Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: One Great Big EV Thread
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> One Great Big EV Thread

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 31  
Prev  |  Next
wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/21 02:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reis, I have never looked inside a Tesla product, your jpg shows the large screen. Do you receive ad's, promotional material, and worthless junk through that screen?
Just curious, and how much will you accept before you want to turn it off? And can you?

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/21 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Reis, I have never looked inside a Tesla product, your jpg shows the large screen. Do you receive ad's, promotional material, and worthless junk through that screen?
Just curious, and how much will you accept before you want to turn it off? And can you?

No. Not at all. If you are in park you can watch Netflix or YouTube or whatever and then you will get commercials. Other than that, as you can tell, there are almost no buttons. There are a couple on the steering wheel and a couple of steering wheel stocks. Everything else is done thru the screen. And having said that, pretty much every function is voice activated. If you want the wipers on tell it. If you want the glove compartment open tell it. If you are cold tell it. If you are hot tell it. If you want to go somewhere tell it. If it’s too far away it will tell you and route you thru a supercharger. And you will know how many stalls are available, how much range you will have left when you arrive, what services or restaurants are there and how long you will be there. If you have the FSD option it will take all the necessary exits and interchanges for you...lane changes etc. All you have to do is pay attention, rest your hand on the steering wheel and supervise the car. The screen is very important to the operation of the car, but if it crashes the car continues to drive per normal until the reboot is complete. If you pass out or fall asleep while on autopilot the car will sense your hand not on the wheel, gently pull over and turn on the hazards. If operated properly it actually works pretty slick.

On edit, neither Tesla that tows ( model X or model Y ) allows autopilot while towing. So if one is expecting to tow a little trailer don’t expect to be able to use those features. The car knows when it is towing and disables those features.

Hope that helps.

* This post was last edited 05/03/21 12:36pm by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/21 08:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Durb wrote:

I have no problems with an electric vehicle if it fit my needs. I have a few issues though.

First, is the obsession with electronics and computer type controls replete with downloads and upgrades. My phones, computers, and everything else with a screen and software are always being obsolesced. Will we be crushing electric vehicles when their software is no longer supported?

Second, is the destruction of America's view sheds with wind turbines. There is value in open vistas. Already, the east end of the Columbia River Gorge has suffered from wind turbine blight.

I read a novel where the state claimed ownership of the sky shed and taxed businesses and people for solar appropriation. I can see that happening in the future.

Good morning. Some EV manufacturers do over the air updates and as much as once per month. Other manufacturers never. The updates are seamless though, require little or no action on the drivers part and usually come with improvements and new features. Our car has changed quite a bit since we got it. Even the range is longer.

One can opt to simply turn updates off though.

Hope that helps.

Do you not believe that once enough people can be held captive by the usage, manufacturers wont start a process of forced obsolescense? Apple tried and was caught with their I phones, Microslop has done it with their windows versions for years.

When Musk needs more money than the Government will just give him, he will follow the same pattern.
Supposed improvements in their "updates" will speed battery degradation, software updates for safety fixes will contain other things to speed vehicle replacements. Data on everywhere you go will be sold to deluge operators with advertising and marketing garbage.

Musk dont care about money he doesnt even own a house.
And besides Tesla his Space X makes enough.
Then there are solar roofs,
And huge battery storage systems,man lives for work,making the world better place.

If you use Google your data and all info about you is already being sold and resold anyway.

My nephew has 30 year old Micrososft windows pc and it still runs like a dream,go figure.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/21 08:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since we have no car shows here lets visit
Shangai auto show

https://youtu.be/yOvrzX5OnDk

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/21 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When Musk needs more money than the Government will just give him, he will follow the same pattern.
Supposed improvements in their "updates" will speed battery degradation, software updates for safety fixes will contain other things to speed vehicle replacements.

Where are you getting these stuff?

It doesn't even make sense. Why would Elon even come up with 1 million-mile battery when he could have designed it to be replaced every 3 to 5 years.

Planned obsolescence is passe. Consumers simply move to the better and most advanced technological innovations.

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 09:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cuz Sam, it happened with Apple, remember?

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/18/936268845........e-batterygate-case-over-iphone-slowdowns

Apple on Wednesday agreed to pay $113 million to settle consumer fraud lawsuits brought by more than 30 states over allegations that it secretly slowed down old iPhones, a controversy that became known as "batterygate."

Apple first denied that it purposely slowed down iPhone batteries, then said it did so to preserve battery life amid widespread reports of iPhones unexpectedly turning off. The company maintained that it wasn't necessary for iPhone users to replace their sluggish phones, but state attorneys general led by Arizona found people saw no other choice.

History has a way of repeating itself. Imagine if there is a shortage of Lithium, thus preventing consumers from replacing EV battery packs as scheduled, after 10 years of use....

(Formerly known as SPRey)
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! wrote:

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/18/936268845........e-batterygate-case-over-iphone-slowdowns

Apple on Wednesday agreed to pay $113 million to settle consumer fraud lawsuits brought by more than 30 states over allegations that it secretly slowed down old iPhones, a controversy that became known as "batterygate."

Apple first denied that it purposely slowed down iPhone batteries, then said it did so to preserve battery life amid widespread reports of iPhones unexpectedly turning off. The company maintained that it wasn't necessary for iPhone users to replace their sluggish phones, but state attorneys general led by Arizona found people saw no other choice.

History has a way of repeating itself. Imagine if there is a shortage of Lithium, thus preventing consumers from replacing EV battery packs as scheduled, after 10 years of use....

Which EV manufacturers have a schedule that says EV batteries need to be replaced after 10 years of use? I have never heard of this.

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Timmo! wrote:

Which EV manufacturers have a schedule that says EV batteries need to be replaced after 10 years of use? I have never heard of this.

First, Lithium batteries DO NOT last forever. Things that affect battery health include time, high temperatures, operating at a high or low state of charge, high electric current, and usage.

And you've heard of Tesla million mile battery, well it only has a lifespan of only 16 years....

https://www.inputmag.com/tech/a-tesla-su........ade-an-ev-battery-that-can-last-16-years

Tesla battery supplier CATL says it is ready to produce an electric car battery with a lifespan of 16 years or 1.2 million miles.

Now for what others say:

https://www.nrel.gov/transportation/battery-lifespan.html
Battery Lifespan

To compete with conventional vehicles, electric-drive vehicles (EDVs) and their batteries must perform reliably for 10 to 15 years in a variety of climates and duty cycles.

https://earth911.com/eco-tech/your-ev-battery-its-life-and-afterlife/

Most EV batteries have an approximate lifespan of seven to 10 years and are warrantied for at least eight years and 100,000 miles. So, if you keep your EV long enough, you will eventually need to replace the battery.

https://easyelectriclife.groupe.renault.........the-lifespan-of-an-electric-car-battery/

As a pioneer of electromobility, Groupe Renault estimates that the lifespan of its batteries – for automotive use – is around ten years.

https://www.edfenergy.com/electric-cars/batteries

Most manufacturers have a five to eight-year warranty on their battery. However, the current prediction is that an electric car battery will last from 10 – 20 years before they need to be replaced.

https://www.myev.com/research/ev-101/how........ong-should-an-electric-cars-battery-last

The bottom line here is that if it’s properly cared for, an electric car’s battery pack should last for well in excess of 100,000 miles before its range becomes restricted. Consumer Reports estimates the average EV battery pack’s lifespan to be at around 200,000 miles, which is nearly 17 years of use if driven 12,000 miles per year.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 01:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo!,

The battery pack is considered 'done' when it has only 80% of the oem capacity. So if the range were 400 miles, then it would still travel 320 miles. The longest trip I am likely to take is 190 miles. I guess a BEV would be a good choice for me.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/21 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditto to @platuna - that's why I am not complaining. Cybertruck's range and re-charging turn around fits my RVing style.. My wish list though is that every national, state, county and city parks campgrounds will have charging stations.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 31  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> One Great Big EV Thread
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.