cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rockford Il to Rochester, Mn

Shomemule
Explorer
Explorer
Staying in Rockford,Il then on up to Rochester, MN. Looking at an alternative to I-90 during a cross country trip and wonder if someone could tell me how it would be to go 20, 18 and 52 instead. I'd be pulling a 29' travel trailer. Is the road good and would there be fuel available? Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
That stretch of I90 is not bad. It skirts the hilly SW corner of Wisconsin, and passes close to the touristy Wisconsin Dells and Devils Lake. Also the Mississippi river crossing is scenic. There is a good grade out of the river valley on the Minnesota side.

Non-interstate routes across that corner of Wisconsin (and NW Illinois) will hillier. Also the Iowa side of the river. But with hills comes views. There are couple of towns with lead mining history (Galena Il).

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
When I lived in that part of the country (just after the Civil War, I think!) all the roads, State, County, and Fed, were well maintained and with good surfaces. Since there is no interstate in that area, I expect they are still in good repair, as locals have to get about. Galena, Prairie du Chien, Platteville, Dubuque, Decorah -- all still thriving.

Lots of small towns, too -- but who's in a hurry? No fuel shortages either -- see paragraph 1 above.

And, you can get cheese curds.