Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: One Great Big EV Thread
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> One Great Big EV Thread

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 31  
Next
dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/21 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've had a barrage of new threads for Electric Vehicles. Instead of so many smaller threads, I'm opening one mega thread for discussion here.

Frankly, I don't even see the tie in to RVs, but the topic is popular enough for someone to start a new thread every day.

So here you go. EVs. Discuss. Or scroll.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

One use is for providing power to the 120 volt side of an RV, from the BEV battery bank. There are a few units that already have a plug. I wonder if they can charge and draw at the same time a la "load support" inverter/chargers.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 07:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

One use is for providing power to the 120 volt side of an RV, from the BEV battery bank. There are a few units that already have a plug. I wonder if they can charge and draw at the same time a la "load support" inverter/chargers.

Like a big UPS. [emoticon].

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 10:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, what better to tow with? gas, diesel or electric? I can see it now! 1 more group of owners to fight about what`s best! I cant wait!!!!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 11:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GM getting serious?
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/busine........estment-called-slap-face-uaw/7402862002/

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/21 04:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does not relate to camping? IMHO, recreational camping is pretty much a middle class, and often upper middle class activity. And it depends on a decent environment to enjoy it. So just like politics, everything can relate to camping.
Most simple relationship I see is do your commuting and grocery getting in a EV, save the gas, and gas money for camping.
Semi related, is all the talk about how great it is to have solar power on their RV. Why not use solar the rest of time in your house?
Other threads discuss how to dry camp longer with the limited fresh water in tank. Anybody use the same ideas to save water in earth's much larger, but still limited fresh water tank?

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/21 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gritdog quote "LOL, this month alone, 5-1/2 pages of posts. About 95% of which are 100% EV related and a few random Covid and Canada....priceless."

Hey @Gritdog, asking for a friend: Is anyone forcing you to read the EV thread?

Or, anyone preventing you to redo the GM vs Ford pissing contest?

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/21 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does EV relate to camping?

Of course it is! I ordered the Cybertruck for my trailer puller -- which if I may add I bought at Camping World complete with Good Sam membership and Good Sam insurance.

Am I a loyal customer or what? And If they'll service or Tesla dealer, I'll get it from them too and the servicing, lol,

* This post was edited 04/30/21 08:57am by Yosemite Sam1 *

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/21 08:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Typically how many amp hrs does an EV battery store? Is it practical to charge these batteries via solar? If so how big of a solar system would be required.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/21 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

Typically how many amp hrs does an EV battery store? Is it practical to charge these batteries via solar? If so how big of a solar system would be required.

Typically EV car batteries range from 40 KWH to 100 KWH depending on manufacturer or model. Current EV SUV's that people use to tow RV's like small tear drop trailers, pop up trailers or boats have batteries that range from 80 KWH to 100 KWH. The EV trucks that will be coming out this year all seem to be between 140 and 200 KWH but manufacturers have been reluctant to release exact specs.

Re solar. Sure...sort of. A typical 30 to 50 kilometer commute in a car uses about 6 to 8 kwh of power. So in that case solar is quite effective for charging even with a small dedicated garage system. Minimal storage is needed if you can charge during the day...but it gets trickier for those charging at night unless you are grid connected etc.

Below is a picture of off grid solar EV chargers that, depending on weather, can charge 2 or 3 cars per day for a typical commute. It has built in storage as well. They are built in San Diego. It interesting that Rivian who will be producing the Rivian 1/2 ton later this year is going to be deploying these to popular trail heads and off grid camping areas. Their target market is the small trailer, tenter, camper, hiker fisher, kayaker crowd. Neat idea. No permitting or infrastructure needed. 10 minute set up.

Cheers

[image]

[image]

[image]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 31  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> One Great Big EV Thread
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.