Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Typical cost per mile to transport 5th Wheel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Typical cost per mile to transport 5th Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/21 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

SweetLou wrote:

If there are truly gas/diesel shortages coming d/t lack of tanker truck drivers, expect a lot

Where did that come from? There is a lack of long haul drivers,due to mostly to the new electronic logs and duty hours. Petroleum haulers are normally pretty local established companies with that would have a pretty stable workforce.
I don't believe I have ever seen a tanker with a sleeper, nothing but day cabs. If you are operating a day cab, hours of service and e-logs are not as much as a problem.

It was a CNN news report. Of course it is CNN

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/21 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horizon transport moved our 10000# firewood processor from Kentucky to SD, 1250 mi., 5 years ago for $1400. A buck a mile plus up front hook up fee.
for a short move. I would expect about the same for the fee plus mileage.

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/21 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

I think the standard rate for my 'business miles' that I can claim against my company if I drive my vehicle on/for company business is 56 cents/mile or something like that? (basically 10 miles = $5.60)

I have no idea how that computes into a hauling service, but it's a start I guess??

Good luck, Mitch

That has nothing to do with transportation rates. That is simply the flat rate the IRS uses for reimbursement on business travel. You can always use actual costs on your taxes if your costs per mile are more than the standard rate.

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/21 02:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

SweetLou wrote:

If there are truly gas/diesel shortages coming d/t lack of tanker truck drivers, expect a lot

Where did that come from? There is a lack of long haul drivers,due to mostly to the new electronic logs and duty hours. Petroleum haulers are normally pretty local established companies with that would have a pretty stable workforce.
I don't believe I have ever seen a tanker with a sleeper, nothing but day cabs. If you are operating a day cab, hours of service and e-logs are not as much as a problem.

It comes from facts, There was a huge CDL driver shortage which started after the 08 recession then accelerated, Covid compounded it immensely. How many kids in Jr High have you asked lately what they wanted to do in lige and they answered "I want to be a truck driver"? Local or over the road does not matter. I know of ready mix concrete companies and block suppliers that have waiting scheduling lists for deliveries that are out 3 or 4 weeks in MD and VA due to lack of drivers, and they're signed with the Teamsters. That's about as local as you can get.

Yesterday I noticed a sign at a local mom and pop store. "Deli closed today due to lack of staff, please contact your legislators and tell them how government policies are killing small businesses". The trucking Industry is in the same boat.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/21 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

pitch wrote:

SweetLou wrote:

It was a CNN news report. Of course it is CNN

Also reported by Fox News.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/21 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't get too excited, most long distance transport of liquid hydrocarbons is by ship, barge or pipeline. Trucking is too expensive, how do you think we sell it cheaper than bottled water, but ship it from Saudi Arabia or west Texas? The trucks are the infamous last mile. But, if they are right, maybe I will un-retire and drive truck.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roughly Minneapolis to an hour+ north of Elkhart. Maybe an opportunity for a RV hauler on their way back to Elkhart to pick up their next load.

How might I connect with one of the carriers?

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/21 10:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

How might I connect with one of the carriers?

Call them.

Horizon Transport and Foremost Transport are two big ones I know about that operate out of Elkhart (and other areas too)

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Typical cost per mile to transport 5th Wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.