cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help creating storage space

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought a Floorplan that we really like. It has a drawback that we are trying to overcome - storage. We made a concious decision to go in this direction given how we travel.

I want to add a jacket storage area and clothes shelf space to it that is not too intrusive and lightweight. My concern is holding that down while traveling.

I have been thinking about lightweight cube storage. I wonder if anyone had any good suggestions.

The floorplan is a Puma Palomino 27RLSS.
https://palominorv.com/travel-trailers-and-fifth-wheels/puma/27RLSS/2573

A potential space is the area between the slide and the bedroom for a cube storage but I am open to any and all suggestions.

MC
7 REPLIES 7

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Screwing into a wood stud is straight forward, but if you have aluminum studs things get a little more complicated. Providing the cabinet stands on the floor which will support all of the weight, you could use hollow wall anchors (molly bolts) to secure the cabinet to the wall.

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow! That is inspiring. Great work!
I will PM you if that is okay as I tackle a few of these.

The closet is my coat solution but I am having a hard time finding one pre-made that is tall and narrow. Most tend to hang clothes perpendicular to it. I just want one 10-12 inches deep where I can hang 2-4 coats parallel to it.

I am assuming it is OK to find a wood stud and screw the sides in place. Hopefully, it won't tip over in transit.

Mc

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Adding a cabinet to the camper may indeed solve your problem, but you may be able to get additional storage by modifying the storage space you already have. To get some ideas check out my post titled " catalog of all my mods" You can find it here

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30197633.cfm

Specifically you may be able to add shelves in existing cabinets. My link shows examples of adding shelves above the hanging rod in closets, and adding shelves in tall cabinets. I also modified the large storage space under the bed to create three drawers at the bottom while preserving some trunk space at the top.

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree, a small coat closet may fit there. Any suggestions?

It has to be tall and narrow. Perhaps room for 4 coats, brooms and a few shelves at the bottom. The 27RLSS is a great Floorplan but it needs a coat/broom closet.

I now need to find something that works and hope I have a stud in the right place to hold it securely.

MC

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
speediq99 wrote:
Thank you

That is a great idea. I need to make sure I have the room to rehang that door and a place to order the cabinet.

Some manufacturers think more than others ๐Ÿ™‚

MC

I was impressed by the layout of this unit, build quality is another matter. I also wish I had a roof vent in the main living area and cross breeze windows by the couch. All things to lookout for in the next trailer in 4-5 years ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

*Edit*
After getting the stupid 3D thing to let me into the bedroom I don't think you have enough room to rehang it, but you probably don't need to, looks like there's a decent amount of room between the bedroom door and the slide, just find a unit that will fit in that space.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you

That is a great idea. I need to make sure I have the room to rehang that door and a place to order the cabinet.

Some manufacturers think more than others ๐Ÿ™‚

MC

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're willing to rehang your bedroom door so it can swing into the bedroom you could add a "linen" cabinet to the hallway like we have. It's about 5" deep on the inside so maybe 5.5-5.7" deep total. Ours is big enough that our boys can both fit 2 weeks of clothes in it easily.

Forum hates my photo link so here's a YouTube link showing the cabinet:
Video
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH