Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: 12v to 6v review?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 12v to 6v review?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/21 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Or don't waste your time, since you arent' really into researching it anyway.
Pros - everything
Cons - Nothing, except you cant pull one to run your trolling motor or jump start your car.

Why even bother replying if you can't do it without sarcasm. [emoticon]

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/21 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IT is all about numbers. And one other thign
The numbers
Two Group 24's are about 150 AH and you can use about 30-40
Two Group 27's just under 200 AH and 50-60
Two Group 29's just over 200 and again about 50-60
Two Group 31's 260 and about 60=70

These are MARINE/deep cycle (really starting batteries) and really do not like to go below 75% State of charge However you can get 'em Maintenance FREE which may be a plus.

GC-2 Assorted sizs from 210 to 230 putting two of them in series does NOT increase the amp hours but you can use fully half that power or about 110 amp hours (give or take a bit) before you damage the batteries. That's dang newar 2x the usable power.

They are, however, often "Flooded wet" Meaning from time to time you have to give 'em a drink of DISTILLED water.. Fill to like 1/4" below the bottom of the filler tube if they are charged. 1/2" if they are not.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/21 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went from a worn-out 12V battery to a pair of GC2s. No complaints at all. Their performance is a whole lot better, but naturally that's partly due to the worn-out part for the old battery.

I did have to modify the battery holder (under the entry steps on my class C) to have sufficient height above the batteries since the GC2s were a little taller.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/21 10:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Or don't waste your time, since you arent' really into researching it anyway.
Pros - everything
Cons - Nothing, except you cant pull one to run your trolling motor or jump start your car.

well I'll disagree. the drawback to 6V is high internal resistance compared to 12V. So if your normal draw is in the 10-30A range, 6V are great. Take a pair of 6V and try to draw 100A for a microwave inverter load, and you'll quickly discover the drawback. At around 80% SOC the inverter is likely to shut down due to low voltage.
This is also impacted by the fact that under such a load with 12V you likely have a pair of 12V so each only needs to supply 50A, unlike the 6V bank needing to supply the total load from each battery.
So for heavy loads 12V may win or 4 GC-2's (500AH).

6V win on deep discharge (500 cycles at 75% DOD) and life, but not on heavy current draw

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/21 10:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SabreCanuck,

What matters is available amp-hours. Pick what ever gives you that in a deep cycle battery.

There is one caveat. If you are running a LARGE inverter (3000 watts) then 12 volt batteries may yield a longer run time.

My OEM battery drawer had room for three batteries--so I chose 12 volt because that gave me the greatest number of amp-hours.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SabreCanuck

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/21 11:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

I switched to 6v in 2004 and am happy enough with them to keep using 6v.

My only advice though is to only use 6v if you have the room and the budget for four batteries (or more). That way if something goes wrong with one of your batteries, you still have a functioning pair that make 12 volts.

This hasn't happened to me in a long time, but twice I've had a battery go bad. The first time we just had two 6v batteries, so losing one put us out of business until somebody nearby loaned us one of theirs for the weekend.

The second time, we had four batteries, so the second set did the trick until I could replace the bad one.

Thanks for that. That’s actually why i was considering 4 6v but then adding cost again. Interesting to hear that it actually happened to you and not just here say

2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ">

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/21 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will find many conflicting opinions on this subject. Most of the opinions will justify what choice the individual made. I do not think there is any data which demonstrates 6 volt batteries will perform better or last longer than equivalently sized deep cycle 12 volt batteries.

My battery compartment is relatively small so I picked a pair of 12v batteries that totally filled the compartment after I discarded the sliding tray to make more room. I also opted for AGM batteries because I did not want to check or maintain the batteries. At this point I open the door to the compartment once every year or so just to be sure there is no issue with the wiring or corrosion. I also opted for the best quality batteries with a good reputation: Lifeline. Now my only maintenance or concern is to be sure I fully charge the batteries at least every few days of use.

* This post was edited 04/29/21 07:52am by JimK-NY *

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

You will find many conflicting opinions on this subject. Most of the opinions will justify what choice the individual made. I do not think there is any data which demonstrates 6 volt batteries will perform better or last longer than equivalently sized deep cycle 12 volt batteries.

My battery compartment is relatively small so I picked a pair of 12v batteries that totally filled the compartment after I discarded the sliding tray to make more room. I also opted for AGM batteries because I did not want to check or maintain the batteries. At this point I open the door to the compartment once every year or so just to be sure there is no issue with the wiring or corrosion. I also opted for the best quality batteries with a good reputation: Lifeline. Now my only maintenance or concern is to be sure I fully charge the batteries at least every few days of use.

when comparing life cycles trojan true deep cycle 12V vs trojan 6V the 6V has about double the life cycle discharges vs. the 12V. Now that said, either probably gives way more cycles than the vast majority of RV users will experience before age ends battery life. The 6V has about 500 cycles to 25% SOC,

But as I mentioned in a previous post 12V have a distinct advantage with high current draw applications, way lower internal resistance and current usually divided amongst more batteries.

So pick what best fits your use application.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/21 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

..when comparing life cycles trojan true deep cycle 12V vs trojan 6V the 6V has about double the life cycle discharges vs. the 12V. Now that said, either probably gives way more cycles than the vast majority of RV users will experience before age ends battery life. The 6V has about 500 cycles to 25% SOC...

I know nothing about Trojan batteries. I don't even know if you are referring to flooded or AGM batteries. I did check my Lifeline manual and for 25% the life expectancy does indeed drop to about 500 cycles. I rarely go below 50% and typically I am 75% or greater. That gives me about 2000 cycles and I am unlikely to hit anywhere near that amount in 10 years or so that I would expect to keep the batteries.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

well I'll disagree. the drawback to 6V is high internal resistance compared to 12V. So if your normal draw is in the 10-30A range, 6V are great. Take a pair of 6V and try to draw 100A for a microwave inverter load, and you'll quickly discover the drawback. At around 80% SOC the inverter is likely to shut down due to low voltage.
This is also impacted by the fact that under such a load with 12V you likely have a pair of 12V so each only needs to supply 50A, unlike the 6V bank needing to supply the total load from each battery.
So for heavy loads 12V may win or 4 GC-2's (500AH).

6V win on deep discharge (500 cycles at 75% DOD) and life, but not on heavy current draw

True statement that I didn't consider, if folks are running a large inverter off of 6Vs.

But to jimk and your points about battery life, not everyone, actually no one I know except the in depth discussions on this board, actually are regimented in their battery care and conditioning and 6Vs tolerate more "abuse" and lower SOC rtes much better than 12Vs.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 12v to 6v review?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.