cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring fresh water when dry camping

DRSmart
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve been transferring fresh water into our fresh tank while dry camping from 6 gallon water jugs using the onboard pump but it takes about 5 minutes for each jug. I set the Nautilus valves for filling the fresh tank with the internal pump. I’ve also tried using an external pony pump setting the Nautilus for city water. The pony pump providing the pressure. I’d like to use an external pump to speed things up and wondered what others are using. The on board pump is the SHURFLO 4008-101-A65 3.0 GPM Revolution RV Water Pump. There seems to be quite a resistance to my pony pump that I’ve tried and wondered if something like a 5.5gpm 60psi RV pump used externally would be a good way to go.
2014Dodge 3500, 2WD, 6.7 Cummins
Crew cab SB Aisin trans, Firestone Air Bags
Line-X, Pullrite 16K Superglide
2020 Jayco North Point 315RLTS
25 REPLIES 25

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
I would fill up the bladder when I was dumping the tanks and taking on fresh water. Some of the locations that I boondocked in it would be hours from civilization or a water source after 3 years of use of the Aquatank2 30 gallon bladder carrying (2,130+ gallons)/ transferring (71+ times) the seam on one side is starting to show a very slow seep, if I was just going from filling location to 5th wheel immediately to transfer it wouldn't be that big of a lose maybe a gallon or so but in some locations we boondock I'll fill it/ carry till it's needed or will fit in the holding tank (7-10 days).
I liked the Aquatank2 bladder so ordered another but 60 gallons this time mainly because the difference in price was only $10 and the foot print was only 12" longer. Giving an option to carry up 60 gallons instead of the 30.

Any of the big box stores (home depot kind) will have ends for hose that can be used, so yes for a garden hose.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Itinerant1 wrote:
I use a bladder. This one can hold up to 60 gallons and when not in use folds up and takes little room.

Very interested in this setup. Curious, how is that brand bladder holding up? Do you fill at home before you leave? That is what I will have to do so I am looking for one that can carry 50-60 gallons and survive a 3 hour truck ride on a fairly regular basis. Also, we don't have gravity fill. Outs is garden hose park hookup but with a valve to fill our on board tank. Will this bladder and the pump you show work with standard garden hose fittings? Thanks!

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 12volt pump from Northern Tools.It has aligator clips that clip right onto the battery.I have a 5 gallon container that I pump out of into my onboard tank. But you can pump out of anything.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, for those of us who have not been using them for years but are finally getting the message, "bladder late than never." 😉
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Gottahaveit
Itinerant1 wrote:
I use a bladder. This one can hold up to 60 gallons and when not in use folds up and takes little room.

Exactly what we have used for years 🙂
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
I have 3 7gal blue jugs with one of the caps rigged with a valve and hose. I back the truck up to the filler on the trailer and stack one jug on the edge of the bed side, insert the hose and open the valve, no muss no fuss or, stack two jugs on the tailgate to get the required height to drain the jug.
The older we get, the faster we go

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnichols wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:
A topic near and dear to my heart....more water. With my 24ft C, I am almost stymied. I carry 30 gallons on-b0ard. A bladder would be great...no room. I even considered putting one on my roof. I have just acquired two 5 gallon jugs that will fit in the tub and fold up to nothing once emptied. For now, I lift and funnel, but I have ordered a cheap plastic drill driven impeller set-up....like an in-line pump. We'll see.

Gary Haupt

Hi Gary!

Have you ever crawled underneath and looked up between the driveshaft and the two frame members that run the length of the chassis on each side of the driveshaft? Maybe a large capacity long and narrow custom fresh water tank could be installed in some space there on the side of the driveshaft opposite the side with the long tail pipe.

Of course the tank would be exposed - so to use it in freezing temperatures would not work - and perhaps a piece of steel sheeting should be installed on the bottom side of the tank to prevent any damage from road rocks.

I read some time ago of a Class C owner who installed a 100 gallon or larger fresh water tank somewhere up underneath the coach like I describe. You also have to be sure the chassis has enough extra carrying capacity to handle the extra weight ... however all the water weight would be down low so it could actually result in a more stable and solid feeling when going down the road (as opposed to adding weight up high which makes for an undersirable higher center of gravity).
I have a friend with a C with only 30 gals of FW, another friend that had many boats over the years had a 7 ft long FW tank from one of his boats in his garage, he installed it in a pass thru storage bay east to west to increase his FW to 60 gals. If you could do as Phil says and install the tank forward of the rear wheels it could help to redistribute some weight from the rear to the front wheels which seem to be light in these shorter C's. The boat tank my friend installed had baffles inside so that when you accelerate all the water does not shift quickly to the rear.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyhaupt wrote:
A topic near and dear to my heart....more water. With my 24ft C, I am almost stymied. I carry 30 gallons on-b0ard. A bladder would be great...no room. I even considered putting one on my roof. I have just acquired two 5 gallon jugs that will fit in the tub and fold up to nothing once emptied. For now, I lift and funnel, but I have ordered a cheap plastic drill driven impeller set-up....like an in-line pump. We'll see.

Gary Haupt

Hi Gary!

Have you ever crawled underneath and looked up between the driveshaft and the two frame members that run the length of the chassis on each side of the driveshaft? Maybe a large capacity long and narrow custom fresh water tank could be installed in some space there on the side of the driveshaft opposite the side with the long tail pipe.

Of course the tank would be exposed - so to use it in freezing temperatures would not work - and perhaps a piece of steel sheeting should be installed on the bottom side of the tank to prevent any damage from road rocks.

I read some time ago of a Class C owner who installed a 100 gallon or larger fresh water tank somewhere up underneath the coach like I describe. You also have to be sure the chassis has enough extra carrying capacity to handle the extra weight ... however all the water weight would be down low so it could actually result in a more stable and solid feeling when going down the road (as opposed to adding weight up high which makes for an undersirable higher center of gravity).
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Itinerant1 wrote:
I use a bladder.

My solution also.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

DRSmart
Explorer
Explorer
Itinerant1 wrote:
Here's a thread of the details I posted elsewhere. Before upgrading to the larger bladder. 20 minutes 60 gallons timed.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1480651-water-bladder-tansfer-setup.html#post17029807

Link after upgrading.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1440415-national-forest-trip-14.html?highlight=Seaflo#post1863432...

Thanks Itinerant1. That's what I'll do.

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a thread of the details I posted elsewhere. Before upgrading to the larger bladder. 20 minutes 60 gallons timed.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1480651-water-bladder-tansfer-setup.html#post17029807

Link after upgrading.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1440415-national-forest-trip-14.html?highlight=Seaflo#post1863432...
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

DRSmart
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Itinerant1. That's what I want to set up. I have a 45 gallon water bladder. Looks like a Seaflo pump. How long does it take to transfer the 60 gallons?

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer