Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Inconsiderate People
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Inconsiderate People

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As some folks on this forum are aware, I found it necessary to leave full time Rving almost 7 years ago due to a sudden, unexpected change in my physical condition. I eventually wound up living at extended stay hotels, which offer handicapped accessible rooms as well as kitchen facilities. I had lived in apartments before Rving and swore to myself never to return to that lifestyle ever again due to encounters with problem neighbors. So here I am, out of necessity, living in an apartment condition once again.

This morning (Sunday) at 3.00 AM I was awakened by a loud party taking place next door. There were so many people involved that many spilled out into the parking lot where they could be plainly heard carrying on. Being in a wheelchair, and basically defenseless, I don’t dare confront problematic people personally,as these people were evidently high on booze, and possibly drugs, totally oblivious to the ruckus they were making, and totally inconsiderate of the residents they were disturbing at such an ungodly hour. Fortunately, these extended stay hotels have staff on hand 24/7, So I called the night manager to complain about the noise (I wasn’t the first to call). So she came to the apartment and confronted the tenant, basically letting him know they would be evicted right away if they wouldn’t quiet down. I was able to hear the conversation. The tenant told her “We’re just having fun.” A typical attitude of some people today, who feel they can do whatever they want, regardless of how others feel. I take it as a sign of the times we\re’ living in, as evidenced by news reports of people carrying on in bad ways, feeling they’re entitled to do so. Just something we have to put up with at present, I guess.

To any of you folks who are currently full time Rving, I say enjoy it as long as you’re able. To my mind, there’s no better lifestyle. Only rarely have I ever had any problems with fellow Rvers (a barking dog on one occasion, which was quickly remedied). Living in apartments puts you only inches away from potentially bad actors. If my condition ever improves enough, it’ll be back to full timing again, but to be truthful, I don’t think that’s gonna happen in this lifetime!

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/21 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not just apartments. It's RV parks, neighborhoods and basically any type of living arrangement that exists. The up side to RVing is you can move your domicile if necessary.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before we moved into our current neighborhood we had several acres on top of a mountain. Nearest neighbor was about a half a mile away. It was nice and peaceful but a pain when going into town. Now we live in a neighborhood, and despite being a gated community with large lots, many/most folks still think it's ok to let their dogs poop in your yard, have late night parties with so many cars it almost chokes off the road, spray weed killer in your grass, etc.. Some neighbors think it's ok to start mowing at 7am on a Sunday. I was camping last weekend and my next door neighbor thought it was perfectly acceptable to to start slamming bin doors, starting his engine and all kinds of ruckus at 6:30 am. In short, most people simply do not care about anyone else but themselves. I think we have become a country of "it's all about me" and actually get confrontational and defensive when approached about it. I think it's actually become a fad to see just how disrespectful and careless of others you can be. Maybe I notice it more because I am constantly obvious about how my actions affect others. But folks either are completely oblivious and go through life with blinders or simply do not care about anyone else. " I have every right to do what I am doing and try and stop me" has become the latest trend. What they fail to see, and further refuse to see is that their "right" to be inconsiderate infringes on your rights. But I have seen more of it in the past few years where people are disrespectful on purpose and then want to get confrontational about it. I liked it better when people cared about one another and even if you didn't like them, you acted with respect and decorum. That doesn't really exist anymore.

Side-note but related. I used to study a lot about cultures and Empires, and throughout history when cultures thrived, people worked symbiotically, leaders cared and operated for the masses. Once things started to happen - like we are seeing now where people start caring only about themselves, every man for himself, leaders care more about power and gold than ethics and morals, the system starts to collapse from within. I don't want to get all doom and gloom, but it's happening right under our noses. Some people are perpetuating it on purpose. Countless Empires have risen and fallen and history continues to repeat itself.

* This post was edited 05/02/21 07:50am by way2roll *

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In your case a call to facilities management or even 9-1-1 might be in order

I understand, somwhat your issue. a combination of things moved me from full time RVing to an apartment. including worsening medical condition, though I'm still ambulatory I need to remain closer to some doctors than where I was in the winter last year.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, I agree with the above sentiments.It’s a situation that will no doubt worsen over time. Consider the rioters’ behavior we’ve seen on the news over the past year. These people had zero respect for their fellow citizens by trying to destroy entire towns. Most of them didn’t care about the reason why some were demonstrating. All they want is a chance to cause mayhem and loot various items from businesses. Just wait until the next police shooting! It’ll be all over the news again. [emoticon]

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

In your case a call to facilities management or even 9-1-1 might be in order

I understand, somwhat your issue. a combination of things moved me from full time RVing to an apartment. including worsening medical condition, though I'm still ambulatory I need to remain closer to some doctors than where I was in the winter last year.

Yes, a call to the police would have been the next step. Fortunately the night manager was on the situation right away and the noisy group finally quieted down, although they got a few more licks in before doing so. The problem is you can’t pick your neighbors in an apartment situation, and these hotels aren’t too anxious to evict tenants.

These extended stay hotels rely heavily on businesses who house their employees in these places on a temporary basis because it turns out cheaper for them in the long run rather than housing them in motels. Most of them are construction-type workers, and occasionally other types who need to relocate temporarily. Many of the construction workers are also very noisy, but usually only during the day. At least they have the decency to quiet down at night. I guess after a hard day’s work they need to let off steam.

At least if you’re a full time RVer you can move your domicile out of a bad situation. Usually most RVers have respect for their fellows, Of course, exceptions exist, as noted by one respondent on this thread.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I kind of got lucky with most of my neighboer where I am at.
The guy across the hall is kind of "Scruffy Looking" but he seems real nice and he has a Cat so when My cat passed on he got the unopened box of litter.

New one next door. can not comment
no problems with the folks in the next segment
And that leaves across the hall from next door.

They do get a bit loud but not loud enough to bother me if I'm in my apartment.. only if I'm in the hall. and I don't spend much time there less I'm fighting with a radio and I just beat it into submission this afternoon.

(The radio is a 2-way and I had a programming issue. it finally behaved)

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure a call to police for loud party is ever the best idea. Bad manners should never cause risk of death.

And lack of consideration is not a new thing. For a couple of months I worked as a Campground Host. 1 Thursday eve, right at 6, when I wanted to hear newscast from home, a site in the next loop kicked on there stereo. And loud enough that I could not hear my computer unless I turned it up, so the next site would have 2 reasons to be annoyed. I was off duty until 9 when quiet time starts. About 9:15, I was at their site, asking to turn it off. Somebody turned it down to a normal level "Is that better?" Well that would of been much better at 6, now it needs to be off because quiet hours. Some more mouthing, including 1 telling me he was Ill HP, (pulled notebook and pen, 'name and unit?' he headed for camper)finally turned it off. One of their arguments was "We aren't a bunch of collage kids, we are a family

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/21 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure a call to police for loud party is ever the best idea. Bad manners should never cause risk of death.

If that's your philosophy then why bother having law enforcement at all? Any encounter can turn out bad. The bad behavior will continue if no one tries to stop it. You do the best you can but sometimes it's beyond your control. It's like not standing up to a bully-if there's no repercussion for their bullying it never ends.

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A call to the police should be the FIRST move, not the last. If the noisemakers are the owner/manager's fair-haired boys, reporting them could get YOU in trouble. (BTDT) Confronting them yourself is probably a bad idea.

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 2 nutty cats...RIP, Maya ">
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Inconsiderate People
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.