cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Mattress

Whiskey_River
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new 2020 Grand Design Solitude and the mattress is with out a doubt the worst ever. It is a Michiana Evergreen 72x80, so called RV King. After a few weeks it has 2 depressions where we sleep. I first thought a topper might help, but after a couple more weeks, I knew it never would.
If these depressions were in your back yard, it would look like 2 bodies are buried there.
I want to buy a new mattress but have no clue what is a good brand, RV King 72x80 so you can't buy them just anywhere. I don't want to buy the same thing only under a different name.
Anyone else had the same problem & what did you buy.
15 REPLIES 15

poppa
Explorer
Explorer
Diamond c wrote:
We were camping in Nashville and since thereโ€™s a camping world next door we went to get a new mattress and some how left with a new 5er. It comes with a new mattress!
i like that!!!

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have this one in our RV and a full king at home and love them both. We got them on Amazon and have had the 12" one in our RV for 4 years and no sign of breaking down.

DynastyMattress 10-inch CoolBreeze Gel RV Memory Foam Mattress (King RV)
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
A full king is 76x80

Now this is specific to west Detroit, MI Telegraph 5 mile area but save for the name it's king of Generic.

There is a business on the east side of Telly I think between 5 and 6 (north of 6 is the last place you want to go on that side of the road, Trust me (Cemetery in case you don't get the joke) Tri-County matress Factory.

They can custom make any size, shape, thickness, firmness you want.

Many major cities have companies like that There is one near Flint, MI as well but I've never dealt with 'em.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ApexAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Whiskey River wrote:
I bought a new 2020 Grand Design Solitude and the mattress is with out a doubt the worst ever. It is a Michiana Evergreen 72x80, so called RV King. After a few weeks it has 2 depressions where we sleep. I first thought a topper might help, but after a couple more weeks, I knew it never would.
If these depressions were in your back yard, it would look like 2 bodies are buried there.
I want to buy a new mattress but have no clue what is a good brand, RV King 72x80 so you can't buy them just anywhere. I don't want to buy the same thing only under a different name.
Anyone else had the same problem & what did you buy.

I'm curious about this as well.

We will need to measure, but ours has a king bed and it's very, very hard. I usually prefer a firmer mattress and it's even too hard for me.

I don't know if we want to go for standard king size mattress. Weight is a concern, because our tongue weight is already pretty high.

I'll follow this thread and see what options there are.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
We never keep the mattress that came with the trailer. We ALWAYS bought a top of the line mattress like the one we sleep on at home. The Jayco's we have purchased always have accepted a queen size residential one. They just fit but they fit. We have never had a cheap one and those memory foam ones in our opinion are junk compared to a premium one. Just saying at 6' 3" and with a not so good back I don't discount what I sleep on several months of the year!!
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
A follow up to my post above:
We got our new Verlo this summer, and it is excellent. It's almost 4 inches thicker and is too heavy for the under bed storage struts, so I replaced the 80# struts with 150# struts and is good to go.
The custom radiused corners is a 25% upcharge making it $900.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
We were camping in Nashville and since thereโ€™s a camping world next door we went to get a new mattress and some how left with a new 5er. It comes with a new mattress!

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
My wife is complaining about the original 60x80 Denver Mattress that came with our Open Range. She put a topper on it when new, and I've been fine with it. We haven't bought a conventional mattress ever I think. We had traditional waterbeds for almost 40 years and after I had heart surgery 5 years ago, I couldn't climb in and out of it, so we bought an expensive Sleep Number (personally I think are overrated).
We stopped at Verlo a couple days ago. We will have to special order because of the radiused corners at the foot end. These new ones are several inches thicker and I'm sure heavier. I'm guessing I'll have to replace the struts for the under bed storage with stronger ones.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I just picked up a new Brody Euro Top 11โ€ mattress with separate pocket coils in a short queen size. She picked it out, as I could almost sleep on plywood. We havenโ€™t slept on it yet, but it felt comfy for the few minutes I laid on it at the store. I hadnโ€™t removed the bedding when I erroneously measured it at 72โ€ long, but it is in fact 75โ€. Here is a chart for anyone searching this in the future.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The one I purchased is the 8 1/2" Latex Mattress.

Using the camper this weekend, great night sleep last night.

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a mattress from Brooklyn RV Bedding and we absolutely LOVE IT!!! It sleeps as good if not better than our expensive Tempur-Pedic at home.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

Whiskey_River
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply's.
My mattress size is 72x80. Verlo & Sleep Dog does not make a 72x80.
Not sure why the RV industry has so many different sizes of mattresses. They must make the rig, then have someone like Michiana make a cheap mattress to fit.
Mattress Insider does make a 72x80, so thanks for your post Thermoguy. I want the same type firm mattress you talk about & not necessarily the top of the line. My back is aging as well. Insider makes 3 different mattresses in the 72x80 size.
Sedona their entry level & 5.5 inches thick
Aspen with 6" or 8" or 10" thick
Scarsdale Luxury with 9" thick
Do you recall what thickness you got. I'm going to get one & am somewhat gun shy and trying to eliminate the step of returning it or taking it to a local charity for a refund.
Thanks for your help....

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you sure itโ€™s 80? Iโ€™ve seen RV Kings at 75. https://www.sleepdogmattress.com/products/bigdawg-mattress
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Hands down the best mattress we have ever used at home or on the RV is made by Verlo.com. If you want the 2nd best mattress read the other responses.
BTW did you get a good deal on the price of the RV?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)