know the guy is a YouTuber, as he mentions several times that he didn't tell anyone.

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

We have new owners at one of our favorite parks here in PA. After you reserve your site for $67 a night they offer to "lock in your site" for another $10. Total BS.

I am noticing this trend as well. Ironically, I have not come across it in PA yet, but a few southern vacations we have taken allow you to book a site and the warning tells you if you dont pay the $10-20 to "lock in" the site they reserve the right to move you to another site within the same site type. The more "resorty" type RV parks seem to be grabbing this as a new way to create income over and above their hotel rates for a camp site.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kfp673 wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

We have new owners at one of our favorite parks here in PA. After you reserve your site for $67 a night they offer to "lock in your site" for another $10. Total BS.

I am noticing this trend as well. Ironically, I have not come across it in PA yet, but a few southern vacations we have taken allow you to book a site and the warning tells you if you dont pay the $10-20 to "lock in" the site they reserve the right to move you to another site within the same site type. The more "resorty" type RV parks seem to be grabbing this as a new way to create income over and above their hotel rates for a camp site.

Castaways in OC. MD has a lock in fee option.
While I due like certain sites I refuse to pay a lock in fee.
If the CG gives me a like spot I'm OK.
For the most part I've come to realize the site does not determine the camping experience. Sure a perfect 10 site is great. But I can have a good time with a lesser site just the same. I don't mind paying a premium for a nice CG or site. But I refused to pay a fee to lock in the premium site I already paid for!

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/21 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kfp673 wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

I occasionally have run into the "lock in your site deal", but that has always been for a particular site, not just a spot.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/21 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AllegroD wrote:

I do not understand his reaction. Maybe something is missing. If someone treated us that way, I would be getting in touch with the owner or manager. If the owner/manager could not satisfy us, I would be posting the name of the CG and maybe contacting the state AG. Slighting one person, who has a reservation, in favor of another person, whether in a group or not, is wrong. We all know that. It might even be illegal in some states. Once you make a deal with someone, you keep it. There obligatory laws about this. On top of that, you do not treat people this way.

It's easy to understand his reaction. He has bigger fish to fry. Stamping one's feet and screaming does nothing. A warning on RV Park Reviews or elsewhere is in order as a "head's up" but contacting the AG is a bit over the top. Bad business practice, definitely, but criminal behavior probably not.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AllegroD wrote:

I do not understand his reaction. Maybe something is missing. If someone treated us that way, I would be getting in touch with the owner or manager. If the owner/manager could not satisfy us, I would be posting the name of the CG and maybe contacting the state AG. Slighting one person, who has a reservation, in favor of another person, whether in a group or not, is wrong. We all know that. It might even be illegal in some states. Once you make a deal with someone, you keep it. There obligatory laws about this. On top of that, you do not treat people this way.

In times past, make a deal keep it was though to be the only accepted practice. It was thought that a man's word was good, or he would be shunned. But now, for about half the population even a oath to do something has no meaning.

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/21 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is often much more to a story than first appears. The park could have had several sites suddenly go out of service for any number of reasons. There could have been a flood, a collapse of a sewer line, a power failure etc. There could be a guest with a rig that had a mechanical failure and cannot leave as scheduled. Stuff happens.
Then there could have been a guest that flat refused to move. If the was the case, the options aren't exactly as clear cut as some people claim. Contrary to popular opinion, and perhaps common sense, the park cannot legally just call a tow truck and have them hauled out. A savvy squatter will know the law and the loopholes. They can claim a medical issue and the park (or hotel, where this is more common) cannot legally have them removed. As I have posted before, con men, grifters and thieves know the laws that apply to their activities better than lawyers. They know their way around loopholes and unlike decent humans they aren't afraid to exploit those loopholes for their advantage. It happens more than you know.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/21 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AllegroD wrote:

If you read the comments under the video, he did contact the owner after the fact and was offered a free week's stay. The owner also acknowledged that the fairly new employee had handled the situation incorrectly. I'm not sure what more the park owner could have done at that point.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/21 05:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well allrighty then!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Forced out of your reservation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.