cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12v to 6v review?

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Currently have 2-12v 7ear old batteries that appear to be getting weak. Am thinking of replacing with 2-6v GC batteries (or maybe 4).
Anyone have experience or real world review of moving to the 6โ€™s?

FWIW - I understand the wiring process, have solar, battery monitor, etc etc. Just curious of the pros/cons between the two systems if anyone made the move.
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚
75 REPLIES 75

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
My company tested flooded batteries for the majors for 14 years. But if you prefer I retire from commenting then it's Hasta La Vista. I've got better things to do. ๐Ÿ™‚

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
SabreCanuck wrote:

I write this in the hopes that the admins will simply shut this down.
lol

You could simply ask them. That would waste fewer key strokes, and would have left folks willing to try to help in the future--but some of us will be "out" now. BTW I do have experience with six volt batteries--but it was 1954 and they are different today.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Never in the history of the internet has so many theoretical keyboard professionals ever wasted so much time as to not answer the actual question of whether or not you have real life experience switching between the two.
As the OP I wish to thank those that have PMd me their experience outside of this ridiculous circle of experts trying to prove to each other they are smrt.
I write this in the hopes that the admins will simply shut this down.
lol
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
In some cases it's easier to ring down for room service.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
I will ask the autozone clerk next time if they have virgin lead batteries and ask about if the separators are 30 or 80 cent. Im sure that will help get me the right battery.
Just the other day it was 155 in the shade, on the ground, and I was wondering if my AC would cool the trailer running off solar as I wanted to eat an ice cream cone slowly without it dripping down my hand.
My theromatic ignitifier gave a reading of 0.330 and we all laughed. The other guy said his was 0.331 and I almost lost it rolling on the floor. If we magnetize the ignitifire 3% then re-test it gets even crazier. I suggested a 30 cent separator also, but everyone else thought it was crazy.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
When unshaded ground reaches 155ยฐF your roof becomes inconsequential. On a beach in Quintana Roo, three roof airs barely kept my bus habitable. But once the local lobersterman's kids built a palmetto frond shelter 2 roof airs were more than adequate. The vehicle faced the ocean. The kids made a funnel-like entrance.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boon Docker wrote:
Let me help you out here.

Quote: "when it's too hot to park in the sun, roof top solar panels are useless"

:B
If the roof is getting sun.... you don't have enough solar panels.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot more differences than mere thicker plates. I have related the story of the ABC 6 cell battery built with .080" plates. 40 amp hours and instant acid starvation. It's cycle life was measured in days.

Or a customer in a bus with one of the first Trace Engineering 2524 SB inverters purchased solely for his microwave oven. I set him up with four group 31 Delco calcium/Calcium 1100 CCA batteries. The longest cycle was 3 minutes. I lost track of the man from La Mesa 5 years later with the batteries still going strong.
Beyond GC batteries the 6 cell scrubber batteries have even thicker plates the same as L16s, then 2 volt cells. My military built Rolls batteries have .300" plates but I had to parallel them for a total of 24 batteries in order to get enough CCA for a Trace 4024 inverter. It had to start a 7ยฝ HP well pump under head pressure.
Auditing and engineering is the key. Find the best fit then stick with it.
But keep in mind a six hundred dollar drum of plate paste cannot equal a twenty seven hundred dollar drum of plate paste. And a .30 cent separator is not an eighty cent separator. Virgin lead is far superior to reclaimed lead but twice as expensive.
So pointing toward a YUGO then a RR Phantom and stating "same" because they have 4 wheels and a motor, is foolish.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Mexicowanderer, im not sure you are writing whet you mean and getting your point across. Hot under the sun?
I dont think anyone here, I hope not, would ever consider using an automotive battery, this is pure nonsense, that has not even been discussed in this thread that I recall.

I think the general consensus is that 6 volt batteries are better for RV use simply because they have thicker plates. If the 12s had thicker plates then we would not be discussing. Most will buy batteries at an automotive shop or walmark where they are easy to get and easy to warranty and easy to find exact replacements for, so we are mostly discussing flooded lead acid batteries. The differences being the 12s are Marine and the 6s are Golf cart; compromise batteries vs a true deep cycle batt.
the 12s have to be paired with same age/same voltage SOC while the 6s don't care.

Yes, for large, high current, high amp draws the automotive battery will deliver, once or twice, the Marine batt will do pretty good as it is able to surge more amps to high draw appliances, but not take as many discharge/recharge cycles at a true deep cycle batt,
BUT overall for most RVers the true deep cycle (the 6s) will give the longest life and the best preformance for most RV needs.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
OK I'll lower the bridge to fit the ship...

When it's too hot to park in the sun, it means for you. The panels can care less. Of course someone *could* insist on 135 degrees inside just because the batteries wouldn't charge if he didn't. This is referred to as prettyfartsmeller planning.

There is zero comparison between golf car battery construction and automotive battery with rope handles and weird terminals construction. I attempted to describe exactly why this is true. But once again the bridge seemingly was too high for the boat? Pull all the books on celestial mechanics and phasor algebra off the shelf?

I am a Battery Council International certified design engineer the last I checked. That should satisfy any "you designed" questions. Membership in the BCI is expensive. So I let it lapse. It wasn't paying me a nickel.

One member posted there was "no proof" that there was a difference between golf car and automotive battery lifespan. There is a pregnant pause after that statement.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
When it is too hot to park in the sun, then it is time to move on.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
mr_andyj wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
If automotive batteries were sufficient, golf cars, electric forklifts and submarines would have been powered by car batteries.

I'll repeat it. A group 27 battery was fitted with GC220 plates. It had 220 CCA and died from acid starvation. Designer: Me. Vendor ABC BATTERY Los Angeles.

and remember when it's too hot to park in the sun, roof top solar panels are useless.

Ummm, umm, I'll repeat, ummm.. You lost me there. Too hot? I don't think so, solar works in the sun. And, the battery "you" designed failed? That tells me more than I need to know...

Let me help you out here.

Quote: "when it's too hot to park in the sun, roof top solar panels are useless"

:B

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
If automotive batteries were sufficient, golf cars, electric forklifts and submarines would have been powered by car batteries.

I'll repeat it. A group 27 battery was fitted with GC220 plates. It had 220 CCA and died from acid starvation. Designer: Me. Vendor ABC BATTERY Los Angeles.

and remember when it's too hot to park in the sun, roof top solar panels are useless.

Ummm, umm, I'll repeat, ummm.. You lost me there. Too hot? I don't think so, solar works in the sun. And, the battery "you" designed failed? That tells me more than I need to know...

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
SabreCanuck wrote:
Currently have 2-12v 7ear old batteries that appear to be getting weak. Am thinking of replacing with 2-6v GC batteries (or maybe 4).
Anyone have experience or real world review of moving to the 6โ€™s?
Where do you camp? I didnt read the 4 pages sorry if answered.