Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How to boost charge AGM batteries in storage?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How to boost charge AGM batteries in storage?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/21 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://lifelinebatteries.com/wp-content/........0101-Rev-E-Lifeline-Technical-Manual.pdf

Page 20 has the 20% mention but is for deeper than 50% DOD cycling. They do say if you don't have that many amps of a charger, you could use their constant current final stage trick (hard to do with normal charging equipment)

That is in contrast with Trojan's 20% for all Bulk stage AGM charging (which would have to be under 75% SOC to get any Bulk Stage with a 20% initial charging rate)

The Lifeline manual does give some times for the Absorption stage, which are not very long, but not clear on the whole profile those times go with seems to me.

That Lifeline blurb also mentions progressive capacity loss from a series of incomplete recharging like 50-90s when you would get sulphation and then have to do a reconditioning. That desulphation would not harm the battery anywhere near as much as leaving it sulphated IMO.

In all cases you still need an ammeter to see when you are down to 0.5a/100AH. Your charger or converter can't tell you that. It especially can't tell you that the amps being accepted have started to rise again after tapering! Oops. Stop the recharge! the battery is heating up.

* This post was edited 04/30/21 05:04pm by BFL13 *

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/21 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Using kWh measurement, recharging at less than 20% A/H capacity from 50% level of charge progressively deteriorates the final AH storage capacity of the Lifeline. Like any other electrochemical reaction, the effect is time reactionary. The longer the accumulator stays discharged and the slower the recharge x cumulative number the greater the storage degradation. In effect - my stored 31 would be affected more by slow recharge than a similar unit discharged for a day or week.

Weekly application of temp compensated 14.4 volts constant for 2 hours each would approach ideal numbers. Temp compensation would be important.

But for my unit I have decided that 8 hours at 14.4 voltage saturated (constant voltage) would be ideal. The battery may start out at 80 amperes acceptance. Such high amperage in excess of 20.0 (It's a 100 amp hour 31) is not necessary.

Any arguments against this protocol would have to contain explanation of its service life and ultimate low loss of capacity, please.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/21 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Weekly application of temp compensated 14.4 volts constant for 2 hours each would approach ideal numbers. Temp compensation would be important.......

I use temp compensation. Even so 14.3 or 14.4 nominal volts and 2 hours typically leaves me a long way short of 0.5%. In fact if I start with batteries at about 75%, after bulk, I can hold the absorption for 2 hours and am still pulling about 3% amps. I called Lifeline and discussed this without any resolution or new information. I typically need to maintain 14.3 volts for at least 4 hours to get below 1%. That is with relatively new batteries. Since I am using solar, an interruption with a passing cloud or some shade will greatly prolong the absorption charging time. Sometimes it seems that even a brief interruption results in the need for another hour of absorption charging.

The whole process just seems weird and exceedingly slow.

MEXICOWANDERER

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/21 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maintenance not in use.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/21 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Maintenance not in use.

I think I need a Mex to English translator.

red31

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/21 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Maintenance not in use.

maintenance - not in use, not being discharged, stand by.

in use - being discharged or used!

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/21 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

red31 wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Maintenance not in use.

maintenance - not in use, not being discharged, stand by.

in use - being discharged or used!

This makes even less sense. I feel like I landed on an alien planet.

MEXICOWANDERER

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/21 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stored

Cycled

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How to boost charge AGM batteries in storage?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.