cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PullRite Super Glide hitch question

LRBill
Explorer
Explorer
We have just committed to buying a new to us 37' Montana and GMC short bed pickup. We currently own the same model truck and a 30 Durango using a Reese manual slider. The new rig has a PullRite SuperGlide and I am totally unfamiliar with it's operation.
Is there any big difference in backing up with the PullRite? Other than automatically sliding to the rear, does it create any difference in how the trailer backs up?
Thanks for your thoughts.....

Bill
18 REPLIES 18

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like prior to 2008 require Conventional Grease
2008-2009 uses something called Slip Plate
After Dec 2009 to current calls for WD40

Like I said.. didn't realize the Superglide was that old.

Mike

The SG my buddy had was on a new '07/'08 ?? 2500 chevy. His truck was the first year of the then new GM body style.

His hitch bound up while making a turn out onto a state highway and puked the pin out of the hitch taking the tail gate out and the trailer landed in the middle of the road. And like I said PullRite gave him a brand new hitch....and a supply of proper lube. Can't beat that kind of service.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
Ok... I didn't know they made the Superglide in 2010 or so. Thought that was a newer hitch, but know I see on their website they have the traditional series and the ISR series.

Mike

C.B. has it correct.

The: "prior to 2008 require Conventional Grease"
Partially correct - they required white lithium grease (yes attracted dirt!). Still have a spray can of it.

Then: Slip Plate - in spray cans by Superior Graphite Corp., "Heavy Duty Dry Film Lubricant (for) wherever you have a problem of sliding friction, or unwanted build-up and sticking" was the answer *AND* substitute for the greasy kid stuff -also- approved by SG.

Kinda looks like you're "painting" the way tubes black due to the graphite. Get a "wear spot" where you can see metal - just spray a bit more.

BTW - cans of Slip Plate have a laundry list of potential uses for Farm, Home & Industrial uses on the cans. Great stuff!

No doubt there are other brands (now) of a similar product.

When: SG came out with plastic covered way tubes - WD 40 was the lubricant specified by SG.

Always: If all else fails, read the directions for whatever product you have! Don't believe what someone tells you on an internet forum.
*Verify* the information!

PullRite has an outstanding Tech Line - which was very helpful when I installed mine in 2005! (And - my SG still works just fine!)

:C

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bought my SG in 2005. Still works great. Initially it was grease but we all upgraded to graphite spray at some point.

Yes there is a new model with nylon sliders that use a light oil for lube.

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Interesting JIMLIN because PullRite recommends WD40.

Page 6 of users manual

Hi Mike....thats true for your owners manual but as I mentioned in some years PullRite recommended other lubes lubri-plate spray on lube? I think was the name. If I remember correct this was the lube PullRite told my buddy he should have been using. The incident was some time back in the mid '00 era.

Yup. It was the earlier models. I had one. The manual specified lithium grease as I recall and later they recommended SlipPlate graphite spray that went on like paint. In later models they changed the way tubes to accept WD40.

Ooops ... didn't notice there was another page of responses. Sorry for the redundancy.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
WOW Talk about a blast from the past!!!!!!!!

Nice to hear from you flyswamper!

Making myself old here.

My 16K Superglide will be 19 years old in spring of 22.

Still works great.

One of the best decisions I made back in 2003.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

flyswamper
Explorer
Explorer
If my memory isn't failing me, I was arguing with C.B. about the merits of a superglide hitch back in the mid 2000's. I think it was about 2007 that I changed my tow vehicle and he had worn me down enough that I got one myself. 🙂 So yeah... it's been around a while. 🙂

(No point to my post here except to kinda say howdy to C.B...... I haven't poked my head in these forums in forever and a day...but I'm still out here kicking.)

Constructive

disagreement is encouraged. It is how I/we learn!

Dad,Mom, & 3 kiddos (all grown up now)
Some videos of my current hobby...
Current Home - Katy, TX

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok... I didn't know they made the Superglide in 2010 or so. Thought that was a newer hitch, but know I see on their website they have the traditional series and the ISR series.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Prior to using plastic wear plates Pullrite recommended using white lithium grease for lubrication. Never used grease on on mine. Grease attracts dirt and grit.
Have been using a product Called SlipPlate dry graphite for 18 years
with no problems.

Below is from Pullrite owners Instructions.

November 2009 brings a new innovation from PullRite Towing Systems with the use of plastics.
The Turntable Cam Arm Assembly is now equipped with Plastic Wear Plates. It is imperative that you read each of the
following sections so you can learn how to care for your hitch properly.

The Plastic Wear Plates of the SuperGlide’s Turntable Cam Arm Assembly were designed to glide along the surfaces
without the need for heavy lubrication. To protect against rust and to enhance the ease of turning on the Way Tubes,
a light oil (WD-40 or a 3-in-1 oil) should be applied to the Way Tubes’ top and inward facing sides and between the
front and rear openings in the Plastic Wear Plates positioned around the Turntable/Cam Arm Shaft.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
+1 Depends on how old the pull rite is. I think the lube instructions changed around 2010-2011.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

Page 6 of users manual

Hi Mike....thats true for your owners manual but as I mentioned in some years PullRite recommended other lubes lubri-plate spray on lube? I think was the name. If I remember correct this was the lube PullRite told my buddy he should have been using. The incident was some time back in the mid '00 era.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II

Page 6 of users manual

When storing the SuperGlide hitch, you should be sure that the Fifth Wheel Plate parts and Way Tubes are lubricated with WD-40 to ****** the formation of rust. Cover the entire assembly to prevent accumulation of dirt, grime, or rust.

To protect against rust and to enhance the ease of turning on the Way Tubes,
a light oil (WD-40 or a 3-in-1 oil) should be applied to the Way Tubes’ top and inward facing sides and between the front and rear openings in the Plastic Wear Plates positioned around the Turntable/Cam Arm Shaft.

The PullRite Superglide is my first, and currently only, 5er hitch, and I love it. It's pretty **** heavy though.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Pullrite has changes lubrication types over the years so make sure it gets lubed per PullRite specs for that year model hitch. Don't do it like my buddy...he was spraying his SG hitch with WD-40 some on his brand trailer forum told him to use. It galled the slide portion really bad. PullRite directed him to go back to the PullRite dealer where he purchased the hitch and gave him a new one fresh out of the box. Good company to deal with.

LRBill
Explorer
Explorer
They are being bought from the same party so no worries there.
Thanks!

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like the truck and trailer are coming from the same party. If not, you will need a capture plate for the trailer's pin box which are not all the same.