Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Laptop Docking station without USB-C?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Laptop Docking station without USB-C?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Dell laptop that I'd like to connect 2 monitors too. Currently I can use the laptops screen plus 1 monitor. I'd rather have two larger monitors and keep the laptop closed. It is a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 which does not have a USB-C connector that many docking stations use. Is there a decent docking station that uses USB3?

2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look for the Dell docking station that has that single cable connector, but it also has a "usb" adapter on it too. I have several of them in my office, but I don't use the 'usb' adapter, but it's there, so should work?

No experience with them.. Just know that they were on the ones I got, but that was a couple of years ago?

Another alternative is they have USB to VGA/DMI/HDMI monitor cable connector adapters too. As long as you have multiple USB sockets on the laptop, this is an alternative too.

Does your laptop have a built in HDMI plug on it along with the VGA one?

Good luck! Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a USB docking station that worked great on my non C laptop and desktop

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are various non USB-C ones out there, but my experience has been less than stellar. They do work, but not reliably. Be prepared for the occasional restart, etc.

In fact, Dell does offer a couple.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/21 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you just want to connect extra monitors to your laptop, get an external USB3 video adapter similar to this one on Amazon.com.

[image]

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/21 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

point is to use the exact same docking station, just move the plug from the laptop to the desktop

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/21 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

point is to use the exact same docking station, just move the plug from the laptop to the desktop

USB3-A docking station/port replicator with video..

HERE

[image]

I have used other Star Tech products, they seem to work well.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/21 05:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no company that I know of called Adapters-r-Us but... there are many that could use that name

I think these are USB 2 adapters

Amazon of course

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/21 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

There is no company that I know of called Adapters-r-Us but... there are many that could use that name

I think these are USB 2 adapters

Amazon of course

Those are simple "C" to "A" adapters for cables with USB-C connector and while they can be used, they are not capable of the enhancements of USB-C.

USB items tend to be "backwards compatible" up to a point. Devices built to take advantage of USB-C may not function as well or function at all as the OP has noticed with their USB-C docking station.

The OP has two possibilities if they wish to use their current USB-C port replicator on both PCs (and one PC doesn't have USB-C).

They either have to buy a USB3-A port replicator which will work on bot PCs or buy a add in USB-C port card (assuming a "desktop" PC that has an open slot).

Like THESE, however, those come with a new wrinkle, some special purpose features may still not be available through an add in card.

The OP is wanting to use a purpose built Port replicator for a Dell Laptop, that replicator may be depending on the PC BIOS and specific USB-C port hardware for that specific replicator to work 100% correctly.

USB3-C added in extra support for HD video which is not available on USB3-A or available on all USB3-C ports.

Read more HERE

This is highly confusing even for folks who are 100% up to speed on the latest hardware..

A generic USB3-A port replicator is the safest way to go and should take care of what the OP is wanting to do.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/21 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This I understand IF I were ordering I'd take the time to find a C to USB-3 as that's the best his laptop has. if I'm reading his post correctly. the Dock wants to plug into a "C" port. but the laptop only has 2 and 3 ports like the one this laptop replaced This onew has 3 and C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Laptop Docking station without USB-C?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.