cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ontario, OR across the State to Newport, OR

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Driving in July. Is Hwy 20 easy enough to drive in motorhome with tow car? Are there very curvy or uncomfortable sections? How about between Sisters and I-5? I am already familiar with Hwy 20 from I-5 to Newport, driven both before and after improvement.

Any better route? No rush to get to Newport, but don't want to go too far away from Hwy 20...will be stopping along the way, no particular plans. Thought about staying in the Bend/Sisters area for several days.

I'll be making reservations after I decide which route to drive. These RVing times sure are different from a few years ago! And way different from many years ago!
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara
4 REPLIES 4

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all so much for your input! Think I'll go "drive" that section between Bend and Sisters on Google maps street view. Also, when the time comes, I'll definitely check Oregon road conditions website. And who knows...there may be fires to contend with too! Hope not of course, for everyone's safety.

goducks10...That looks like a perfect alternate route if I'm uncomfortable with 20 all the way. Thanks!
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I would take a bit longer route. I'd take hwy 20 to Bend then take 20 from Bend to hwy 22 to Salem and I-5 south to hwy 34 to Newport.
The section of hwy from the Santiam Jct to sweet Home is terrible. It's slow and very curvy and always seems like it's being repaired. We towed over that section last summer and unless necessary won't be towing over it again.
There's a reason why we loved riding our motorcycles over it. MC's love curves.

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
I've done that route many times with gassers and DPs without any problems. After Sisters it get very twisty but all you have to do is pay attention and use your gears on the down hills. I'm still waiting for Sasquatch to cross in front of us in that area!!!
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

Y-Guy
Hwy 20 between Burns and Bend is fine, sort of boring to be honest. Between Bend & Albany is a nice drive, summer can bit a bit crazy but no major issues. Itโ€™s a pretty major east/west route. There is one switch back area between 126 & Cascadia but youโ€™ll be totally fine. In Sisters the Bend/Sisters Garden RV Resort is really nice, stayed there a couple of years ago and its VERY well maintained and very nice (clean) grounds. From Albany to Newport is good now that the major construction is over closer to Newport. Watch your speed going through Philomath - I think they City counts on speeders in its annual budget.

I canโ€™t see any reason not to go Hwy 20 if you are going to Newport, but google says going I85 to I5 only adds about 22 minutes.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon