cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EZ Pass with and without trailer

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Getting the EZ Pass device for east coast toll roads, do you need a separate unit for when you're towing vs not towing?
27 REPLIES 27

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:
curt12914 wrote:

If you anticipate a trip that may go over your preset amount, you can go in to the EZ Pass website and do a one time payment, up to $3000. According to the website, the "New balance will be effective in 24 hours."

The penalty is too high to count on their system despite their assurances.

It takes seconds to check what your account balance is online.
2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
lenr wrote:
Many, many, of the states have monthly service charges for their EZ-Pass accounts, including NY the last time I checked. That service charge month in and month out could easily offset the RV discount for using a NY transponder. The Central Florida Expressway offers the Uni-Pass which works in 18 EZ-Pass states and most toll bridges in the Eastern US. You can buy one off Amazon and then set up a linked account with CFX. It has NO service charge!!! You give them a charge card to draw from and an amount to trigger a refill of your account. Simple. You can also register your tow vehicle and trailer plates--some states bill by plate if you have no transponder. I have done all this and it worked just fine in FL and the River-Link bridges in Louisville.

I believe both CFX and Sun-pass (FL turnpike) say to only use one transponder and they will count the axles. They warn that you may get double charged if you use two transponders. Personally, which, I've done, is to get one Uni-Pass and let the states figure it out--I'll bet the axle count will be correct or less than they should have been.

NY E-ZPass does not charge a monthly fee if you have automatic replenishment unless you want printed statements mailed to you. NY-NJ Port Authority issued E-ZPass accounts do have a monthly fee as I recall. E-ZPass is now, or will shortly be, accepted on both GA and FL toll roads that are not already in the E-ZPass system.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:
One of the biggest downfalls of the NY Ezpass and perhaps others is the delay in replenishing your account. Typically it takes a minimum of 48 hours for a cc deposit to become available for use, although the instant the request is made the CC company credits them. This can be an expensive mistake if you drive from say NYC to DC in one day with the number of toll bridges and toll roads if your account is low to begin with. If there is a big toll day ahead always check on your account on line and make a 1 time payment to cover your planned tolls at least 48 hours in advance. Typically your account holds a very low amount like $25 and of course an even lower threshold to trigger the call for replenishment.

I found it advantageous to have multiple transponders; one for the truck and another for truck and trailer combo. It's been quite a while since I've towed so perhaps it's not necessary any longer. In those days NYS Thruway and MBTA each had its own passes.

I've never had a problem with tolls exceeding my NY E-ZPass balance using automatic replenishment. The replenishment amount has been credited immediately and I've never been charged a penalty. I do have two transponders for our motorhome, one with the toad connected and one without. Both tags are through the NYS Thruway's "Motorhome Plan" that charges me standard passenger car per axle tolls instead of the higher "tall vehicle" tolls.
Dutch

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
curt12914 wrote:
I am thinking seriously of getting a
Uni-Pass to replace my EZ Pass. It is accepted in all states EZ Pass is, plus Georgia and Florida.

Before you buy the Uni-Pass, you might want to read this article on E-ZPass use in GA and FL. E-ZPass is already accepted on the CFX roadways in FL.

Floridaโ€™s Turnpike Enterprise and the State Road and Tollway Authority of Georgia to Join E-ZPass Ne...
Dutch

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never lived in PA but when I lived in MD they started charging for the EZ pass so I changed to one from the PA turnpike. I now live in NC and have 5 tag numbers registered with that EZ pass but not my 2 trailers, one with 3 axels. I have towed this mess all over the country and never had a problem. Recently in FL I went on a tow road from Orlando to I-95 and had to pay CASH, oh well.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
curt12914 wrote:

If you anticipate a trip that may go over your preset amount, you can go in to the EZ Pass website and do a one time payment, up to $3000. According to the website, the "New balance will be effective in 24 hours."

The penalty is too high to count on their system despite their assurances.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:
One of the biggest downfalls of the NY Ezpass and perhaps others is the delay in replenishing your account. Typically it takes a minimum of 48 hours for a cc deposit to become available for use, although the instant the request is made the CC company credits them. This can be an expensive mistake if you drive from say NYC to DC in one day with the number of toll bridges and toll roads if your account is low to begin with. If there is a big toll day ahead always check on your account on line and make a 1 time payment to cover your planned tolls at least 48 hours in advance. Typically your account holds a very low amount like $25 and of course an even lower threshold to trigger the call for replenishment.

I found it advantageous to have multiple transponders; one for the truck and another for truck and trailer combo. It's been quite a while since I've towed so perhaps it's not necessary any longer. In those days NYS Thruway and MBTA each had its own passes.

2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II

2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many, many, of the states have monthly service charges for their EZ-Pass accounts, including NY the last time I checked. That service charge month in and month out could easily offset the RV discount for using a NY transponder. The Central Florida Expressway offers the Uni-Pass which works in 18 EZ-Pass states and most toll bridges in the Eastern US. You can buy one off Amazon and then set up a linked account with CFX. It has NO service charge!!! You give them a charge card to draw from and an amount to trigger a refill of your account. Simple. You can also register your tow vehicle and trailer plates--some states bill by plate if you have no transponder. I have done all this and it worked just fine in FL and the River-Link bridges in Louisville.

I believe both CFX and Sun-pass (FL turnpike) say to only use one transponder and they will count the axles. They warn that you may get double charged if you use two transponders. Personally, which, I've done, is to get one Uni-Pass and let the states figure it out--I'll bet the axle count will be correct or less than they should have been.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
It was the confusion on the website and what I was told by CSR at EZ Pass

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
I found this article online: towing and ez pass

For a standard hitch trailer, it appears that you can use the standard pass and the system will account for the proper number of axles and height as you go through.

If you have a 5th wheel or motorhome, you want to get the towing pass because you get a toll discount. If you use the standard pass, you will not get that toll discount.

That might just explain it. Lol.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found this article online: towing and ez pass

For a standard hitch trailer, it appears that you can use the standard pass and the system will account for the proper number of axles and height as you go through.

If you have a 5th wheel or motorhome, you want to get the towing pass because you get a toll discount. If you use the standard pass, you will not get that toll discount.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
In nj, they said only the one tag. It counts the axels. I have used it in ny and pa with no problems with 2 different axel campers.

Same here in Ohio. It counts my axles and charges accordingly. I also have used mine in PA with no problem.

David_and_Chris
Explorer
Explorer
I also have 2 EZ-Passes, white one for the truck and the blue one for the Cedar Creek.

David
David