Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Transferring fresh water when dry camping
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Transferring fresh water when dry camping

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
windinmyface2

california

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/21 11:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harbor Freight sells a battery(D cell) powered transfer pump for $10.00. it moved 35 gallons of water in under 5 minutes. I carry one for water, and one for fuel.

lets go!!

Crabbypatty

Long Island, New York

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 04:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our fifth wheel no longer has a gravity fill like the TTs had. Its a hose connection. The tank is small 44 gallons we doesnt make the week with the tow of us. We have 4 6 gallons green water jugs from our TT days. I have a electric transfer pump and found that the tank needs to be elevated for the suction to work. Once it grabs the water, 6 gallon tank is empty in about a minute. When the jugs finally die Ill replace the 44 with 75-100 gallon tank. Thats more than enough for our needs for a week which is how long we dry camp. After a week we need to empty the black tank......Such problems....

John, Lisa & Tara">">">
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a bladder. This one can hold up to 60 gallons and when not in use folds up and takes little room.
[image]

12v 500ah (5,120Wh usable), 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 1,600+ cycles.

DRSmart

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Itinerant1. That's what I want to set up. I have a 45 gallon water bladder. Looks like a Seaflo pump. How long does it take to transfer the 60 gallons?

2014Dodge 3500, 2WD, 6.7 Cummins
Crew cab SB Aisin trans, Firestone Air Bags
Line-X, Pullrite 16K Superglide
2020 Jayco North Point 315RLTS

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a thread of the details I posted elsewhere. Before upgrading to the larger bladder. 20 minutes 60 gallons timed.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/14806........-bladder-tansfer-setup.html#post17029807

Link after upgrading.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/14404........ip-14.html?highlight=Seaflo#post18634329

DRSmart

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Itinerant1 wrote:

Here's a thread of the details I posted elsewhere. Before upgrading to the larger bladder. 20 minutes 60 gallons timed.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/14806........-bladder-tansfer-setup.html#post17029807

Link after upgrading.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/14404........ip-14.html?highlight=Seaflo#post18634329

Thanks Itinerant1. That's what I'll do.

garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/21 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A topic near and dear to my heart....more water. With my 24ft C, I am almost stymied. I carry 30 gallons on-b0ard. A bladder would be great...no room. I even considered putting one on my roof. I have just acquired two 5 gallon jugs that will fit in the tub and fold up to nothing once emptied. For now, I lift and funnel, but I have ordered a cheap plastic drill driven impeller set-up....like an in-line pump. We'll see.

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Itinerant1 wrote:

I use a bladder.

My solution also.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/21 10:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyhaupt wrote:

A topic near and dear to my heart....more water. With my 24ft C, I am almost stymied. I carry 30 gallons on-b0ard. A bladder would be great...no room. I even considered putting one on my roof. I have just acquired two 5 gallon jugs that will fit in the tub and fold up to nothing once emptied. For now, I lift and funnel, but I have ordered a cheap plastic drill driven impeller set-up....like an in-line pump. We'll see.

Gary Haupt

Hi Gary!

Have you ever crawled underneath and looked up between the driveshaft and the two frame members that run the length of the chassis on each side of the driveshaft? Maybe a large capacity long and narrow custom fresh water tank could be installed in some space there on the side of the driveshaft opposite the side with the long tail pipe.

Of course the tank would be exposed - so to use it in freezing temperatures would not work - and perhaps a piece of steel sheeting should be installed on the bottom side of the tank to prevent any damage from road rocks.

I read some time ago of a Class C owner who installed a 100 gallon or larger fresh water tank somewhere up underneath the coach like I describe. You also have to be sure the chassis has enough extra carrying capacity to handle the extra weight ... however all the water weight would be down low so it could actually result in a more stable and solid feeling when going down the road (as opposed to adding weight up high which makes for an undersirable higher center of gravity).

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/21 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

garyhaupt wrote:

Gary Haupt

Hi Gary!

Have you ever crawled underneath and looked up between the driveshaft and the two frame members that run the length of the chassis on each side of the driveshaft? Maybe a large capacity long and narrow custom fresh water tank could be installed in some space there on the side of the driveshaft opposite the side with the long tail pipe.

Of course the tank would be exposed - so to use it in freezing temperatures would not work - and perhaps a piece of steel sheeting should be installed on the bottom side of the tank to prevent any damage from road rocks.

I read some time ago of a Class C owner who installed a 100 gallon or larger fresh water tank somewhere up underneath the coach like I describe. You also have to be sure the chassis has enough extra carrying capacity to handle the extra weight ... however all the water weight would be down low so it could actually result in a more stable and solid feeling when going down the road (as opposed to adding weight up high which makes for an undersirable higher center of gravity).
I have a friend with a C with only 30 gals of FW, another friend that had many boats over the years had a 7 ft long FW tank from one of his boats in his garage, he installed it in a pass thru storage bay east to west to increase his FW to 60 gals. If you could do as Phil says and install the tank forward of the rear wheels it could help to redistribute some weight from the rear to the front wheels which seem to be light in these shorter C's. The boat tank my friend installed had baffles inside so that when you accelerate all the water does not shift quickly to the rear.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Transferring fresh water when dry camping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.