cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best stabilization upgrade(s)?

TFin04
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 31ft TT and when fully set up, still get some trailer rocking when someone is walking through the trailer.

I know we won't ever make it 100% solid, but I'm wondering what you found the best stabilization upgrades to be.

We have manual stabilization jacks and I know they sell larger versions.

I've also seen that a simple "X Chock" between the two tires can make a big difference.

I'm just wondering if you guys have used one or both of these, and which you think is the best value for performance.

Thanks!
29 REPLIES 29

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
I use the sledge hammer method. Take two tire chalks (I know its chocks), drive them under the tires with a small sledge, problem solved. I tried those X things between the tires, but I kept forgetting about them when hooking up and heading out so ruined a couple. You can have them. A little trailer shake is part of the pleasures of trailer camping.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
duplicate

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I cannot remember the brand but I had a cheaper version of the JT Strongarms on2 of my trailers. I actually would put 2 on each stabilizer (90 degrees to each other) and they worked great. They were BAL 23216. I just looked them up.

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Some block or wood for under the jacks. The less you have to lower the jacks to the ground, the less movement you will feel. Also, make sure your tires are chocked good! Back on the back chock and hammer the front one under the tire. Several hours after the tires have cooled off, hit them again with the hammer to snug them up.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
One that kind of surprised me was when people installed suspension upgrades and in particular Sumo Springs. People put them on for one reason but often mention they improve the kinds of things you are noting.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
TFin04 wrote:
We have a 31ft TT and when fully set up, still get some trailer rocking when someone is walking through the trailer.

I know we won't ever make it 100% solid, but I'm wondering what you found the best stabilization upgrades to be.

We have manual stabilization jacks and I know they sell larger versions.

I've also seen that a simple "X Chock" between the two tires can make a big difference.

I'm just wondering if you guys have used one or both of these, and which you think is the best value for performance.

Thanks!

JT Strongarms are the best stabilization upgrade I've done. because of this I no longer use a kingpin tripod.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
The JT strong arms work..... BUT, if you have the electric jacks where both legs come down with one switch and adjust to uneven ground automatically.... One should think it over.
That style of jack has a huge advantage in that it keeps even pressure on both legs. Even when settling into the ground. This makes it impossible to rack the frame causing the doors to stick etc.
Using JT strongarms with these jacks interferes with the equal pressure feature. So using them together on a surface which will allow settling could be a bad thing. Using them on a solid surface slab would work fine.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
The factory installed stabilizer jacks are simply in the wrong locations. I had four of the aluminum stack jacks that I kept from my last trailer and with some experimenting I found that if I put them about 6' in front and in back of the axles I didn't even need the factory ones which I removed and don't even have them on my trailer anymore. Now if you have a long trailer say 30' and have a major living area at the rear you might need something at that end, but all I have is a bedroom that is only used to sleep in so there is almost no walking around in the last 8' or so of my trailer.

I had used these jacks on my previous 26' TT for over 25 years for a rock solid setup so I just felt their use had to help the poor stabilization with what came on our new trailer. As far as the forward/back movement I've never had that since I make sure my little cheapo wheel chocks and well planted against both sides of the wheels on both sides of the trailer (4 chocks total).

IMHO the secret to stabilizing a trailer is the proper support locations and getting a good pressure on the jacks ... not lifting the trailer, but doing a similar procedure that even things like the Strong Arm site recommends with their product. I found the only way to do this was to use the tongue jack.

Larry
m

A long premium TT like mine came with (4) double stabilizers. Each end, and near the tandems. (8) points of contact. That, plus a set of inter-tire set wheel chocks. Tires and springs (body) have to be treated separately.

Shock absorber kit if you don’t have it, plus axle crossmembers (MOR/ryde) to keep leaf bushings unstressed. This trailer came with all of this.

The JT Strong-arm (Lippert) might be worthwhile. The aluminum A-frame jacks are great for long-term parking.
2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35’ Silver Streak

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
The factory installed stabilizer jacks are simply in the wrong locations. I had four of the aluminum stack jacks that I kept from my last trailer and with some experimenting I found that if I put them about 6' in front and in back of the axles I didn't even need the factory ones which I removed and don't even have them on my trailer anymore. Now if you have a long trailer say 30' and have a major living area at the rear you might need something at that end, but all I have is a bedroom that is only used to sleep in so there is almost no walking around in the last 8' or so of my trailer.

I had used these jacks on my previous 26' TT for over 25 years for a rock solid setup so I just felt their use had to help the poor stabilization with what came on our new trailer. As far as the forward/back movement I've never had that since I make sure my little cheapo wheel chocks and well planted against both sides of the wheels on both sides of the trailer (4 chocks total).

IMHO the secret to stabilizing a trailer is the proper support locations and getting a good pressure on the jacks ... not lifting the trailer, but doing a similar procedure that even things like the Strong Arm site recommends with their product. I found the only way to do this was to use the tongue jack.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I still think that it’s a bad idea, unless you have a really stout frame. The vast majority of trailers do not.
The BAL brochure basically says to use their scissor jack as a stabilizer, and not as a jack to prevent frame damage.
So, how much weight can be taken off the suspension? I don’t know and I’m not going to try and find out.
In my opinion, it’s a much better idea to add a stabilizer in the middle.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I dont have a long TT, but i do find that chocking both side of the rig helps a ton. You allready bought 2 new chocks, try using all 4.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

The idea is to stop downward movement, not suspend in mid air.

Anyone saying trailer should be suspended in mid air?

Umm, YOU did.

And I quote from the first page of this thread..

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

To prevent bouncing motion, you have to put enough tension buy raising the trailer on the jacks to the point that it is not resting totally on the tires.

Perhaps you just worded it a bit incorrectly but it sure sounds a lot like one is to lift the trailer using the jacks to the point of mid air.

"Not resting totally" can be easily interpreted as another way of saying taking all of the weight off the tires which means tires almost or not touching the ground.

Better way of saying this is using only enough jack pressure to stop the downward movement..

You want to leave weight on the axles, all you want to do is to take out the downward movement of the springs and flex of the tires so the frame can no longer drop or sag when walking about in the trailer.

Huge difference between the two ways of saying it.

Geez, ok then. And thank you for Engllish lessons.

Just don't let my college English professors know.. I might have to surrender my A+ grades to them, lol.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

Umm, YOU did.

And I quote from the first page of this thread..

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

To prevent bouncing motion, you have to put enough tension buy raising the trailer on the jacks to the point that it is not resting totally on the tires.

Perhaps you just worded it a bit incorrectly but it sure sounds a lot like one is to lift the trailer using the jacks to the point of mid air.

"Not resting totally" can be easily interpreted as another way of saying taking all of the weight off the tires which means tires almost or not touching the ground.

Better way of saying this is using only enough jack pressure to stop the downward movement..

You want to leave weight on the axles, all you want to do is to take out the downward movement of the springs and flex of the tires so the frame can no longer drop or sag when walking about in the trailer.

Huge difference between the two ways of saying it.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote: