Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Charge wizard with Lithium upgrade to Converter charger?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Charge wizard with Lithium upgrade to Converter charger?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
FWC

The Wilderness

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SFVdave wrote:

That's my concern too about 14.6v continuously. With the original converter, I could charge the engine battery while at home and use the the bussman resetable fuse next to the engine battery to isolate it while driving and camping. then rest it while at home.

There is no lithium battery that wants 14.6V constant all the time. Over the long term this will likely impact battery life.

I wonder if you contacted Progressive Dynamics if they would either switch it out for their supposed new version which drops the voltage, or better yet, refund your money and you can buy a real configurable charger. It is totally irresponsible for them to be selling this thing as 'lithium specific' converter.

SFVdave

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/21 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going to call Battleborn tomorrow. They told me last week that they specifically adjust the voltage down to 14.3v . This is 14.6v.

* This post was edited 05/02/21 01:02pm by SFVdave *

FWC

The Wilderness

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even if the voltage is adjusted down to 14.3V, that is still WAY too high for floating the battery. The whole premise behind the converter is wrong.

hpdrver

Mansfield, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a progressive 3 stage charger and plug in the progressive charge pendant you can charge lithium batteries. By pressing the charge pendant, the charger will go into boost mode 14.6 volts and after 4 hours return to a safe 13.6 float charge. Progressive recommended this to me instead of replacing the charger with the lithium charger.

Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/21 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hpdrver wrote:

Progressive recommended this to me instead of replacing the charger with the lithium charger.
Must have figured out they made quite an error on this.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

SFVdave

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/21 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hpdrver wrote:

If you have a progressive 3 stage charger and plug in the progressive charge pendant you can charge lithium batteries. By pressing the charge pendant, the charger will go into boost mode 14.6 volts and after 4 hours return to a safe 13.6 float charge. Progressive recommended this to me instead of replacing the charger with the lithium charger.

That's is what I have been doing. Not happy about a constant 14.6v and possibly frying my appliances. Also have a 200 watt Renogy inverter attached to the batteries. Not sure how it likes that voltage either.

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/21 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hpdrver wrote:

I believe most (if not all) 3-stage Progressive Dynamic conventional type converters/chargers made by Progressive Dynamic bulk charge at 14.4v, not 14.6v.

Some of the 3-stage PD converters are conventional/Lithium switchable. You can choose conventional charging at 13.2v/13.6v/14.4v or 14.6v lithium single-stage charging, but not both at the same time (if it did have this capability it would make it a true 4-stage converter/charger).

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/21 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SFVdave wrote:

hpdrver wrote:

That's is what I have been doing. Not happy about a constant 14.6v and possibly frying my appliances. Also have a 200 watt Renogy inverter attached to the batteries. Not sure how it likes that voltage either.
I believe hpdrver has a conventional PD 3-stage converter (13.2v/13.6v/14.4v; each selectable using the Charge Wizard). If he has the PD converter that switches between conventional 3-stage and single-stage 14.6v lithium, it will not drop to 13.6v in the lithium mode. He must select conventional than use the Charge Wizard to select 13.6v.

Have you had a chance to verify the voltage output of your PD4560Licsv when you switch modes with the Charge Wizard?

Don't believe Renogy currently makes a 200w inverter. Did you mean 2000w? Most Renogy inverters have at least a 15.0v input rating. Some are rated as high as 16.0v.

SFVdave

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/21 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should be 2000 watt inverter from Renogy.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/21 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The PD Lithium specific model is extremely flawed...Why??... Because it continues to charge the battery long after the battery is fully charged (eventually shortening battery life) and cannot be shut off without entirely disabling the 12v converter only function.....This is why their regular model is better, while it’ll deliver the necessary 14.4v when using the Charge Wizard set to Boost, and the 13.6v Absorption will be of no consequence...However, Equalization mode will need to be defeated....

3 tons

* This post was edited 05/03/21 10:05am by 3 tons *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Charge wizard with Lithium upgrade to Converter charger?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.