Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Disc brakes temperatures
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Disc brakes temperatures

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 01:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is average, what is good, what is bad
I bought a temp gun, to check tire temps and realized it could also be used to check wheels bearings and brake parts

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't say what temps to expect but unlike drum shoes, the disc pads rub all the time not just when brakes are applied.

Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/21 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never seen those numbers. Average your temps for a couple of weeks? “Shoot” other RVers’ wheel temps?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think you are going to have a hard time. Brake pad are made from different material and each will have they own temp readout. Disc will be one temp, and drums will be another. You might find the info from whom made your brake. On my sport car my pad are cooler than on the AWD 4 runner. They both have Disc and both are very good brakes. Have fun with your new toy.

Just went out and check the sport car and it show in history that the pads run right at 185 average. All 4 are different and the 185 was the middle range. They are 5+ degrees different with the fronts the highest. My front pads are one brand and the rear another. On braking hard it shows 250 plus.

* This post was edited 05/02/21 08:29am by MountainAir05 *

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As someone that has been doing this for years, I can tell you that the results can be confusing until you understand what you are looking at in very complete terms.

The walk around did tell me that a rear wheel bearing was just a little too tight. The red numbers were right and I got that fixed before it became an expensive issue.

Our classic (boarding on antique) coach is a disk and drum set. I am also paranoid because it is old (so am I) and I really like to head off problems before they are expensive. We did have a caliper hang up and the routine temperature walk around told me about it early on and it was an easy fix.

What did puzzle me most was that when I did the walk at a mid-day stop, all the brakes on one side were hotter than those on the other.... We had been going west and the left side was hotter. When I was the reverse when we were home bound....

We now have an IR gun dedicated to the coach.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/21 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whenever I do brakes on cars (which is often) the biggest thing I look for is equal temps on both sides. As long as they're about the same I call it good to go.

If something isn't right the gun will let you know it.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/21 02:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

I can't say what temps to expect but unlike drum shoes, the disc pads rub all the time not just when brakes are applied.

I did a Google check on that very topic because a friend of mine thinks like you do, and I think differently, I think there is suppose to be an air gap
Pads that touch mean friction and drag, they will wear more, wear it faster, and get hotter,

What I found was the statement and drawings, that when brake pressure is removed the bellows style piston cover retracts the piston and disc/rotor "run out" forces the pads away from the surface allowing for an air gap between pad and rotor, no value was given for the size of the gap

They do not touch when wheels are turning aka driving down the road

Think about this
A tire with a 4ft circumference will spin 1300 times in one mile, if you are driving 60mph that tire is spinning at 1300 rpm , if a brake pad is touching the disc rotor, it and the rotor are going to get hot, that is what friction does, brake pads have lots of friction capability or your vehicle would not stop

* This post was edited 05/05/21 02:59am by MrWizard *

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/21 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

I did a Google check on that very topic because a friend of mine thinks like you do, and I think differently, I think there is suppose to be an air gap
Pads that touch mean friction and drag, they will wear more, wear it faster, and get hotter,

What I found was the statement and drawings, that when brake pressure is removed the bellows style piston cover retracts the piston and disc/rotor "run out" forces the pads away from the surface allowing for an air gap between pad and rotor, no value was given for the size of the gap

They do not touch when wheels are turning aka driving down the road

Think about this
A tire with a 4ft circumference will spin 1300 times in one mile, if you are driving 60mph that tire is spinning at 1300 rpm , if a brake pad is touching the disc rotor, it and the rotor are going to get hot, that is what friction does, brake pads have lots of friction capability or your vehicle would not stop

Go to a car race at night and it might make you rethink or every car out there is not set up right. I also think there is a gap " very small" but seeing them glow is another story. I have pulled brake pad off right after driving and you must have good gloves on to take them off. But I agree with you on the gap. I try to get runout to .002 or zero if I can. You will know it when they go out of round. Vehicles with a good brake job will not build up of rust or other stuff on the rotor due to the very low runout. They shine. Remember they are floating calipers.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Disc brakes temperatures
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.