cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onboard Tongue weight

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting article from Truck Camper Magazine on the new F-150s that will have built in weight sensors. You can get an accurate payload number from the infotainment screen, your smartphone app, or from the tail lights. The tail lights have 4 "bars" that light up like a battery gauge that tell you from the outside when you are loading the truck when it has reached 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% of rated payload. Once you exceed payload, the tail lights blink.

The truck will also give you real time readouts on trailer tongue weight also.

TC magazine opines that this function will be added to SuperDutys next year and that other mfrs will follow suit.

I wonder if there will be a way to override the blinking tail lights when running overloaded? It's not a stretch to picture this tied into the PCM so that the truck won't start if it's overloaded, or maybe is limited to 5mph "limp" mode when loaded over the GVWR.
15 REPLIES 15

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder how much warranty work will be denied because your trucks computer says you were over weight X amounts of time.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
blt2ski wrote:
Back in 2000 at a HS reunion, a friend of mine that was driving long haul, was going thru the Utah salt flats. Decided to see how fast his Kenworth could go. 110mph. 5 miles in neutral to slow back down to 60.
5-6 months later getting an oil change and service. Service tech came up to him scratching his head, truck computer says it hit 110 mph awhile back?!?!?

Marty

"Pigpen this here's the rubber duck and Imma bout to put the hammer down...."
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Glad my truck didn't have that "feature" yesterday. It would have been squealing like a pig!

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
BenK wrote:
Posted this on another thread about this...wonder how they designed in high hysteresis and high enough set points to manage dynamic & shock loads.

I can't imagine that the system would be active once the truck is put in gear.

It's not like you're going to run down the road with 1-2-3-4-flashing tail lights.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear your friend passed, BenK.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Limp mode has several possible levels and can only guess what each OEM did, can do, etc.

Since today’s vehicles are highly integrated and computers & sensors the basis…along with software provides a huge matrix of of things it can do

Shift points (anyone know if today’s auto tranny’s can have ATF PSI adjusted?), fueling, RPM, etc, etc are all now controlled by computer. The driver no longer has any direct connection…all “Fly by wire”…

Burbman…that rental has all the metrics to have the OS refuse to move, or go into any level of limp mode.

Neighbor has a similar Lance that stuck out back a few feet, but no slides that he used to tow with a RAM 2500HD CTD Crew. Used to…’cuz he passed a few months ago from a heart attack.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

blt2ski
Back in 2000 at a HS reunion, a friend of mine that was driving long haul, was going thru the Utah salt flats. Decided to see how fast his Kenworth could go. 110mph. 5 miles in neutral to slow back down to 60.
5-6 months later getting an oil change and service. Service tech came up to him scratching his head, truck computer says it hit 110 mph awhile back?!?!?
Anyway, none of us are non findable these days. Cell phones, pcm in vehicles, etc, all seem to have some sort of memory or locating device that can find that thing! Any of you had your auto locking car unlocked by emergency service?
And people don't want covid shot because they think a tracking device will be included.....

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
BenK wrote:
...wonder how they designed in high hysteresis and high enough set points to manage dynamic & shock loads.

Probably only reads with shifter in Park to avoid having to manage those issues. The rental truck shown here had a VERY loud buzzer that sounded to notify the driver the truck was overloaded...but it went off as soon as you shifted into Drive. Agree that at a minimum data will be tracked for warranty issues and possibly some sort of speed control for safety. Limp mode might be extreme.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
p220 is right on point. "...more likely is it storing the info in the PCM and then if you come in for warranty work on the transmission, rear end, suspension, etc., them pulling the info and denying warranty..."
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
There is no policing on these freebie forums...just opinions and those with a cautionary point...labeled with the derogatory "weight police"

Can see both benefits of not having to go to a weigh station and a recording for warranty purposes for the OEM

Agree, killing the engine would be unsafe...but going into the various limp modes a very real option for the OEM's to take

Posted this on another thread about this...wonder how they designed in high hysteresis and high enough set points to manage dynamic & shock loads.

Betcha tons of interactive communications with the other computer's and sensors...AKA "highly integrated"...which IMHO, becomes a nightmare to fix
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Once you exceed payload, the tail lights blink.

A literal wet dream for the weight police.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
TurnThePage wrote:
They don't stop you from driving without a seatbelt.

No, but the bell dings louder and louder until you give in...one mfr (I forget which one) disables the radio if you don't fasten your seatbelt.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
How many sections of the forum are you going to post the same "news" in (after it's already been posted by someone else to boot)?

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think they would ever go with something that prevents the vehicle from running. But what I could see as more likely is it storing the info in the PCM and then if you come in for warranty work on the transmission, rear end, suspension, etc., them pulling the info and denying warranty because you were "abusing" the vehicle by driving outside of the design parameters.