cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick connect LP fitting won't work with standard gas grill?

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
My FW has a quick connect LP fitting for attaching a grill etc. I have a nice grill and a camp chef LP fire pit. Both can be attached directly to a bottle. I thought I would try getting the quick connect hose that I could run either of these. According to my local RV shop, it can't be done. I was told that the quick connect fittings are low pressure and my grill and fire pit require high pressure and so there is no way to connect them. Is that right? Apparently there is a "special" grill that hooks to the quick connect?
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
20 REPLIES 20

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I have a large three burner camp chef stove.
I removed the regulator on stove added a quick disconnect. Then added a tee with a valve and disconnect on my rv propane after the regulator. Works great no more lugging around a 10gal propane tank.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:
msmith1.wa wrote:
stickdog wrote:
Mel Stuplich wrote:
Most standard gas grills must be connected BEFORE the LP pressure regulator on the RV.

You can't double regulate.
Remove the regulator from your grill and then connect to your standard regulated quick connect.

Yes you can my dad did it a motorhome he had for many years.

A general rule of thumb is you can't double regulate.
I don't dispute that your dad was able to do it but for the most part to regulators will reduce the gas flow to inoperable levels.

I’m willing my to bet his BBQ worked but not at its full capacity.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Lantley wrote:
msmith1.wa wrote:
stickdog wrote:
Mel Stuplich wrote:
Most standard gas grills must be connected BEFORE the LP pressure regulator on the RV.

Remove the regulator from your grill and then connect to your standard regulated quick connect.

I don't dispute that your dad was able to do it but for the most part to regulators will reduce the gas flow to inoperable levels.

Mine work fine double regulating. My weber is connected to the low pressure side of the propane regulator using a quick connect, the Weber has a regulator too. All works well.

JimR

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
msmith1.wa wrote:
stickdog wrote:
Mel Stuplich wrote:

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
Mel Stuplich wrote:

2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Mel Stuplich wrote:

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
Your grill will work fine with two low pressure regulators in the line. The pressure at the burner will be which ever regulator has the lowest pressure setting.

Depending on the fire pit it may not work as well as if it was connected to a tank using the regulator supplied by the manufacturer. Sum fire pits use a 5psi regulator, much higher pressure than than the regulator for the rv system.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
way2roll wrote:
I think I am just going to save my money and carry a small tank like I always have just for the grill and firepit. Makes me wonder though, since most of the grills out there require high pressure, why would manufacturers opt to put the quick connect after the regulator? Then you are either forced to buy a low pressure grill or spend a bunch of money to make it work with standard ones. Is it a liability to have a high pressure quick disconnect?

Those quick connects were initially installed to be used with RVQ and RV specific grills. You need to adapt them to use with other grills.
Making the quick connect low pressure is ultimately safe and more cost effective vs. having high pressure running to each RV appliance and quick connect. One regulator controls the pressure vs. requiring a separate regulator for each appliance. You have to look at the big picture of the LP system vs. focusing on the quick connect.
I can attach all my lp appliance via quick connect or 20# tank. I have multiple hoses and connectors.
I don't mind carrying any extra tank. However I want to be able to spontaneously use my lp appliances even if I did not bring a spare tank.
I don't want to plan to use the appliances or remember to bring a tank.
Correct Trax,Splendide

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
I think I am just going to save my money and carry a small tank like I always have just for the grill and firepit. Makes me wonder though, since most of the grills out there require high pressure, why would manufacturers opt to put the quick connect after the regulator? Then you are either forced to buy a low pressure grill or spend a bunch of money to make it work with standard ones. Is it a liability to have a high pressure quick disconnect?
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Standard gas grill wants input to the regulator at about 100 PSI give or take quite a bit.

Quick connect is post regulator about 1/2 PSI. (NOTE the use the word about)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I have a Weber BBQ with it's own regulator and I use the low pressure side of the propane from the RV with the quick connect. Works just fine.

JimR

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Mel_Stuplich
Explorer
Explorer

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
way2roll wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
DancinCampers wrote:
I found a connector for my Blackstone grill on Amazon, with quick disconnect hose. Works great. I would chack if they have one for yours, if not amazon the google.

I looked, I found, this clicky

If I understand correctly (and that's giving more credit here than we should) I can take the current hose with regulator off the grill and/or fire pit, and attach this hose instead. Keeping the old hose of course and swap back if connecting directly to a small tank. Do I have that right?

Yes that is the general idea.
Correct Trax,Splendide