cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Too hot

Cumminalong
Explorer
Explorer
Just asking is it too hot in the Black Hills ,Badlands in July?
21 REPLIES 21

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kavoom wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
WOW, that's an open ended question, Too hot? According to who, Or is it whom, but seeing that your from Ontario, and there's nearly NO shade there, I'd say yes.
Actually, the average temp in July is 89F, but I'm sure it can be quite a bit warmer.

But, it is a dry heat...

So is an oven ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜‰
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
hotpepperkid wrote:
That is really funny. Define too hot. For some 80 is too hot for me if it is under 75 Im wearing jeans and looking form my jacket, so 100 is comfortable for me

At 100 you can put me in my grave, dry heat or not! At about 55 I start thinking about a light jacket. Winter coats are reserved for walking the dog and other outside activity. Not a fan of cold weather but I'll take it any day over the heat.

Yup, you can't define "too hot".

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
WOW, that's an open ended question, Too hot? According to who, Or is it whom, but seeing that your from Ontario, and there's nearly NO shade there, I'd say yes.
Actually, the average temp in July is 89F, but I'm sure it can be quite a bit warmer.

But, it is a dry heat...

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have been to the Badlands and Black Hills over 20 times. It does get hot in the Badlands but if you plan for the heat and drink plenty of water you will not have any problems. The Black Hills campgrounds range from bare bones to ultra luxurious. My preference is mid-priced. I love Chris' Camp near Spearfish, Kemp's Kamp near Keystone, and Steel Wheel Campground near Deadwood. We also use many of the State or National Forest Campgrounds, many of them have lakes to swim in if it gets hot.
I will admit that one time we were there and it hit 100 degrees at Keystone. We bugged out.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

buck_n_duck
Explorer
Explorer
No, was there last July.
Brian

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have been to the Sturgis rally many times. Sometimes it is way too hot, even for this Florida boy ! Other times, it's cool, a few years ago, we had several inches of hail. Beautiful country.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
over a quarter million people visit sturgis (just down the road) the first week in august,never heard a complaint about to hot or too may clothes.
if it is to hot just get up early and see the sights then sit in front of the a/c later in the heat of the day.

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
That is really funny. Define too hot. For some 80 is too hot for me if it is under 75 Im wearing jeans and looking form my jacket, so 100 is comfortable for me
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Darklock
Explorer
Explorer
Last time I was there was in July 2019. Did not think it was too hot then.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is usually a large difference between the Badlands and the Black Hills, as well as a difference between the southern hills and the northern hills.

We are usually much drier than what you are probably used to. West river (western South Dakota) is much drier than east river. The Missouri River sort of splits the state down the middle.

That being said, there is always a chance storms will change things in a very short time.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
We lived in Rapid City for four years and one thing that was hard to predict was the weather. The only month we didn't have snow was July. But if you do have bad weather it will change quickly.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
weatherspark.com

We use this website. It gives typical weather info.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Define "too hot". For me much above 70 and I start to get uncomfortable. My sister doesn't get "too hot" until about 80 or so. Dry heat IS very different than wet heat. The two times I've been there it's been very dry. AND very hot-over 100 degrees in July/August.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Cumminalong
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, sounds good we can stand a little heat as we are in S Ontario where รฌt gets in the 30s (90f)with high humidity It will not be this year as covid is still a border issue, but next yr we hope to go. Thanks again