Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Laptop Docking station without USB-C?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Laptop Docking station without USB-C?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/21 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my org, to get local admin rights requires a written justification which must be approved by the requestor's supervisor, and by a unit CTO. The last being the most difficult hurdle.

We don't issue higher domain admin rights if the requestor does not already work in IT.

In any case, having local admin rights which allows installing software not on a staff service portal, requires completing minimum security training hours every year to keep elevated privileges. That does not mean one can install any software. It needs to be on an approved list, or an exception must be granted which requires security review.

Everyone in my org must complete a one-hour computer security course every year to maintain their staff account. Pretty much standard in most enterprise environments. I purposely waited until April 1 as I wanted my certificate to reflect that date. [emoticon]

The whole purpose is to protect the integrity of the enterprise network. We're also required to report any network security compromises to US-CERT.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/21 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My employer sent out a fake phising email. It was very well done. I forwarded it to a special email address, and got a thank you, I passed the test [emoticon]

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/21 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We also send regular phishing emails to staff. It's generally the upper level management and directors who fall for them.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/21 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1492 wrote:

We also send regular phishing emails to staff. It's generally the upper level management and directors who fall for them.

Why doesn't that surprise me?

I receive 200-300 emails each and every day. It's all I can do to keep up anymore. My personal home email is out of control. While I enjoy doing forums, my personal email is one of the last things I want to look at when I get "off work". I get 13 "marketing" emails for everyone I need to pay attention to on my personal account. Work email, my boss, his boss, and some key co-workers are all I pay attention to anymore. I had a 5 minute phone conversation with somebody on Friday, and after we were done, I had 25 new emails... PEOPLE, IT'S FRIDAY AFTERNOON! What's worse, my bosses email is 10x worse than mine. While he tends to not ignore my emails, I will often send him an IM anytime something really critical needs his attention.

To give you an example, I was CC'd on a series of emails of a very expensive part (10k+) sitting on the receiving dock, no identification who it belonged to, didn't help the box listed and second set of part numbers, and the paperwork a third set of part numbers. Shipping department doesn't know anything, which is why we have specific instructions for suppliers to ship parts. They receive hundreds of packages every day. When the supervisor called me, asking for my help, I started paying attention. Finally, I got involved... and sent out more emails, LOL. One of the people I tagged owned the part, and came to retrieve it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Laptop Docking station without USB-C?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.