Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: One Great Big EV Thread
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> One Great Big EV Thread

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 31  
Prev  |  Next
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/21 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@Reisedner - I wonder the dimensions. The panel looks like something that fit a roof of an RV -- a possible range extender for the Cybertruck or a quick new charging facility for campgrounds.

Campgrounds appear to the getting into EV charging. A campground, a county park, we went camping last weekend has an EV charging.

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/21 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$30,000 for each charger.

(Formerly known as SPRey)
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/21 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! wrote:

That willl still make my Cybertruck cheaper than a Rivian, lol.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/21 09:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! wrote:

30,000 would probably be the average cost of a DCFC charger. Sounds about right. But campgrounds would suffice with an L2 charger like the hotels install. Typically 2 or 3 grand should cover it, plus install. Although every EV comes with one that just plugs into the 50 amp pedestal.

* This post was edited 04/30/21 09:53am by Reisender *

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/21 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

@Reisedner - I wonder the dimensions. The panel looks like something that fit a roof of an RV -- a possible range extender for the Cybertruck or a quick new charging facility for campgrounds.

Campgrounds appear to the getting into EV charging. A campground, a county park, we went camping last weekend has an EV charging.

Maybe. Elon mentioned something about that for the box cover of the Cybertruck. Can’t remember what though. Personally I don’t think it would be useful for anything other than a few KWh a day, which is like 15 or 20 kilometres. Really I have no idea.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/21 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Gjac wrote:

Typically how many amp hrs does an EV battery store? Is it practical to charge these batteries via solar? If so how big of a solar system would be required.

Typically EV car batteries range from 40 KWH to 100 KWH depending on manufacturer or model. Current EV SUV's that people use to tow RV's like small tear drop trailers, pop up trailers or boats have batteries that range from 80 KWH to 100 KWH. The EV trucks that will be coming out this year all seem to be between 140 and 200 KWH but manufacturers have been reluctant to release exact specs.

Re solar. Sure...sort of. A typical 30 to 50 kilometer commute in a car uses about 6 to 8 kwh of power. So in that case solar is quite effective for charging even with a small dedicated garage system. Minimal storage is needed if you can charge during the day...but it gets trickier for those charging at night unless you are grid connected etc.

Below is a picture of off grid solar EV chargers that, depending on weather, can charge 2 or 3 cars per day for a typical commute. It has built in storage as well. They are built in San Diego. It interesting that Rivian who will be producing the Rivian 1/2 ton later this year is going to be deploying these to popular trail heads and off grid camping areas. Their target market is the small trailer, tenter, camper, hiker fisher, kayaker crowd. Neat idea. No permitting or infrastructure needed. 10 minute set up.

Cheers

[image]

[image]

[image]
Do you know how many watts those solar chargers are? They look like what you describe as a "small dedicated garage system." As Sam mentioned maybe about the size on a class A. How many watts would a Class A roof hold?

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/21 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.protectthackerpass.org/info-2/

Tesla 70kWh car battery requires about 63kg / 138 pounds of lithium carbonate (Li2CO3).

Lithium is present in Earth's crust at 2000-9000 ppm (0.2-0.9%)

Producing one ton of lithium will require strip mining and processing between ~110 and 500 tons of Earth.

Tesla would like to produce 20 million cars per year by 2030.

20 million * 138 pounds = 2,760,000,000 (2.7 billion pounds) = 1,380,000 tons of lithium carbonate per year to produce 20 million cars a year.

Between 152 and 690 MILLION tons of Earth must be strip mined and processed to produce 1.38 MIlLION tons of lithium carbonate for 20 million cars.

The Thacker Pass mine will produce 60,000 tons per year of battery-grade lithium carbonate over the life of the mine.

Carbon emissions from the site would more than 150,000 tons per year (during Phase 2), roughly 2.3 tons of carbon for every ton of lithium that will be produced.

That means 23 Thacker Pass mines would be needed to produce enough lithium carbonate for 20 million Teslas per year.

Of course that doesn’t include the mines needed for the other materials in a battery, including cobalt and nickel.

Thacker Pass mine would last at least 41 years, possibly longer. Even if reclamation were completely successful (unlikely), restoration of the site to its current condition — dominated by old-growth sagebrush — would not be complete until at least 2162.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/21 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

How many watts would a Class A roof hold?

If I recall correctly, somebody here who did it said it's 6 panels of 100 each.

This is just a wish list or a dream as I know this will be the last of the busy Tesla's priority. I wish them doing a solar roof on RV as they would do (I not updated if they are still doing this) to buyers of Tesla car packaged with a solar roof.

Preference for Tesla is because they are ahead in solar panel tech (density) and lithium battery packs.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/21 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Gjac wrote:

How many watts would a Class A roof hold?

If I recall correctly, somebody here who did it said it's 6 panels of 100 each.

I have seven 100w panels on my toy hauler roof with room for plenty more. I quit at 700w because it seemed like enough for my needs and I didn't want to spend any more than that.

There's definitely room for 10-12 panels up there though.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/21 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"restoration of the site to its current condition — dominated by old-growth sagebrush — would not be complete until at least 2162."

How much old growth sagebrush does the USA need?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 31  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> One Great Big EV Thread
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.