cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Long term camping questions

Skipg
Explorer
Explorer
We will be spending 3 1/2 months on the Oregon coast I have two questions first if the travel trailer is parked on gravel do we have to put something underneath the tires second we have one slide out on our travel trailer the mechanism looks pretty strong do we need slide out stabilizers.

Thanks
19 REPLIES 19

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
I would rather you put covers over the rubber tires to protect from UV rays than put something under them.
3-4 months is not a long time for tires parked. For long periods you could just put up on blocks or jackstands if worried. Modern tires do not get flat spots as easily as the old-days-tires.

I have let a trailer sit for a few years, then pull it across country with no tire issues.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
ORbiker wrote:
Skipg wrote:
Florence Oregon on the central coast

Don't miss all the many lighthouses.

That looks like the Coquille River lighthouse at Bullards Beach State Park

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
No and No. Waste of money.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Somehow I've missed Chubby's but will be there in July...

Will be basking on fresh crab at Kellys CG in Brighton Beach but love great burgers... Thanks
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
In reverse order
I once saw a trailer where the owner had used Slide out stablizers and somethign happened....suffice to say I do NOT under any circumstances recommend them.

Second "Something under the tires"

For the first couple winters I parked my Class A on crushed rock, nothing but crushed rock under the tires.
I did (the 2nd winter) put wood blocks 12x12 2" thick (well 1 1/2) under the jacks. Then when it came time to leave (Mid winter) I raised jacks, drove off and triesd to move the frozen to the ground blocks. no joy
So I broke out the 8 pound hammer and tapped them gently
Joy
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another thought; Weeds will grow thru gravel, more when there is no traffic moving. At home I park with tires on rubber mudflaps. This means no need to get string close to tire.

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
Skipg wrote:
We will be spending 3 1/2 months on the Oregon coast I have two questions first if the travel trailer is parked on gravel do we have to put something underneath the tires second we have one slide out on our travel trailer the mechanism looks pretty strong do we need slide out stabilizers.

Thanks

I would say no and no as a full timer.
I addition Florence has an original A&W Drive in! In addition if you like great burgers, drive north to Waldport to Chubby's Food Cart. It is located on the east side of 101 just before the only stop light in town.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
Nothing under the tires, and no slide support.

2g_s
Explorer
Explorer
We volunteered at Heceta Head lighthouse. Awesome opportunity!

No, you don't need anything under the tires unless the site is uneven.

Regarding a support under the slide... do what you normally do. If you've always used one then use it. If not, then don't. Slides shouldn't have to have supports if made correctly.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Oregon coast is our favorite area. Astoria is our favorite town - Maritime Museum, trolly, Bow Picker, Ft Stevens, Lewis and Clark history and more. But from there to Brookings, the Oregon coast has a lot to offer.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
No slide out support. Plastic or wood under tires.

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Skipg wrote:

Florence is a nice town. It's just a bit over an hour from our house. It's a nice little town. The museum is interesting for the local history.
Just south in Dune City you can rent or ride on the dunes.

I have lived in Western Oregon my whole life. We are getting ready to retire and travel the USA full-time. We will probably still come back to Oregon for the winter. We don't like the hot and or dryness of the normal wintering states.
Ask away; of you have any questions about the coast. KEN

Don't miss all the many lighthouses.

Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

Skipg
Explorer
Explorer

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Skipg wrote:

Thanks

Are you going to only be at on spot the whole time?
North or South Coast?

You will need warm clothes and light jackets. KEN
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.