Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Odd size brake replacement suggestions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Odd size brake replacement suggestions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
rambleonrose

In the depths of my own project hell

New Member

Joined: 09/21/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/28/21 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Getting our old Class C up and running again, and I've hit a brick wall with brake replacement.

It's a Chevy C30 van body, 16.5 rims. One of the back brakes is seized. We've called pretty much everywhere around, and no one wants to touch it because parts would be so hard to find (odd size, apparently....)

Has anyone bought their own parts and taken it to a shop before with any luck?

Also, any recommendations for searching for these?

klutchdust

Orange, California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2004

View Profile



Posted: 04/28/21 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rock Auto. If anyone has what you need they should.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/28/21 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not that your shops cannot find the parts, they apparently just don't want to work on it.
Parts are readily available. 16.5" tires, not so much, or more accurately, they are more expensive than 16s and much less selection and availability.
If you need tires, I'd look for a newer set of dually takeoffs in 16" or 17" rims. They're very plentiful and reasonably priced.

* This post was edited 04/28/21 02:03pm by Grit dog *


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/28/21 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And I've taken my own parts to a shop before, no problem. Sometimes a shop will request I get the part "I want." Generally not stock parts though.
Sounds like the shop doesn't want your business either because they are full up or because they don't want a "project."
Which, IMO is a fair stance to take, if not hurting for work. When working on an old vehicle that someone isn't maybe prepared to spend alot of money on (getting an old van "up and running" vs rebuilding or restoring a classic vehicle), the shop sees it as a risk if they determine that a vehicle that isn't worth much, suddenly needs more work than the owner is willing to pay for given the value of the vehicle.
If you can be very clear in your communication and expectations, maybe have to put some money down on the work if the shop sees it as risky, you may be able to get the work done.

But I've gotten parts for and done brake work on 2 different 70s Chevy trucks in recent months.

* This post was edited 04/28/21 02:09pm by Grit dog *

lwbfl

Florida Panhandle

Full Member

Joined: 08/02/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/28/21 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rambleonrose wrote:

Getting our old Class C up and running again, and I've hit a brick wall with brake replacement.

It's a Chevy C30 van body, 16.5 rims. One of the back brakes is seized. We've called pretty much everywhere around, and no one wants to touch it because parts would be so hard to find (odd size, apparently....)

Has anyone bought their own parts and taken it to a shop before with any luck?

Also, any recommendations for searching for these?


That's the best way to make sure you get the right replacement parts, take the old ones with you. People take the parts to their shop all the time, but it isn't any cheaper. I deliver parts from the store to the shop, they get a discount and charge you more than we do for the part. I had the same chassis, you'll be surprised how simple it is to fix yourself (but everything is heavy).


1976 Myself and Wife
2009 DD
3 Doggies
2016 Chevy Z71
2021 Coachmen Apex 253RLS



BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

Senior Member

Joined: 09/20/2001

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/29/21 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What year is the MH?


2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!


Jarlaxle

New England

Senior Member

Joined: 11/18/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/29/21 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rear brakes interchange on these vans from 1974-1996, and HD pickups use the same brakes, 1974-2000. Any part store should have shoes in stock.


John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 2 nutty cats...RIP, Maya ">
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

rambleonrose

In the depths of my own project hell

New Member

Joined: 09/21/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/29/21 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lwbfl wrote:

rambleonrose wrote:

Getting our old Class C up and running again, and I've hit a brick wall with brake replacement.

It's a Chevy C30 van body, 16.5 rims. One of the back brakes is seized. We've called pretty much everywhere around, and no one wants to touch it because parts would be so hard to find (odd size, apparently....)

Has anyone bought their own parts and taken it to a shop before with any luck?

Also, any recommendations for searching for these?


That's the best way to make sure you get the right replacement parts, take the old ones with you. People take the parts to their shop all the time, but it isn't any cheaper. I deliver parts from the store to the shop, they get a discount and charge you more than we do for the part. I had the same chassis, you'll be surprised how simple it is to fix yourself (but everything is heavy).



I'm not even 100% sure which ones to get. It's not like I can throw her up on a lift and pull off the tire. It would be infinitely easier if I could, and if I could, I'd just do my own brakes.


And I did call three different places, and got the same response (which, I'll add, I've gotten at auto repair places as well....) if their suppliers don't stock it, they can't get it. Yeah, sounds like a crock of **** to me, too, but if that's their policy, there's not much I can do about it.

As for the tires, two of the places said it would be easypeasy. If I were to get them myself, just a quick search looked fairly promising as well.

As this is a vehicle I've not worked on a lot (unlike my jeep, Beetle, etc) I feel like I'm flying a little blind when it comes to replacement parts. And being the ?th owner, there's definitely no manual of any kind.

Thanks for the input, though, I'm going to do some researching online, and maybe come back with a few Qs.

rambleonrose

In the depths of my own project hell

New Member

Joined: 09/21/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/29/21 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

And I've taken my own parts to a shop before, no problem. Sometimes a shop will request I get the part "I want." Generally not stock parts though.
Sounds like the shop doesn't want your business either because they are full up or because they don't want a "project."
Which, IMO is a fair stance to take, if not hurting for work. When working on an old vehicle that someone isn't maybe prepared to spend alot of money on (getting an old van "up and running" vs rebuilding or restoring a classic vehicle), the shop sees it as a risk if they determine that a vehicle that isn't worth much, suddenly needs more work than the owner is willing to pay for given the value of the vehicle.
If you can be very clear in your communication and expectations, maybe have to put some money down on the work if the shop sees it as risky, you may be able to get the work done.

But I've gotten parts for and done brake work on 2 different 70s Chevy trucks in recent months.


This wouldn't surprise me. It's spring, and everyone is getting their rig ready to go.

I would consider whole wheels if the price were right. A quick search online for my sizes showed 115-130 per tire, x6. Not sure if I'm missing any info besides the numbers, like loading or anything, but that's the preliminary search. I've only worked on regular cars/trucks, so this is new turf for me.

lwbfl

Florida Panhandle

Full Member

Joined: 08/02/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/29/21 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm confused why they consider that an odd size anyway. There are literally two choices in brake shoes. Both are normal stock at my local auto parts stores. The tires are not hard to find, heck both Wal-Mart stores near me have some in stock. I think they are just being lazy at those shops. You really can just use a floor jack, I took mine one at a time to the tire shop when I replaced them all.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Odd size brake replacement suggestions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.