Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: This should help with future GM EV tow vehicles.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> This should help with future GM EV tow vehicles.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Yeah, but how do you power your EV during a blackout? [emoticon]

From the battery.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/21 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

Reisender wrote:

I know right. Lol. [emoticon]. I can’t believe they did that. Are they holding the hose so the electrons don’t leak out? They might want to review their PR department staff qualifications. Lol. [emoticon].

Can someone steal electricity from EV's like like people would steal gas from cars years ago?

What do you mean "like years ago?" - they are still stealing gas from cars. ..

We had EVs at work. Other than stealing the battery, there isn't a way to move the electricity from one vehicle to another vehicle quickly and easily. But I'm sure that will change once EVs come down in price and are commonplace enough that the average riffraff will buy them instead of a 1989 buick or such.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Lwiddis

Owens River Road area, north of Mammoth

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/21 02:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the President proposing 500,000 charging stations nationwide, we are off to the races!

Alcoa couldn’t wait..neither can I. Let’s go!

PS...I like my ‘89 Buick.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Man, you would think based on how many times you guys make new threads about electric tow vehicles that there would be a lot of people actually towing with them..... How many of you all that constantly make a new electric vehicle thread every other day actually use yours to tow your RV? If not, then why so many different threads about electric vehicles in a tow vehicles section?

Why not just keep it to one thread like the Tesla Semi thread that seems to defy all odds by never getting closed yet other threads have gotten closed for less(you guys must have some blackmail pictures of Marty[emoticon]). And then when more people actually do use electric vehicles for towing, we can bring it to the tow vehicles section since it finally has relevance. Just a thought.

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

The same way you power your gasoline powered car in a blackout, you use what's left in the "tank" to either ride out the blackout or drive to where you can refuel. Few gas stations (at least around where I live) have backup generators.

The difference being that I'll almost always have a near full charge in my EV since I'd charge every night, while my gas tank might only be 1/4 full since I only go to the gas station when it's closer to empty.

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 03:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

Can someone steal electricity from EV's like like people would steal gas from cars years ago?

The new Hyundai Ionic 5 EV has an adapter you can plug into the charge port to let you draw power from the battery to power anything, including charging another EV.

But I assume that you need to have the key on, or at least somehow enable the power output, so it probably can't be used to steal power.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlw999 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

The same way you power your gasoline powered car in a blackout, you use what's left in the "tank" to either ride out the blackout or drive to where you can refuel. Few gas stations (at least around where I live) have backup generators.

The difference being that I'll almost always have a near full charge in my EV since I'd charge every night, while my gas tank might only be 1/4 full since I only go to the gas station when it's closer to empty.
Actually I was being kind of tongue in cheek, but if the blackout was a couple days or more, and you used your EV to power your house, what do you do when the EV is out of power? I usually keep a 5 gallon gas can around, but that type of thing might not work with an EV.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

gbopp wrote:

Reisender wrote:

I know right. Lol. [emoticon]. I can’t believe they did that. Are they holding the hose so the electrons don’t leak out? They might want to review their PR department staff qualifications. Lol. [emoticon].

What do you mean "like years ago?" - they are still stealing gas from cars. ..

We had EVs at work. Other than stealing the battery, there isn't a way to move the electricity from one vehicle to another vehicle quickly and easily. But I'm sure that will change once EVs come down in price and are commonplace enough that the average riffraff will buy them instead of a 1989 buick or such.

By 'years ago' I'm referring to older cars that don't have the rollover check valve or some type of obstruction.
I know gas is still stolen but I believe it's more difficult on newer cars.

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 11:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

if the blackout was a couple days or more, and you used your EV to power your house, what do you do when the EV is out of power? I usually keep a 5 gallon gas can around, but that type of thing might not work with an EV.

I doubt I'd use my EV to power my house any more than I'd use my current car to do so. If the power and natural gas went out and I had to rely on a generator to power my house, 5 gallons of gas would give me around 5 hours of heat from my heat pump, I'd need much more fuel to get me through an extended blackout.

Though I'm not sure why that's even a tradeoff... Even if you have an EV, you can still keep a 5 gallon can of gas to power a generator. Though if I were really worried about it, I'd probably get a 120 gallon Propane tank installed and use it to run a generator and maybe an auxiliary heat source like a gas fireplace in the house. That'd give around 80 hours of generator runtime (or longer if I don't need to run the heat pump) and propane doesn't degrade over time like gasoline.

Or maybe just skip the generator and go with solar on the roof and a Tesla Powerwall to power the house.

But in reality, since I park the RV near the house, if we had a blackout in severe weather, I'd just turn off the water and abandon the house and shelter in the RV assuming I couldn't just drive somewhere to get out of the power outage.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 11:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlw999 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

But you are killing Salmon.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> This should help with future GM EV tow vehicles.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.