Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: EZ Pass with and without trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> EZ Pass with and without trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/21 01:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I must have a fluke of a transponder cuz I just have a white one and gets used in 2 diff vehicles and when used w/ the truck, reads right towing/not towing.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Crabbypatty

Long Island, New York

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 04:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can use just the EZ pass however you will receive a lower rate if you also get the trailer Ez Pass. It doesn't cost anymore. We have them both. We didn't know about it and was royally over charged bringing home our fifth wheel and learned about it on another rv thread.

John, Lisa & Tara">">">
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

In nj, they said only the one tag. It counts the axels. I have used it in ny and pa with no problems with 2 different axel campers.

That is what I have, never have had an issue with it. With people saying a "discount" with a separate tag, maybe I'll look into that.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/21 05:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Getting the EZ Pass device for east coast toll roads, do you need a separate unit for when you're towing vs not towing?

As you can see from the responses, different states have different rules. My suggestion is to guess which state you will be getting the most tolls in, go to that states ez-pass website and see what you need.
If you plan on crossing Pennsylvania on I-76 that will be your highest tolls.
There website is HERE. And this is what it says about pulling a camper in the FAQ.
I sometimes pull a camper or trailer with my vehicle.
Can I still use my transponder? Yes. On the Pennsylvania Turnpike, if the weight of the camper or trailer pushes you into a higher class of vehicle, the higher toll will be charged to your account. If you are traveling on other E-ZPass agency toll roads or bridges, please contact the appropriate agency for further information. Refer to the list participating agencies on FAQ # 2.

So it looks like you should check with every state and meet the minimum requirements of the one that requires the most.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

David_and_Chris

NYS Capital District

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have 2 EZ-Passes, white one for the truck and the blue one for the Cedar Creek.

David

David

Hondavalk

Toledo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/21 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

In nj, they said only the one tag. It counts the axels. I have used it in ny and pa with no problems with 2 different axel campers.

Same here in Ohio. It counts my axles and charges accordingly. I also have used mine in PA with no problem.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/21 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found this article online: towing and ez pass

For a standard hitch trailer, it appears that you can use the standard pass and the system will account for the proper number of axles and height as you go through.

If you have a 5th wheel or motorhome, you want to get the towing pass because you get a toll discount. If you use the standard pass, you will not get that toll discount.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/21 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

I found this article online: towing and ez pass

For a standard hitch trailer, it appears that you can use the standard pass and the system will account for the proper number of axles and height as you go through.

If you have a 5th wheel or motorhome, you want to get the towing pass because you get a toll discount. If you use the standard pass, you will not get that toll discount.

That might just explain it. Lol.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It was the confusion on the website and what I was told by CSR at EZ Pass

lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many, many, of the states have monthly service charges for their EZ-Pass accounts, including NY the last time I checked. That service charge month in and month out could easily offset the RV discount for using a NY transponder. The Central Florida Expressway offers the Uni-Pass which works in 18 EZ-Pass states and most toll bridges in the Eastern US. You can buy one off Amazon and then set up a linked account with CFX. It has NO service charge!!! You give them a charge card to draw from and an amount to trigger a refill of your account. Simple. You can also register your tow vehicle and trailer plates--some states bill by plate if you have no transponder. I have done all this and it worked just fine in FL and the River-Link bridges in Louisville.

I believe both CFX and Sun-pass (FL turnpike) say to only use one transponder and they will count the axles. They warn that you may get double charged if you use two transponders. Personally, which, I've done, is to get one Uni-Pass and let the states figure it out--I'll bet the axle count will be correct or less than they should have been.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> EZ Pass with and without trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.